Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson ES Les Paul Truss Rod????? - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson ES Les Paul Truss Rod?????

#1 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 407
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

I am just now getting around to Setting up my brand new Gibson ES Les Paul.

I discovered it didn't come with a Truss Rod Tool. I called Gibson & the Rep said the y don't come with new Gibsons anymore. (My new Fenders came with them.) So, then I tried an older Truss Rod Tool from my '90's Gibson Les Paul & it wouldn't fit. I ordered one from Amazon which was supposedly for a Gibson Les Paul & it didn't fit. So I ordered one directly from Gibson. I doesn't fit either.

None of them will fit on the Truss Rod bolt. It's either the worng size Bolt, which I doubt, or the cavity wasn't Routed out enough.

Anyone else have this problem? Any idea what's going on? Any idea what I should do??

Thanks,

Lars

This post has been edited by Larsongs: 02 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

0

#2 User is offline   FZ Fan 

  • Jumbo Go Away
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7020
  • Joined: 15-October 13
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostLarsongs, on 02 January 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

I am just now getting around to Setting up my brand new Gibson ES Les Paul.

I discovered it didn't come with a Truss Rod Tool. I called Gibson & the Rep said the y don't come with new Gibsons anymore. (My new Fenders came with them.) So, then I tried an older Truss Rod Tool from my '90's Gibson Les Paul & it wouldn't fit. I ordered one from Amazon which was supposedly for a Gibson Les Paul & it didn't fit. So I ordered one directly from Gibson. I doesn't fit either.

None of them will fit on the Truss Rod bolt. It's either the worng size Bolt, which I doubt, or the cavity wasn't Routed out enough.

Anyone else have this problem? Any idea what's going on? Any idea what I should do??

Thanks,

Lars


Can you put a nut driver or socket on there to see what size it is?
0

#3 User is offline   surfpup 

  • Picker and Grinner
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10860
  • Joined: 26-May 08
  • LocationSaint Augustine, FL

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

I just use a 1/8 drive socket that fits and extension half the time anyway.
0

#4 User is offline   JayinLA 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 607
  • Joined: 24-December 15
  • LocationDTLA

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

View PostLarsongs, on 02 January 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

I am just now getting around to Setting up my brand new Gibson ES Les Paul.

I discovered it didn't come with a Truss Rod Tool. I called Gibson & the Rep said the y don't come with new Gibsons anymore. (My new Fenders came with them.) So, then I tried an older Truss Rod Tool from my '90's Gibson Les Paul & it wouldn't fit. I ordered one from Amazon which was supposedly for a Gibson Les Paul & it didn't fit. So I ordered one directly from Gibson. I doesn't fit either.

None of them will fit on the Truss Rod bolt. It's either the worng size Bolt, which I doubt, or the cavity wasn't Routed out enough.

Anyone else have this problem? Any idea what's going on? Any idea what I should do??

Thanks,

Lars



You can pick up at any music shop, I always have one in a case, in case

http://www.therecord...ulti-tool-case/
0

#5 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 407
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

View PostFZ Fan, on 02 January 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

Can you put a nut driver or socket on there to see what size it is?


Nope, that didn't work. There just doesn't seem to be enough clearance from the outside of the Nut to the carved out Wood to get either one on.

This post has been edited by Larsongs: 02 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

0

#6 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 407
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

View PostJayinLA, on 02 January 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

You can pick up at any music shop, I always have one in a case, in case

http://www.therecord...ulti-tool-case/


Not seeing a Gibson Les Paul 5/16" Truss Rod Tool?
0

#7 User is offline   Johnny 6 String 

  • Just one of the boys...
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 556
  • Joined: 01-September 11
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

View PostLarsongs, on 02 January 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

Not seeing a Gibson Les Paul 5/16" Truss Rod Tool?



Hey Larsong;

I bought this one from Stewmac, it works on my 76 and 87 LPCs and my 12 SG.

http://www.stewmac.c...d_Wrenches.html

Hope this helps


Johnny
0

#8 User is offline   LarryUK 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 4429
  • Joined: 12-May 10
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:59 AM

Post a few pics of the void.
0

#9 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 407
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

View PostLarryUK, on 03 January 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

Post a few pics of the void.



Update,,,, I told Customer Service at Gibson about the issue & shipped it back to Gibson Memphis today to have repaired under Warranty..

Thanks for the Feedback..
0

#10 User is offline   Twang Gang 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1275
  • Joined: 26-November 12
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

Wow that's crazy to have to ship it back because you can't get a tool on the truss nut. This is not the first I've heard of this problem though. Something weird is going on. The other poster that had this problem, Gibson told him there might be too much Lacquer inside the truss tunnel. That doesn't seem right as every time I have adjusted a truss rod nut it seems there isn't much if any finish in there.

Obviously they are fitting a larger nut to the end of the truss rod - but how'd they get it in there in the first place?

Very strange, but unlike little finish flaws this is something that really has to be corrected. Let us know how it turns out if you get an answer to what they did when it comes back.
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2010 Fender Telecaster (Ash)
2006 Taylor Grand Symphony (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2
0

#11 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 407
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

View PostTwang Gang, on 04 January 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

Wow that's crazy to have to ship it back because you can't get a tool on the truss nut. This is not the first I've heard of this problem though. Something weird is going on. The other poster that had this problem, Gibson told him there might be too much Lacquer inside the truss tunnel. That doesn't seem right as every time I have adjusted a truss rod nut it seems there isn't much if any finish in there.

Obviously they are fitting a larger nut to the end of the truss rod - but how'd they get it in there in the first place?

Very strange, but unlike little finish flaws this is something that really has to be corrected. Let us know how it turns out if you get an answer to what they did when it comes back.


I was told the same thing by both Sweetwater & Gibson regarding too much Lacquer in Truss tunnel. But it looked like there was hardly any if any at all?

I'm still trying to figure out how it got past both Gibson & Sweetwater? It was almost Set up to Factory Specs. But I like the Action lower than Factory Spec. How did they Set it up?

When did Gibson quit including Truss Rod Tools?
0

#12 User is offline   ChristopherJ 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 04-January 11

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

On both my ES Les Pauls the truss rod nut was lacquered over. I had to scrape away the lacquer around the back side of the nut and also the nut itself was covered in a lacquer coating. There was no way either of them had a truss rod adjustment post finish spraying (by Gibson or the vendor). Both needed adjustment out of the box.
0

#13 User is offline   Mister G 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 05-January 18

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

2 month ago i bough an second hand ES335 ,the trussrod was at his max with a 10/52 strings set .
Before break it , i decide to sale the guitar and buy a new ES335 a 1969 reissue from Menphis factory.
I received it 3 days ago, put a 10/52 set and began to adjust the trussrod ... same problem this one is very hard too .
WHAT HAPPEN WITH GIBSON'sTrussrods ?
0

#14 User is offline   kaicho8888 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 668
  • Joined: 22-January 08
  • LocationCity of Rock'n Roll San Francisco

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

I had the same problem with a maple neck Lucille. The routing around the truss rod nut was tight and I had to sand around the nut. Luckily, only did it once after 17 years. Even then it played fine.
Old Rockers never die; we just fade away! 会長
0

#15 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 407
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

View PostChristopherJ, on 05 January 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

On both my ES Les Pauls the truss rod nut was lacquered over. I had to scrape away the lacquer around the back side of the nut and also the nut itself was covered in a lacquer coating. There was no way either of them had a truss rod adjustment post finish spraying (by Gibson or the vendor). Both needed adjustment out of the box.


Mine didn't appear to have excess Lacquer on the Nut or in the Cavity. I lightly scraped the Nut but not so much it looked like abused anything. After several tries & a few ?Gibson Les Paul Truss Rod Tools I decided to escalate the issue..
0

#16 User is offline   ChristopherJ 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 04-January 11

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

Here is the truss rod nut on on of my ES Les Paul's named "Plug". You can see the puddle of lacquer on the bottom of the cutout that was preventing the tool from going onto the nut. Also notice it is drilled off-center.

Posted Image

She is named Plug because of this:

Posted Image

Looks like what is used for a side fret marker.

Plug is on the left:

Posted Image

Posted Image
0

#17 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 407
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

View PostChristopherJ, on 06 January 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

Here is the truss rod nut on on of my ES Les Paul's named "Plug". You can see the puddle of lacquer on the bottom of the cutout that was preventing the tool from going onto the nut. Also notice it is drilled off-center.

Posted Image

She is named Plug because of this:

Posted Image

Looks like what is used for a side fret marker.

Plug is on the left:

Posted Image

Posted Image


Wow!!! That's alot of lacquer!!! Mine didn't have anything like that.. Crooked Truss Rod?? Mine didn't appear to have that either. I'm wondering if they put the wrong size Truss Rod Bolt on?? Otherwise how could they have even Set it up Close too Gibson Spec???

Incidentally, I recently found out here theat even though I just bought it new a couple months ago it was built in 2014....There seems to be a lot of Old Stock out there.... May be why gibson's not going to Winter NAMM??
0

#18 User is offline   ChristopherJ 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 04-January 11

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

View PostLarsongs, on 06 January 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

I'm wondering if they put the wrong size Truss Rod Bolt on?? Otherwise how could they have even Set it up Close too Gibson Spec???



Of course they are not using one-off truss rods and nuts. The correct rod and nut is installed, but impossible to use. The bigger issue that you hit on is that it would be impossible to set up such a guitar after finish spraying...either by Gibson or the sweet dealer who supposedly does a multi-point inspection.

Of my N of 2, both ES LP's impossible to adjust without cleaning out the lacquer first.
0

#19 User is offline   Megafrog 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1023
  • Joined: 17-November 16
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

They seem to be taking a lot of short cuts and letting a lot of garbage slide in both Nashville and Memphis.
Equipment:
I have guitars, amps, pedals, cables, various other things and a strong affinity for short signature lines. . .
0

#20 User is offline   cjsinla 

  • Chris in Los Angeles
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1804
  • Joined: 21-January 13

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

View PostMegafrog, on 06 January 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

They seem to be taking a lot of short cuts and letting a lot of garbage slide in both Nashville and Memphis.

Not so sure about that. I have purchased two new ES models in the last 12 months or so and they had no issues. YMMV
Life is too short to play crappy guitars:

1959 Les Paul Jr
1960 Melody Maker
1979 Flying V
1982 Heritage Flying V
1982 30th Anniversary Les Paul
2009 VOS Les Paul Special DC
2011 50th Anniversary Pete Townsend SG
2011 61ri SG
2011 VOS 1960 Les Paul Special
2013 SG Original
2013 61 Les Paul SG
2013 ES335
2014 Les Paul R6 Goldtop
2014 Les Paul Traditional
2015 VOS 59 ES330
2015 VOS 63 ES335
2016 VOS 1960 Les Paul Special DC
0

Share this topic:


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users