Gibson Brands Forums

New Version of J-35

gotomsdos

Daluthdan got oine in burst and it sounded fabulous. Much deeper than the tinny J-35 standard

Indeed I did acquire a J-35 Collectors Edition a few months ago.

I also live in a household where I have easy access to a standard sort of sunburst J-35 that I bought for my son a few years ago.

The Collectors Edition has a wider 1.75 nut, and a slightly beefier neck that feels oh so good to me. Nice and round. Also has the thermally cured top.

In my sloppy playing style, the new one sounds nice to me - a bit more robust than the standard.

My son likes his better. I like the new one better. Our playing styles are quite different - he uses a thin pick, and I just stumble along with my fingers.

That being said - a touring musician friend of mine damaged his martin HD-28 in an argument with a loose strap, and a floor, and I offered him one of the J-35s as a temporary replacement for the rest of his tour. He's a versatile player with real talent, not just a shlubb like me. He chose the standard, without hesitation - "Man this one really has the tone ! " were his exact words.

That being said - a touring musician friend of mine damaged his martin HD-28 in an argument with a loose strap, and a floor, and I offered him one of the J-35s as a temporary replacement for the rest of his tour. He's a versatile player with real talent, not just a shlubb like me. He chose the standard, without hesitation - "Man this one really has the tone ! " were his exact words.

Congrats you for such a beautiful J-35 dan !

But I guess the touring musician was not willing to take your collector's version of J-35. Put your feeling into consideration [confused] ?, he knew this one costed a lot more. Not sure.

Congrats you for such a beautiful J-35 dan !

But I guess the touring musician was not willing to take your collector's version of J-35. Put your feeling into consideration [confused] ?, he knew this one costed a lot more. Not sure.

I can assure you that relative $$$ value was not his consideration at all - he really was impressed with the standard - and that's the one he's now touring with. Plays thru a microphone mostly, and loves the sound.

Assuming this version has the same bracing, size and shape as the regular new fangled J-35 I do not get how it can sound different.

FWIW the standard J-35 has a "vintage 1930's advanced X-bracing pattern" and the Vintage Collector's Edition has scalloped bracing, and of course the cooked top (which always seems to jack the price up quite bit).

FWIW the standard J-35 has a "vintage 1930's advanced X-bracing pattern" and the Vintage Collector's Edition has scalloped bracing, and of course the cooked top (which always seems to jack the price up quite bit).

Forward shifted refers not to the carve of the bracing, only the footprint. As all Gibsons have a scalloped X brace, I am just assuming the new J-35 has the forward shifted bracing with the longer bridge plate. The specs say nothing about the tone bars so again I assume this means it has the standard scalloped tone bars rather than the three un-scalloped tone bars that the 1995 Walker run had.

Forward shifted refers not to the carve of the bracing, only the footprint. As all Gibsons have a scalloped X brace, I am just assuming the new J-35 has the forward shifted bracing with the longer bridge plate. The specs say nothing about the tone bars so again I assume this means it has the standard scalloped tone bars rather than the three un-scalloped tone bars that the 1995 Walker run had.

Thanks for the clarification! I thought that the braces were all scalloped. [thumbup]

Thanks, I didn't know there were substantial differences between the two versions.

Archived