Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Les Paul Classic Neck Pickup Adjustment

NighthawkChris

Ok so I bought a new Classic 2018 and I noticed the P90 at the neck pickup was tilted as it was secured. I thought well huh... let’s take this thing out of the body and see what’s going on in there. So I proceeded to do so and nothing looked crazy in the cavity. Then I resecured the pickup. Just couldn’t understand what was going on. I then decided to take the pick guard off and then the pickup leveled itself with the body so to speak. Basically the plane of the pickup face is parallel with the top of the guitar - what I believe to be correct. So the pick guard was screwed on improperly to the point where it pushed in the side of the P90 to tilt it towards the bridge direction. Thought it was pretty janky. I decided to file the plastic on the guard down around the pickup cutout and the problem was solved finally.

Another thing that I found kind of janky was the tuning machine nuts were all super loose. Like I could take off all of them with my hand alone. Of course I tightened them. You’d think for a guitar like that where it comes with a photo and all that crap you couldn’t tighten 6 critical nuts down... whatever it’s an easy fix. I’m glad I’ve learned a few things over the years how to take care of my guitars and crap. I know what to look for on these things.

Regardless the guitar is nice, but had 3 issues total resolved before buying it. First the nut slot on the D was too shallow and the string moved around on the nut when bends were taking place. This had to be filed more. The other 2 things are what I described above. Guitar was on sale and new Gibson’s smell so good haha! It’s a nice goldtop and it sounds and plays amazing. It’s a nice solid block of wood too. I mean anyone who holds this first time will notice the extra pound or two of wood. This guitar is quite a value and it makes you feel good to look at it and then to hear how nice it sounds through the amp. This guitar was the one I played and I knew I wanted it. I gave up keeping a used Les Paul Gem Studio in sapphire for this gold top Classic. I think I made the right choice. I like this Classic more than that Gem. And the Classic is brand new... Anyhow thanks for reading my babble 😁

I played a 2018 Classic Goldtop over the weekend for a long time. She was sure it was coming home with us that day but I couldn't afford it being right after Christmas and overspending on gifts for everyone. Later this month, maybe! But, the one I played was impeccable. The look and tone was amazing. The neck was straight, string height was about right. The P90's were quite responsive and sounded fantastic.

My Goldtop Tribute is 8 pounds 15 ounces. This one was definitely heavier than that, with no weight relief. The sustain was fantastic on that guitar. I think it may come home some day. She really thought I was going to get it when I had her take a picture of me holding it and playing it.

I will tell you, these Classics are worth it - phenomenal guitar. I had some pretty minor things to iron out as I explained in this section of the forum (Gibson USA) in a couple posts, but after I took a few minutes to iron these out, the guitar is incredible! Honestly, I get anxious to get home and play it...

I really enjoyed it as well when I was playing it. That will probably be a purchase this year. I'll probably go through Sweetwater, just because I've heard so many good things about them and their inspection process.

Speaking of straight necks, I think I like my V's neck dead straight. I know you're *supposed* to have some relief, but I get absolutely zero fret buzz with the neck totally straight, and it just feels... better.

Funny, because I wouldn't like my LP without a fair bit of relief in the neck.

Archived