Gibson Brands Forums

Dreadful quality from Gibson USA.

LarryUK

Yeah, I wouldn't be too bothered about the stuff you are getting back on Plug, haha! I must admit, the lack of nibs fooled me, and I forgot about 2015 too...

Talking about your truss rod, it seemed like from what I read that this is not able to be adjusted? I could live with the fretboard imperfection, but the TR being a pain to deal with is a deal breaker to me. This is one of my checks of a guitar - if I can use the TR to at least make neck straight as possible. You just have to know that the TR CAN work for you. These days buying a Gibson takes skills, haha! You don't want to buy something that is F'ed because you eat the bill and are stuck with a repair that could be potentially costly. Unfair, yes, but it's the way it goes. Sometimes, you're lucky, other times not so much.

The truss rod was made to work. I cleaned out all the lacquer around and on the nut (had to do it to two ES Les Paul's). The biggest thing that had me concerned was the off center truss rod causing a twist in the neck. Hasn't happened yet though. I do all my own work and have actually built a few guitars and ukes. Yes, it seems having some basic luthier skills can be quite helpful.

Such a shame one has to be lucky now a days when buying a new Gibson.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the tuners; why do you think it is that Gibson don't use a template/jig for the positioning of the tuner screws? This has to be why the some tuners are not aligned properly with each other; the screws have been put in lovingly by hand. I believe the same goes for pick-up rings. My 87 Les Paul is great; I love it, bought it new and it plays really well, no real issues but several years ago I removed the pick guard for a more naked look and only then did I notice that the bridge pickup is just slightly out of alignment with the neck one. It's really subtle and I think the angle of the adjacent bridge and obviously the pick guard masked the offset pickup. It has no bearing on play-ability or tone but obviously, my pickup ring screws were set by hand without the use of a jig. I'm probably the only one that notices it but an error like this is unnecessary; just bad "craftsmanship".

Gibson :

sg_sta32.jpg

And yet your profile picture is of a SG with white binding like what the OP posted. Is that SG fake because the binding is different? You have not justified why you say the OPs guitar is fake. What you have proved is that Gibson has used binding like that before.

• 3 months later...

These mistakes to me are from non luthiers working on the guitars and workers being rushed to finish. How can a company survive with output like this? Perhaps Gibson could respond to this?

I am taken aback by these images of very poor workmanship standards.

However,I still hope Gibson will survive after Chapter 11 bankruptcy and get their quality product reputation back via USA production plant,ownership,managementand staff.

Chris.

I am taken aback by these images of very poor workmanship standards.

However,I still hope Gibson will survive after Chapter 11 bankruptcy and get their quality product reputation back via USA production plant,ownership,managementand staff.

Chris.

I don’t think they’ll disappear. I could see Joe Bonamassa having a place there in time. On the board? I think guitar companies, just like any specific thing, golf clubs, shoes, etc need a player at the top.

Do you ever go into a hospital and think ‘who designed this, It wasn’t a doctor or nurse’?

I hope they streamline and move the stupid bits away. I think they should keep Epiphone. But quality is the top point. When you look at Prs, Knaggs, Kiesal, Collins’s etc, the list goes on.

If they can do it right, Gibson can. Then they need to stop blackmailing dealers into having guitars they don’t want.

Archived