Gibson Brands Forums

Probucker Pickups

EdwardEX8

Hello,

I recently bought a used Epi LP Custom Pro (Serial number 12081506543) made by Epi’s Custom Shop and wanted to ask some questions. Generally, it seems like the body is in very good condition, and only needed a good cleaning, and all the electronics seem to work as they should, but I’m not sure if they are original. I went through the electronics and saw that the neck pickup is Epiphone USA and the bridge pickup is Gibson USA. Did Epi normally mix their own components with Gibby’s components on pieces from the Custom Shop, or is this likely something the previous owner did?

If the pickups are a modification by the previous owner, I’d like to restore them to the original factory configuration. In photos of the probucker wiring harness I’ve seen online, the volume pots have a little circuit board with a quick connect, but the pups on mine are soldered to the pots directly. Has the factory Epi probucker harness always used quick connects for the pups? In other words, did Epi use quick connects on its Probucker wiring harness in 2012?

Thanks for looking, and any help is appreciated!

Hello,

I recently bought a used Epi LP Custom Pro (Serial number 12081506543) made by Epi's Custom Shop and wanted to ask some questions. Generally, it seems like the body is in very good condition, and only needed a good cleaning, and all the electronics seem to work as they should, but I'm not sure if they are original. I went through the electronics and saw that the neck pickup is Epiphone USA and the bridge pickup is Gibson USA. Did Epi normally mix their own components with Gibby's components on pieces from the Custom Shop, or is this likely something the previous owner did?

If the pickups are a modification by the previous owner, I'd like to restore them to the original factory configuration. In photos of the probucker wiring harness I've seen online, the volume pots have a little circuit board with a quick connect, but the pups on mine are soldered to the pots directly. Has the factory Epi probucker harness always used quick connects for the pups? In other words, did Epi use quick connects on its Probucker wiring harness in 2012?

Thanks for looking, and any help is appreciated!

First, Epiphone does not have a "Custom Shop"- like Gibson. The Custom Shop moniker on Epiphones denotes that the guitar is some kind of limited run, or special version.

I get the feeling the pickups in your guitar were modified by a previous owner. There are a few Epiphone models that come stock with Gibson USA pickups though. The mix of Epiphone and Gibson in your guitar seems to be done by someone else.

Archived