Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Stop tail adjustmenbt

Jeffytune

Good morning all,

Over the years, I have owned many different Gibson guitars with the tuneomatic stop tail bridge.

I have always set the stop tail down tight to the body, as I like to bend strings and I want the downforce and I always assumed this is how it was meant to be done.

I had about 25 years of no Gibsons, but now that I once again have one, I set it up like always and yet, I see some players that raise the stop tail up off the body.

I also thread my strings through the stop tail, not wrap around it.

So my question to the group here is, what advantage is there to not grounding the stop tail?

Edited by Jeffytune

Thanks for the link sparquelito, I am really not trying to start something here, I was just wondering.

Okay, so it is more how taught the strings will feel, and there could be a possibility of the bridge being pushed over.

I have never heard of that happening, But I am not a luthier so I guess I could ask a couple of luthier's if they have seen this happen.

I have seen collapsed bridges....

But I would also say that its better not to have the strings touching the back of the bridge.... So just raise it a bit until there is a tiny clearance between the strings and back of the bridge. That's what id say to anyone who asked me anyway.. As always opinions vary.

• Upvote 2

...what advantage is there to not grounding the stop tail?...

None that has ever been empirically proven to be true - otherwise there would never be the need to discuss this matter as the 'truth' would always be posted everytime this question raises its hoary old head..

So that will be a resounding 'None whatsoever'.

Pip.

As to my knowledge, Gibson have never provided any guidelines as to the ideal height of the tailpiece or whether the string ends leading to the tailpiece should or shouldn't be touching the bridge. It'll also be difficult to convincingly prove whether there really be any sonical advantages if the strings not be touching the bridge. Some players swear it'll give them more sustain, while others mute the dead string ends entirely on either end, that is behind the bridge as well as the nut, with additional equipment so as to avoid any (unwanted) overtones.

The short Sweetwater bit posted above (link) discusses another aspect, namely string tension, and how a higher tailpiece reduces overall string tension, while lowering it adds to it, which can play for or against the player. A little experimentation as to what suits one best as player goes a long way. For instance, if you're a lot into overbending (one and a half steps and two steps) you might want to avoid to have the tailpiece set to the lowest position possible so as to not to make overbends excruciatingly difficult to execute due to the additional strength needed if string tension is noticably higher than if the tailpiece were set to normal heights.

Luthiers are less, or rather not at all, concerned with this problem by the way. My luthier even asked me whether Gibson had any recommendations as to this when setting up my Les Paul. Luthier Dan Erlewine's take, of Stew-Mac fame, for instance goes into the details from a technician's point-of-view in his article Tune-O-Matic setup: is the trouble with the bridge or the neck angle? (StewMac.com, 2009) without providing conclusive evidence for or against one way or another however.

Edited by Leonard McCoy
  • Upvote 1

The short Sweetwater bit posted above (link) discusses another aspect, namely string tension, and how a higher tailpiece reduces overall string tension, while lowering it adds to it, which can play for or against the player. A little experimentation as to what suits one best as player goes a long way. For instance, if you're a lot into overbending (one and a half steps and two steps) you might want to avoid to have the tailpiece set to the lowest position possible so as to not to make overbends excruciatingly difficult to execute due to the additional strength needed if string tension is noticably higher than if the tailpiece were set to normal heights.

The tension on a string is determined by the pitch the string is tuned to, not what happens past the two points, nut and saddle, that it stops.

Tune your guitar to pitch with the stop bar all the way down. Raise the stop bar. The pitch will have flattened, depending on how far you raise it. Guess what happens when you tune it back to pitch?

rct

The tension on a string is determined by the pitch the string is tuned to, not what happens past the two points, nut and saddle, that it stops.

Tune your guitar to pitch with the stop bar all the way down. Raise the stop bar. The pitch will have flattened, depending on how far you raise it. Guess what happens when you tune it back to pitch?

rct

To clarify that paragraph of mine, I was attempting to explore string tension, or rather string pressure exerted on the bridge in regards to the difficulty of string bending, especially overbending. Even though the pitch of the note is defined by the tension and bridge to nut length, bending and, lesser so, even fretting itself, which is basically a micro-bend, use up the entire string length including the parts beyond the nut and bridge, that is from tailpiece to headstock.

1. Now, if the string breaks at a sharp angle over either the nut or the bridge (low tailpiece), it becomes more difficult for the string to move over the saddles or nut (greater string friction on bridge) because the string exerts a lot more pressure on the bridge or nut due to the break angle of the string, which in turn makes bending seem more difficult because you're effectively using less string to absorb the bend. The result: stiffer bending, but less distance to bend note to desired pitch.

2. If there is a less sharp angle or none at all over the nut or bridge (high tailpiece), the string passes through most easily (less string friction on bridge), thereby allowing you to use the entire length of the string for the bend. The result: easier bending, but greater distance to bend note to desired pitch.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

To clarify, I was talking string tension, or rather string pressure exerted on the bridge (often perceived as string tension by the player when bending), in regards to the difficulty of string bending. Even though the pitch of the note is defined by the tension and bridge to nut length, bending uses up the entire string length including the parts beyond the nut and bridge, that is from tailpiece to headstock.

1. Now, if the string breaks at a sharp angle over either the nut or the bridge (low tailpiece), it becomes more difficult for the string to move over the saddles or nut because the string exerts a lot more pressure on the bridge or nut due to the break angle of the string which in turn makes bending seem more difficult because you're effectively using less string to absorb the bend.

2. If there is no angle over the bridge or nut (high tailpiece), the string passes through most easily, thereby allowing you to use the entire length of the string for the bend.

The pitch of the note. It occurs between the nut and the saddle and no place else.

When you bend you are causing the string to shorten between two fixed points, the nut and the saddle. That shortening of the string at that tension causes the pitch to rise, it is the same as very quickly spinning the t00ner up there, you are raising the pitch by adjusting the tension between two fixed points.

The pitch of note One, a fretted note somewhere.

The pitch of note Two, the bent fretted note.

Both of those pitches require the same string tension no matter what happens past the nut or saddle. You can't have either note without the required tension on the string, it just doesn't happen.

Seriously. You can go back and forth with me all we want, what happens between the nut and saddle determines the pitch of the note.

A Floyd Rose locked nut and bridge is no harder to bend than any other guitar.

If bending strings is "hard", practice fixes that, not raising your tailpiece.

rct

As to my knowledge, Gibson have never provided any guidelines as to the ideal height of the tailpiece or whether the string ends leading to the tailpiece should or shouldn't be touching the bridge. It'll also be difficult to convincingly prove whether there really be any sonical advantages if the strings not be touching the bridge. Some players swear it'll give them more sustain, while others mute the dead string ends entirely on either end, that is behind the bridge as well as the nut, with additional equipment so as to avoid any (unwanted) overtones.

Luthiers are less, or rather not at all, concerned with this problem by the way. My luthier even asked me whether Gibson had any recommendations as to this when setting up my Les Paul. Luthier Dan Erlewine's take, of Stew-Mac fame, for instance goes into the details from a technician's point-of-view in his article Tune-O-Matic setup: is the trouble with the bridge or the neck angle? (StewMac.com, 2009) without providing conclusive evidence for or against one way or another however.

Thank you for the link, I think I understand it now.

I wonder if a small ball bearing dropped into the holes and then screwing the studs down would give less angle and the same tight down effect.

I might give it a try.

Haha, this topic is an evergreen :lol: BTW when I was playing my bandmates LTD EC 1000 the other day, I noticed they constructed it the way, the angle is much flatter than on a Les Paul. The stop is almost all the way down by default. I also observed this on other brands of "LP style" guitars, while Gibson Les Pauls are normally built in the way, that the stop piece is quite high and people use tricks like "top-wrapping" to get it down AND a flat angle at the same time (Nah I dare not to speculate if this has something to do with any kind of intentional sound improvements [razz] )

Edited by Snorten

Guest Farnsbarns

Why do those who want the rigidity of "all the way down" and the angle of "slightly above the body", not just use a couple of lock nuts on the shafts? That way the get the rigidity and desired break angle.

Edited by Farnsbarns

Why doesnt Gibson just fix their visual mess which appears here weekly? I dont know of any electric guitar company which isnt confronted with the issue of balancing their quality and profitability. There is no doubt that improved appearance is percieved as better quality.

Edited by Golden

I have seen collapsed bridges....

But I would also say that its better not to have the strings touching the back of the bridge.... So just raise it a bit until there is a tiny clearance between the strings and back of the bridge. That's what id say to anyone who asked me anyway.. As always opinions vary.

That is sound advice. I read that keeping strings off bridge is the best way. I break this rule though. I like to low-ride my stop piece.

That is sound advice. I read that keeping strings off bridge is the best way. I break this rule though. I like to low-ride my stop piece.

Well that's the thing about all of this. Theres no real right or wrong just what ever you like or want to do with YOUR guitar.. :) Factory specs, phhffftt do me a favour..

The thing about keeping the strings off the back of bridge for me is I just think it puts less pressure on it.. As has been said bridges can collapse so its just an extra way to help stop it.. And even that is not actual fact, its just what I think.

Edited by Rabs

I've lived a long time now not giving a frig about whether it touches or not, I am certain you will too.

rct

You know this is the funny thing.. I set guitars up and will do what I think is best if they don't know exactly what they want.. When it comes to my personal guitars I couldn't even tell you if they do or not apart from one I re-strung last week and checked only cos it had been talked about and it was touching (shame on me [blush] ) . So I did follow my own advice and turned each screw just once so it was a tad higher... that's all it took.

Ohh the tone, the sustain... Was exactly the same :P (not that I actually checked)

Edited by Rabs

You know this is the funny thing.. I set guitars up and will do what I think is best if they don't know exactly what they want.. When it comes to my personal guitars I couldn't even tell you if they do or not apart from one I re-strung last week and checked only cos it had been talked about and it was touching (shame on me [blush] ) . So I did follow my own advice and turned each screw just once so it was a tad higher... that's all it took.

Ohh the tone, the sustain... Was exactly the same :P (not that I actually checked)

Fair enough but your suggesting how it should be as opposed to how it is which your actions indicated by address, thats exactly what is discussed 'how it should be'....more to the point....why not just fix the visual issue or plausible sustain issue, string breakage etc. What you or I do isnt mutually exclusive to the issue since many address this in various ways which is why its a perpetual subjective thread....still comes back to Gibson imho, a point of whats wrong with the LP- theres simply a minor tolerance issue at the set neck. There’s nothing wrong with the guitar strickly speaking just that the neck angle for a Les Paul has an optimal degree setting, they vary between individual guitars a degree etc, more so from production line to custom shop on stricter tolerance. This variation in angle is why the bridge and tailpiece need to be height-adjustable. The steeper the angle, the higher the bridge. That said they merely need to address the Nashville bridge.

Edited by Golden

...The thing about keeping the strings off the back of bridge for me is I just think it puts less pressure on it.. As has been said bridges can collapse so its just an extra way to help stop it.. And even that is not actual fact, its just what I think...

If a string is putting X-lbf / Newtons of force on one spot - a bridge saddle, say - does the bridge have any less force on it than if the string touches at two points - a bridge saddle and the rear of the bridge, say?

I'm no engineer but I'd say Nope. The total amount of force is exactly the same; just spread between two separate points.

It might be argued that splitting the amount of force from one point to two lessens the likelihood of a collapsed bridge; standing on one leg on a set of scales and the one set has all body mass on it. Stand evenly on two sets and each will have a reading of half-body mass...

Pip.

Edited by pippy