Gibson Brands Forums

Some Dual Source Pickup Test Tracks

BluesKing777

Now, I have been fiddling with using dual source with undersaddle (piezo), soundhole (magnetic) with internal mic (condenser). I don't like the sound of undersaddles or mags on their own AT ALL! But I have set the mic and added just enough to get rid of the boxy internal mic sound.

So with my trusty Fishman Rare Earth Blend (removeable mag with mic and lead hanging out the soundhole) in the soundhole of my 1993 Lowden LSE1 (mahogany with sitka), I turn the mag part fully OFF, mic full on and ran to 1 channel of my mixer. I then plugged another lead into my undersaddle pickup and ran it to another channel of my mixer.....leads everywhere.

Clear as mud?

So I have the mic on with a good level, using headphones, and then add just enough undersaddle channel to give it a touch of bottom end, making it all 'fuller' and less 'boxy'.

So I did a recording (link below) with the Lowden in Open G tuning and a bit of bottleneck (slide highlights any quack or tone problems, let me tell you!).

First a couple of progessions with 1. the mix of the 2 channels I like most...then I ran through a progression of each with just the 2. undersaddle (yuk), then the 3. mic only (I like it but it isn't as 'full'), then the 4. mag pickup alone (yuk!) and then back to 5. mic AND undersaddle on to finish off on a high!

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/mud777

Now I have a Maton SRS808 with the fabulous inbuilt dual source AP5-Pro pickup system, used by TE, Keith Urban etc. It just sounds superb with the pickup and mix flat out! Of course, the only trouble with that is you have to buy a Maton acoustic guitar to get the system. [unsure]

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/mud7b-2

BluesKing777.

Now, I have been fiddling with using dual source with undersaddle (piezo), soundhole (magnetic) with internal mic (condenser). I don't like the sound of undersaddles or mags on their own AT ALL! But I have set the mic and added just enough to get rid of the boxy internal mic sound.

So with my trusty Fishman Rare Earth Blend (removeable mag with mic and lead hanging out the soundhole) in the soundhole of my 1993 Lowden LSE1 (mahogany with sitka), I turn the mag part fully OFF, mic full on and ran to 1 channel of my mixer. I then plugged another lead into my undersaddle pickup and ran it to another channel of my mixer.....leads everywhere.

Clear as mud?

So I have the mic on with a good level, using headphones, and then add just enough undersaddle channel to give it a touch of bottom end, making it all 'fuller' and less 'boxy'.

So I did a recording (link below) with the Lowden in Open G tuning and a bit of bottleneck (slide highlights any quack or tone problems, let me tell you!).

First a couple of progessions with 1. the mix of the 2 channels I like most...then I ran through a progression of each with just the 2. undersaddle (yuk), then the 3. mic only (I like it but it isn't as 'full'), then the 4. mag pickup alone (yuk!) and then back to 5. mic AND undersaddle on to finish off on a high!

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/mud777

Now I have a Maton SRS808 with the fabulous inbuilt dual source AP5-Pro pickup system, used by TE, Keith Urban etc. It just sounds superb with the pickup and mix flat out! Of course, the only trouble with that is you have to buy a Maton acoustic guitar to get the system. [unsure]

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/mud7b-2

BluesKing777.

A very cool experiment, BluesKing 777!

I am surprised that the under-saddle piezo pickup (the second in your five-section recording) didn't sound as trebly and sharp as what I am used to from my Takamine and my very old Kramer Ferrington.

Of course, your guitar is a much nicer instrument than those two of mine.

[scared]

A very cool experiment, BluesKing 777!

I am surprised that the under-saddle piezo pickup (the second in your five-section recording) didn't sound as trebly and sharp as what I am used to from my Takamine and my very old Kramer Ferrington.

Of course, your guitar is a much nicer instrument than those two of mine.

[scared]

Thanks Sparqs!

I should have mentioned that I just turned the mic channel off (mute) to leave the piezo playing, without adjusting the volume knobs....

And...playing live with a guitar with internal mic has its own set of rules - like turn down the monitors, or face away from them - or use in-ears/headphones to avoid monitors altogether and thus do whatever you like with mics.

The first track above uses the Fishman setup in the soundhole, so I can’t uses a soundhole plug unless I cut one up. The second track playing the Maton - I have a soundhole plug for it but had to race out and buy the Maton 808 one as the soundhole is way smaller than standard! People that use the Baggs Anthem with the mic part as their main sound also need to do surgery on a soundhole plug - around the stick on controls in the soundhole....

BluesKing777.

Oh, some photos!

And an explanation or two - I was experimenting with this guitar because it had an undersaddle pickup in it when I bought it, maybe from 1993? And it is pretty ordinary, with a real 'cloinky' sound on the 1 and 2 strings. So I thought to try mixing it with the soundhole mic, as a lot of people use their internal mics for the main sound with the undersaddle for bottom end. (Baggs Anthem, Cole Clark 3 way pickups).

V7KsWDrh.jpg

Mgn50Hnh.jpg

If you look close at the soundhole, you can just see the internal mic - not the white thing - that is a bread bag tie I use with a rubber band to keep the mic in the same spot! And then there is the advantage and disadvantage of the whole thing - the lead hanging out.

UbnfCHzh.jpg

BluesKing777.

BK that Maton sounds FANTASTIC...what does their system consist of? Mind blowing tone!

Yes, Maton upgraded their pickup system a couple of years back to the Maton AP5-Pro...nice sexy, anorak name! Some have called it the best live pickup system there is! But it has everything needed for plain old plug and play - powerful preamp with piezo for each string and an internal condenser mic with a volume control for the mic AND the piezo PLUS master volume, tone and SWEEPABLE MIDS! Hooray!!!!!!!!! Just dial out the nasty.... I saw a video with Tommy E, a huge part of the development of the pickup and guitar, where he uses his same pickup with ..quote: 'everything full on, flat out!' Good enough for TE, good enough for me, so that is what I do... The track above is plugged direct to my mixer and that's all I did. I would normally use a few gadgets, just because I like having them, but let me tell you, every acoustic guitar player with a Maton that I see play here in Aust are running straight in.

And it uses AA batteries!

Preamp on the side, some good, some bad!

cWhxfEEh.jpg

9DkepwQh.jpg

More official info - the guy that invented the new system is pretty casual!:

https://maton.com.au/product/ap5pro-pickup

And last but not least, don't forget a soundhole plug in 3 Maton sizes!

https://maton.com.au/store/feedback-eliminator

BluesKing777.

Archived