Gibson Brands Forums

Internet Radio.... What Ya Got ?

Murph

I love radio. I came of age with a Free Form station in the Mesa / Phoenix area that was awesome. It sold out and disappeared. I worked in radio in Louisiana and always added a touch of Allman Brothers to the Country, Bonnie Raitt to the rock, and so on. Traveling the Country a lot I always loved channel surfing, looking for Free Form "type" stuff, and it's getting harder to find.

I've found some interesting Internet channels, I just don't know if you guys in Europe will get them, don't know how that works?

One is Radio Free Phoenix, which is an off-shoot of my favorite station I grew up with. However, I can't listen to it for long due to their habit of playing Green Day, Offspring type crap mixed in with John Prine and Michael Nesmith. It simply doesn't work for me, but it IS Free Form at it's extreme.

http://radiofreephoenix.com/whatsup/listen/

My newest favorite is Radio Heartland. Far more acoustic and Americana. I can let this one go for hours.

https://www.thecurrent.org/listen/heartland

I'm surprised Sirius doesn't have a decent Americana/acoustic/roots channel yet. The Coffee House is a bit too metrosexual for me and the Outlaw stuff has gotten too filthy for normal use with children and people you respect around.

What ya got?

I have some garbage app on my phone, TuneIn or something. Half the time the stations won't come in or it's a trial version for a subscription of some sort. I used it a lot when I was more political. I am no longer so.

I do use TuneIn for rockabilly radio, which is based in the UK. Seems like our friends over there are doing a much better job of keeping rockabilly alive than we are.

http://rockabilly-radio.net/

I grew up around country music and kicked and screamed the whole time. Now in my later years I realize just how good it was. I'm revisiting the music I grew up on and also voraciously drinking in what I missed. I use the Heartland Public Radio app for that (HPR1, "traditional classic country"). I still refuse to do the whole Trace Adkins Luke/Kane/Blake/Keith Florida Georgia Mississippi Arkansas Line thing, but I'm learning that Marty Robbins did a LOT more than El Paso....

http://www.hpr.org/

I have XM in my Honda Hybrid. $60 for a year of Satellite Radio.

That has to be some kind of short term promotional pricing. Have had Sirius XM for many years now and it costs a lot more than that, paid about $160 when it renewed last March. Also just got a notice from them that royalties are going up by almost 50% when my subscriptions renew so that is going to make it even more expensive. I really like it, but it ain't cheap. ;)

That has to be some kind of short term promotional pricing. Have had Sirius XM for many years now and it costs a lot more than that, paid about $160 when it renewed last March. Also just got a notice from them that royalties are going up by almost 50% when my subscriptions renew so that is going to make it even more expensive. I really like it, but it ain't cheap. ;)

If you call to cancel just before your final month (don't wait - they automatically charge your credit card in advance), they'll cut the price in half.

But, they'll jack it back up the following year - without giving you notice.

I finally changed my credit card account # to keep them from charging me.

If you call to cancel just before your final month (don't wait - they automatically charge your credit card in advance), they'll cut the price in half.

But, they'll jack it back up the following year - without giving you notice.

I finally changed my credit card account # to keep them from charging me.

They have such a stupid business model.

I'm nearing the end of my free year with my new Ram 4x4.

If they would simply advertise the $60.00 a year deal, make it the same for everybody all the time, they would more than double their subscriptions and not have people pi$$ed off at them all of the time.

Sirius was a whole lot better before the merger with XM. I, as many, was introduced to it when we bought a new car and it came free. Prior to that I could not for the life of me figure why I would ever pay for radio.

Many decades ago, I worked for a college radio station. Did the programming and was a DJ. I had the late night shift so my slogan was "You cram on the books, we jam on the music." I played everything from Cab Calloway to Scrapper Blackwell to Procol Harum to Leontyne Price. I figured it was so late nobody was listening. Well, I guess somebody was. They fired me. Told me it was because I played "inappropriate" music. They never told me what it was specifically that got their panties in a wad but I suspected the culprit was the Fugs "CIA Man."

While I do love my Sirius, carrying my little receiver to the car, to the job, and plugged in at home, I see a problem ahead. In 2007 or so they asked me if I'd like a lifetime sub. 'No thanks', I said, don't have 500 bucks. Oh, no problem, just 3 ccard payments of $77 and all good. Now I'm told after your 3rd radio dies the 'lifetime' benefit ends, and I've blown through two. Yep, lifetime ain't lifetime. When the time comes I'll argue the point a little, but won't give it up for $16.99 a month. After all, I got 10+ years free.

I played everything from Cab Calloway to Scrapper Blackwell to Procol Harum to Leontyne Price. I figured it was so late nobody was listening.

LOL, sounds a lot like me at university station back around 1968. It was a classical music station but late one night I was bored and (FZ fan will like this) stated playing Frank Zappa and some other strange things. Got a few interesting phone calls. Didn't get fired though.

If they would simply advertise the $60.00 a year deal, make it the same for everybody all the time, they would more than double their subscriptions

Well that would be a big loser for them since we're currently paying $160/year, they would need to triple their subscriptions. ;) Never gonna happen anyway.

LOL, sounds a lot like me at university station back around 1968. It was a classical music station but late one night I was bored and (FZ fan will like this) stated playing Frank Zappa and some other strange things. Got a few interesting phone calls. Didn't get fired though.

Lumpy Gravy was out before '68. I saw FZ & the Mothers that summer in Central Park My short stint with radio was in 1969. I assume I got tagged by one of the seven dirty words you could not say on television. I guess that extended to radio as well.

So, did you ever wake up in the morning with a with a zombie woof behind your eyes?

For internet radio:

All on TuneIn Radio:

Bob Dylan Radio

KOCI, actual small powered Classic Rock radio station from Newport Beach

K-Jazz-, actual jazz radio from Long Beach

WXRT-longtime classic rock channel in Chicago with Terri Hemmert on Sunday morning doing one of the original Breakfast with the Beatles shows. (In Tune-In or Chicagoland 93.1FM)

On XM:

Beatles Channel

60s Channel

50s Channel

Coffeehouse

Also: Any Classical channel anywhere.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Sirius was a whole lot better before the merger with XM. I, as many, was introduced to it when we bought a new car and it came free. Prior to that I could not for the life of me figure why I would ever pay for radio.

Many decades ago, I worked for a college radio station. Did the programming and was a DJ. I had the late night shift so my slogan was "You cram on the books, we jam on the music." I played everything from Cab Calloway to Scrapper Blackwell to Procol Harum to Leontyne Price. I figured it was so late nobody was listening. Well, I guess somebody was. They fired me. Told me it was because I played "inappropriate" music. They never told me what it was specifically that got their panties in a wad but I suspected the culprit was the Fugs "CIA Man."

Yes Sirius is a pretty 'serious' radio station too (Boom!) but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Digitally Imported. They specialize in electronic music but man they have everything (All kinds of music genres). Incredible service that has been around for at least a decade.

I'm in another world.

I need to check some of this stuff out.

First allow me to wax philosophical?

I recently let my Sirius expire. My wife calls up every six months to get the cheap rate for her car (she has me call). But My kids turned me on to Pandora. I have a Toyota app that syncs the pandora from my phone to the neat dashboard controls in my 4Runner. I created a Tom Petty station, a Rolling Stones station, a Sturgill Simpson station, a Christmas station... you get the idea. The stations play songs chosen by an algorithm. You can influence the algorithm by giving a thumbs up or down on a song. The algorithm does not only play songs by an artist you choose.... Eagles might be mixed with Jackson Browne etc.

Pandora works ok.

But, like Facebook, it further herds us like a common mass. The danger of herding is ... well... we know about it especially in the US recently. If you are interested, read an article by David Byrne called Echo Chamber.

This is why I think the concept of human and free radio is probably important. I'm going to check it out, so thanks Murph. And Grunt, I will check out the BBC too. I know I have seen a BBC Ray La Montage show/concert that was magic. If there is radio, I want it.

Pandora works ok.

But, like Facebook, it further herds us like a common mass. The danger of herding is ... well... we know about it especially in the US recently. If you are interested, read an article by David Byrne called Echo Chamber.

This is why I think the concept of human and free radio is probably important. I'm going to check it out, so thanks Murph. And Grunt, I will check out the BBC too. I know I have seen a BBC Ray La Montage show/concert that was magic. If there is radio, I want it.

I put Pandora on my desktop at home, but it gets in a rut and "I can tell" it's a computer generated playlist. Somehow. I swear I can.

Earle Bailey on the Deep Tracks at Sirius has a very good grip on Free Form Classic stuff, but my free year will expire soon and I don't like RENTING music. And, like I said, Sirius doesn't have a decent acoustic/Americana/roots station.

I prefer Human Radio !

I put Pandora on my desktop at home, but it gets in a rut and "I can tell" it's a computer generated playlist. Somehow. I swear I can.

Earle Bailey on the Deep Tracks at Sirius has a very good grip on Free Form Classic stuff, but my free year will expire soon and I don't like RENTING music. And, like I said, Sirius doesn't have a decent acoustic/Americana/roots station.

I prefer Human Radio !

That's the reason I stopped putting up with their erratic billing - plus, the 2 or 3 channels that were almost decent - were way too repetitive.

I was lucky enough to get in on the Sirius lifetime plan when they offered it years ago. I paid a little less than $500 but got a lifetime sub (I can change radios up to three times to keep the lifetime). So far, I've only had to purchase a new dock n' play. This has already paid for itself several times. Love it.

My wife has the only car with Sirius; every time their renew charge shows up on the credit card she calls them and tells them to cancel, and after a few haggles they offer it to her for 6 months cheap That's worked maybe 6-8 times so far. The minute it doesn't it's gone; no way either of us will pay $160 or more to hear the same songs over and over.

Archived