Gibson Brands Forums

The cheap but incredible Epiphone Special II

JAF

I recently acquired a second hand Epiphone Special II Ebony 2016 in original and mint condition and I am so amazed how good that guitar sounds. I would not be able to guess the price of that guitar by the sound alone.

post-85778-095710100 1515446582_thumb.jpg

Congrats, JAF! I agree. Epi's generally sound great, and the price for some used models is just ridiculous for what you get! msp_thumbup.gif

Thank you. =) I also have an Epiphone G-400 Pro (SG type) with Alnico Pro humbuckers and not even that guitar sound as good, sadly. Not for my music style anyways. =)

I have one of those Epiphone Specials in yellow. I got the one with the P90s though and love the sound. The price was so cheap that I upgraded the tuners and now it is excellent. I don't care if it gets any good money when I decide to sell it. It's great!

Sadly I haven't tried the p90's yet. So far my Epis have those alnico pro humbuckers and the LP special has 650R and 700T (or wice versa).

What are the P90's strong characteristics?

Sadly I haven't tried the p90's yet. So far my Epis have those alnico pro humbuckers and the LP special has 650R and 700T (or wice versa).

What are the P90's strong characteristics?

The P-90's have a more piercing sound being very loud single coils. Kind of like a really nasty strat. They were Gibsons main pickup in the 50's, until they designed the humbucker in 1958. Retro sound people like me prefer them because of the screamy squawk they can make. Humbuckers are smoother an have their own thing going on. Amp settings for P-90's or Humbuckers will be different to get the most out of them, so if your amp is set for Humbuckers the tone controls may need to be tweaked a bit to get the most out of P-90's.. I only use P-90's these days so my amps are all set to get the max tonal output..

[thumbup]

My current P-90 powered Epiphones are a Sapphire Blue Blueshawk, a White 50th anniversary reissue 61 SG Special and a TV Yellow 97 Les Paul Junior Double Cut..

Archived