Gibson Brands Forums

trip to Texas

uncle fester

Hi Folks - Over the past month or so you've all given me a bunch of input on guitars, and my search starts in earnest next week.

I want 2 guitars in total, the second right now is a traditional hummingbird circa 1990. seems to be some out there now and again, so confident i can find something, but only after i find the first - which I'm very much up in the air about with respect to everything except that I want a cut away acoustic. I really fell for the looks of the Gibson Songwriter Standard, but it's been discontinued and there aren't any used around, and I never got to play one anyways, so I'm going in with an open mind as to brand, style and model etc...

As the gods of work would have it, this Friday I head to Houston and have a day slated to going to Fuller's and Great Southern music, then heading to Austin for a week and going to get time to go to Guitar Rez (thanks to everyone here for the great leads). I'm really going to leverage the folks at those shops to try out a bunch and see where I land. I've talked with the folks at Fuller's and they're ready to help me walk the path, wish me luck!

--------------

FYI - Everything I know before I play anything: I know what I play (mahogany dread, Guild), I know the type of music (70% strum, 30% finger pick), Blues, Blues Rock, w/ a little funk, I know how I want the guitar to sound compared to what I have (a little more articulation on the lows and highs), and I know the type of feel I want to check out 1.75 nut, chunkier neck... maybe, and also the vanity part, the looks i like - a tobacco burst type of something, fancy, but not too much

I've got a set of Curt Mangan 12-54 phosphor bronze strings (missing the G) that I'll send to the first person who guesses what I end up with before I make my final decision ; )

Yeah, you could come home with a 55 string dulcimer or something, but it better be good after we have read all your preambles! [biggrin]

I am expecting a car load to come home with you.....no pressure here! [biggrin]

Seriously, don’t get it if you really don’t like it, apart from that....Game On!

BluesKing777.

I wish you luck on your fantastic journey!

Keep an open mind. Sometimes your research and specs tell you one thing, and your ears and heart tell you another in the heat of battle.

Exactly! Keep an open mind. Something may grab you out of the blue. Let your heart, your ears, and your fingers be your guide. Your brain will eventually come around.

You should give Rockin' Robin a call, they are in Houston and sometimes get vintage guitars. They also have some new Collings and Martins as well. Good guys to deal with, I bought my Martin from them. FYI, I was at Fuller's last weekend and they had a '43 J-45 and '41 J-55 for sale.

You should give Rockin' Robin a call, they are in Houston and sometimes get vintage guitars. They also have some new Collings and Martins as well. Good guys to deal with, I bought my Martin from them. FYI, I was at Fuller's last weekend and they had a '43 J-45 and '41 J-55 for sale.

I agree about calling Rockin' Robin. GSM is a bit of a drive depending on your location. They don't have a large selection, and it's been pretty sparse the last few times I've been there. Definitely call and ask what their stock of cutaways includes before making the trip. I recognize GC isn't on your list, but the one on Westheimer typically has a large selection. Realistically, Fuller's has such an amazing selection you could probably spend all your time there and be perfectly happy.

Best of luck in your search

Yup, let your ears be your guide. Those early '90s Hummingbirds (up to about '97) were 25.5 not 24.75 scale.

Be sure that's what you want.

I have to agree that it's hard to go wrong with a J45. I don't spend as much time at that end as Eddie Van Halen or do much fretboard gymnastics but have always managed w/o a cutaway. But....there is a J45 cutaway. I know, I know. To some of us it's a certain sort of blasphemy to put a cutaway on a J45.

Surprised no one has shown any interest in the d1cked up set of Mangans. 😀

Have a great trip! While in Austin I highly recommend you go to the Continental Club. Great music every night.

http://continentalclub.com/austin/

Also the Cactus Cafe (housed on the the University of Texas campus)is a great acoustic room. It looks like they have a lot of shows happening beginning the 17th. http://do512.com/venues/cactus-cafe

The Saxson Pub has Uncle Lucius on the 19th. https://www.thesaxonpub.com/

Oh, yeah and bring home some guitars too! [biggrin]

Have a great trip! While in Austin I highly recommend you go to the Continental Club. Great music every night.

http://continentalclub.com/austin/

Also the Cactus Cafe (housed on the the University of Texas campus)is a great acoustic room. It looks like they have a lot of shows happening beginning the 17th. http://do512.com/venues/cactus-cafe

The Saxson Pub has Uncle Lucius on the 19th. https://www.thesaxonpub.com/

Oh, yeah and bring home some guitars too! [biggrin]

Thanks Much, yes I had the cactus cafe on my list of stops of my dream business trip / guitar search extravaganza - unfortunately the corporate gods have spoken with less than 18 hrs to flight time, i was told to cancel the trip. I'm sure to get down there at some other time (I hope, maybe) but for now - I'll need to re shift my guitar seeking approach.

Not as devastating as that lady's $100k instrument flight debacle (after reading that thread I was ready to buy anything I found it's own seat ; ) but I was looking forward to trying out a bunch and maybe even come home with a little something special.

...maybe I can figure a way to get to Denver, all that talk about Wildwood guitars has me thinking ; )

Thanks Much, yes I had the cactus cafe on my list of stops of my dream business trip / guitar search extravaganza - unfortunately the corporate gods have spoken with less than 18 hrs to flight time, i was told to cancel the trip. I'm sure to get down there at some other time (I hope, maybe) but for now - I'll need to re shift my guitar seeking approach.

Not as devastating as that lady's $100k instrument flight debacle (after reading that thread I was ready to buy anything I found it's own seat ; ) but I was looking forward to trying out a bunch and maybe even come home with a little something special.

...maybe I can figure a way to get to Denver, all that talk about Wildwood guitars has me thinking ; )

[sad]

Archived