Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LG-1

NCtom

I just broke my rule (again) and bought an underpriced '16 Oxnard, Ca factory M-40, which used to be the F-20. I'll play this side by side with my '69 F-20 and flip the lesser. That or mount another hanger.

That sounds like it would be a fun duo.

Pick up the wall hanger!

Yep, can't wait to A-B the Hoboken F20, which I'd describe as bright, maybe 'brash' with certain strings, and the modern M40 version. I'm guessing it will be like the new mahog M20 I had tried and sold, sounding too much like the L0, only 3X more comfortable to fret. Will the spruce top sound different enough for my ear to tell the dif? Guess I'll see. The M40 should be sitting in the chilly local UPS warehouse, so I'll open it up in my equally chilly basement to assess, then bite my lip and close the lid for a day to let it acclimate upstairs.

I'll be flipping one of these sucka's at some point having invested just under a thousand bucks each...money I don't have for this luxury. I fear it will be a difficult choice, but I'm bumping into the 'too many guitars' wall yet again.

If I can figure out how to somewhat accurately capture the tonal differences with my little Zoom recorder I'll post an email here should someone care to hear.

Got the guitar here, with negotiated lower price.

https://reverb.com/i...specs-per-guild

It reminds me of my Australian made Maton (SRS808) - looks similar - 0018/LG size but mine is Cedar over Australian Blackwood. I just love that size guitar and they first made them in 1978 and I saw an old timer that does ‘old style Australian country music’ playing a wonderful, beaten up one from about that time. It then entered my head that it would be pretty cool to own a 78 ish worn but playable 808 Maton, but they must be either ‘tightly held’ or fallen to pieces because I haven’t seen one. The oldest I have seen is probably 15 years old, not what I mean. I suppose I want an Australian version of my 59 LG3........ I better go play that....now....

BluesKing777.

I just broke my rule (again) and bought an underpriced '16 Oxnard, Ca factory M-40, which used to be the F-20. I'll play this side by side with my '69 F-20 and flip the lesser. That or mount another hanger.

Good-looking guitar, with nice specs.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward having an easy to handle player around. It's a comfortable neck shape for me along with a wide nut. The little Guilds feel like LG2/3's; sturdy with percussive qualities for flat picking.

I am joining this posting string late.

I have a 1965 LG1. I have had it since circa 1990. Great guitar! It was always a bit stiff and soft sounding, but always great to finger pick on. In about 2012, it suddenly opened up sound-wise. Got much louder and was no longer stiff to play. Now it’s great to finger-pick on as well as strum. Guess it just took some time to break in. It is now a great guitar!

Just my experience...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived