Gibson Brands Forums

How to date Burstbucker pickups

soundsagogo

I am not an expert at dating pickups. There doesn't seem to be any codes or marking inside that would indicate a date, at least not visible in the photo. Did you buy them new? The photo itself is dated from 9/2016 so I would imagine the pickups are from that year?

I don't think it matters too much what year they are in terms of sound. The Bustbucker is a fairly modern pickup that is machine wound, and they should all be very similar. Unlike early PAF humbuckers that varied a lot in the amount of wire wound and thus quite a variety in the tones they produced.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Guest Farnsbarns

I can't date them but I can tell you they are after market, and therefore potted, unlike those fitted in reissues which are not potted.

I am not an expert at dating pickups. There doesn't seem to be any codes or marking inside that would indicate a date, at least not visible in the photo. Did you buy them new? The photo itself is dated from 9/2016 so I would imagine the pickups are from that year?

I don't think it matters too much what year they are in terms of sound. The Bustbucker is a fairly modern pickup that is machine wound, and they should all be very similar. Unlike early PAF humbuckers that varied a lot in the amount of wire wound and thus quite a variety in the tones they produced.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Hi Thanks for replying.

I bought them second hand.

They sound great.

Archived