Gibson Brands Forums

Doubts about my new SJ-200

woodlands52

Just purchased a 2017 SJ-200 True Vintage from Musicians Friend. The first thing I noticed was that the color was way off from what I saw in all the photos and videos, not red at all on the sunburst, as I had expected. It was a "vintage-looking" tobacco look. Still very good looking axe. The next thing I noticed, at almost the same time, were all the swirl marks from a hack polishing job. Not what I would expect from a "new" instrument. Then when I try to look up the serial number, no success. Any suggestions on what to do next? I like the guitar, but I paid a lot of $$ (at least to me it is) and I was not expecting to get a used guitar (that's what this looks like to me).

The True Vintage models usually have what Gibson calls their VOS finish, which is indeed hazy and swirly, as it's supposed to mimic an aged patina. It's pretty easy to buff it to a satiny sheen if you don't like it. Just use a soft microfibre and a mild polish like Maguaires Scratch X.

Red 333

If you don’t like the finish, I’m sure MF with a cash adjustment will let you send it back and exchange it for a Standard or one of the Dylan models, both of which are finished in high gloss nitrocellulose.

TV models have long had the “played” patina finish. This is the tricky part of buying online-you can’t get the thing in your hands before putting the cash on the barrelhead.

Most importantly, how does it sound? I love the fancy Gibsons (hence my SJ200, Dove and Hummingbird 6 and 12) but the looks are just salad, when I’m playing them I can’t see them!

I agree with Jinder, that's how those look.

Tone? How's the tone?

Oh, and there is no way Musicians Friend sold you a used guitar for a new one.

I've bought from them and Sweetwater for decades and I'd be shocked if that happened.

so, where did you try to find the serial #? when in doubt, just call the customer service line.

MF sold you the real deal, I can't imagine you'd get boned from them

regarding the finish, what they said -- I have a 2016 standard, not the same finish... it's one awesome acoustic.

Thanks for all your input. I didn't know about the "played in" look. I can live with that, & can indeed buff it out some day if I ever tire of it. Aliasphobias, thanks for showing me how to interpret the s/n. Accordingly, mine was then mfg in 2016, which jives with it being sold as a 2017 model. I feel much better, now. As for how it plays & sounds: it's new, so action is a bit high, but it sounds very good & is very comfortable to my hands & body. Once I get the action set right I know it'll be great. BTW, I'm new to this forum, but have it bookmarked for regular visits. HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

I'm (easily) confused. Did you buy a 2017 SJ200 True Vintage? Or a 2017 SJ200 Vintage?

The 'True' was a term used in the name of the earlier version of this model, and dropped when changes were made. Same evolution for the J45 and H'Bird.

Originally, in the early 2000's ,there were only 'standard' versions available, then significant upgrades made to add a second version - 'True Vintage" version. Then after several years, that "True Version" version went away and was replaced by an upgraded "Vintage". The wood used for the top was changed and it was aged with a slight heat treatment called 'torrification'.

Sometimes the terms are confused and interchanged by third parties, vendors, reviewers, and us - I've seen Guitar Center in the past mis-label the guitars on their website, for example. The actual version of the guitar is specified clearly by Gibson and can be differentiated by the spec sheet they include with the case candy. I'm sure yours is a '2017 SJ200 Vintage'.

You noted 'the color was way off from all the pictures and videos' you've seen. The age-treated top is much darker on the Vintage: You may have been Googling pictures of the True Vintage.

'A Rose By Any Other Name ...' the questions you have with the guitar you bought non-withstanding, the previous comments address your actual concerns. G'Lucck

Thanks for all your input. I didn't know about the "played in" look. I can live with that, & can indeed buff it out some day if I ever tire of it. Aliasphobias, thanks for showing me how to interpret the s/n. Accordingly, mine was then mfg in 2016, which jives with it being sold as a 2017 model. I feel much better, now. As for how it plays & sounds: it's new, so action is a bit high, but it sounds very good & is very comfortable to my hands & body. Once I get the action set right I know it'll be great. BTW, I'm new to this forum, but have it bookmarked for regular visits. HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

Welcome, and enjoy the guitar.

I bought an L-OO Legend with the VOS finish a few years ago, and got a discount because the consigner thought the finish was damaged by bad polishing. I brought it about halfway to full gloss by using Virtuoso Cleaner, followed by Virtuoso Polish. The guitar retains an aged patina, but without the obvious polishing swirls of the VOS finish.

Mine was high too, but the luthier I went to set it up or me while I waited (15/20 minutes)... a bit of material off the saddle, and a bit of nut regulation and BANG! it was like night and day. The only think I will mention to you is watch that Anthem pickup. They tend to be rattle traps after a while. Drove me insane.. replaced it with a Fishman Infinity.

The True Vintage models usually have what Gibson calls their VOS finish, which is indeed hazy and swirly, as it's supposed to mimic an aged patina. It's pretty easy to buff it to a satiny sheen if you don't like it. Just use a soft microfibre and a mild polish like Maguaires Scratch X.

Red 333

I have a question. The nitro Gibson shoots these days is not your granddaddy's nitro. Once upon a time Gibson used the Forbes/PPG lacquer which they shot in an even heavy coat as it would lose about 1/2 its thickness during the first year alone as it cured. The formula Gibson (and others) use these days can be shot in a thinner coat and needs less time sitting in racks to air dry. What I am saying is assuming Gibson uses the same nitro formula on all its guitars, is it something about the process of applying the VOS finish that is different. I always assumed VOS simply referred to the color of the burst.

I have never played or been in the same room as a SJ-200. I love the look of that big box (there is a joke waiting to happen), not a fan of slop shoulders, and would love to play one.

You really owe it to yourself to try an SJ200 out. They divide opinion visually, but find a great one and there’s few other guitars that come close to the sheer power and grace of a full-bore SJ200. The best ones aren’t unlike a handheld grand piano, amazing depth, clarity and note separation. A really dramatic instrument.

I have never played or been in the same room as a SJ-200. I love the look of that big box (there is a joke waiting to happen), not a fan of slop shoulders, and would love to play one.

I look like a 6 year old behind onea them. Like a 335.

rct

I have a question. The nitro Gibson shoots these days is not your granddaddy's nitro. Once upon a time Gibson used the Forbes/PPG lacquer which they shot in an even heavy coat as it would lose about 1/2 its thickness during the first year alone as it cured. The formula Gibson (and others) use these days can be shot in a thinner coat and needs less time sitting in racks to air dry. What I am saying is assuming Gibson uses the same nitro formula on all its guitars, is it something about the process of applying the VOS finish that is different. I always assumed VOS simply referred to the color of the burst.

Zomby, I think they probably shoot the nitro the same way as they do normally, they just don't polish it to a high gloss after. That leaves the finish rougher, with swirl marks, and with less sheen. The hazy residue that people talk about is the residual polishing compound that is not buffed off.

There are additives that some manufacturers use to leave a nitro finish satin, but I'm not sure if Gibson uses these in the VOS. Some retain their matte characteristics even after buffing, so I don't think so, but I have no direct knowledge. I do know from experience that it's easy to shine the VOS finishes right up with some buffing and polish.

Red 333

Come on. I have a BB King and I am only 5'9". It took some getting used to but it is the best electric I own.

I've tried. I feel like Jaime Lannister on the battlefield.

rct

You mean Tyrion, don't you? LOL!

Yes, I do! Crap, how'd I miss that? Yes, big guitars like a war shield. I once picked up a 335 and showed Mrs why I've never used one in all of our 38+ years together. She giggled. A lot. A Gibson Jumbo is out of the question for me.

rct

I got that chance yesterday. I was in GC returning the Songwriter 12-string I just received that had an awful crack on the soundboard. :( They had a used SJ200 that indeed sounded quite impressive. I had no thoughts of trading in my Guild F-50R for it, though.

I got that chance yesterday. I was in GC returning the Songwriter 12-string I just received that had an awful crack on the soundboard. :( They had a used SJ200 that indeed sounded quite impressive. I had no thoughts of trading in my Guild F-50R for it, though.

You need to gets you a Gibson Acoustic, man.

Archived