View Postzombywoof, on 04 January 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

Excellent. Thanks!

#22 User is offline   bassetman 

• Just play the thing
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationFar Eastern Washington State.

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostRed 333, on 03 January 2018 - 11:53 PM, said:

This was a characteristic of Gibson back bracing in the mid thirties. Beside on the AJ, you'll see this low, wide bracing on some J-35s (but not all of them!), Ray Whitley Recording Kings (they were built by Gibson and are similar to the J-35), and I think the J-55 (though I will have to refer back to pictures of I've taken of the J-55s I've seen to be sure).

Red 333

My 2016 J35 has the thin tall bracing.
J-45 Koa Elite, 2014
J-35 2016
LG-2 American Eagle 2017
J-15 2017
AJ Flame Maple Deluxe 2016
Breedlove solo 12 cedar top.
Fender MIM Standard Strat.

#23 User is online   Red 333 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

bassetman, on 05 January 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

My 2016 J35 has the thin tall bracing.

Yes.

In response to your post where you said it was interesting that your AJ's back braces were different from your other Gibsons, I started to talk about Gibson bracing in a historical context. The guitars I am talking about in the post you replied to above are 1930s/40s vintage. Sorry for the confusion. I later posted some pictures that I took of these different back bracing patterns on some mid-thirties to early forties Gibsons. See my post on the previous page where we discuss modern Gibson bracing.

To be clear, all J-35s built since the model's reintroduction in the 2000s (so far!) have the medium density*, tall back braces as found on the J-45 Standard, and the wide x bracing found on the modern Advanced Jumbo. I believe this to be true about the current model called the J-35 Vintage Collector's Edition, but I have not seen one in person and rely on photos from Gibson's website. The exception is the model named the Fuller's 1939 J-35 Reissue, which has the Advanced Jumbo's low and heavy back bracing. This model is sold exclusively by Fuller's Vintage Guitar in Houston, TX (the largest Gibson Acoustic dealer in the US, I think). It's possible there may be some variation of this model made for other Five Star Dealers made over the decade or so, as well.

Red 333

I don't know what Gibson calls them, but I call these braces medium density because they are not as thin as the "knife's blade" back bracing found on forties-era Gibsons, or the current J-45 Legend, for instance.

This post has been edited by Red 333: 05 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

#24 User is offline   groovadelic 

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Apologies if this was mentioned - i did not read through all the comments, but there's a youtube clip explaining the difference.

https://www.youtube....h?v=kTh-bDuRGDA
1963 Gibson Everly Brothers
2008 Gibson Hummingbird TV VOS

#25 User is offline   PickitPaul 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

Here are my two Gibsons. The '03 WM45 which is braced like a regular ol' J45 (not forward shifted) and a '91 Southern Jumbo, back braces fatter and a bit lower than the WM45 - and the X braces are not forward shifted, like the WM45 or any J45 is supposed to be. But if I feel the x cross with my finger, the Southern J. is much lower away from sound hole than the WM45 - and they should both be the same? And the braces seem at wider angle on the SJ.

They sound similar but the WM45 has more in the face projection, more mid range out front and growl, whereas the Southern J. has more reverb to the bass and a more of nasal twang to the mids when pushed harder. SJ is smoother more mellow in tone overall. Both thump pretty good.

The last two pics show the WM45 is more forward and not as wide angle apart as the SJ, when I thought they was no difference in bracing in the modern 45 series?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by PickitPaul: 09 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users