Gibson Brands Forums

Two interesting vintage Gibsons

vw1300

Got to play some very interesting Gibsons recently - dropped off my J-50 for a fresh setup at Great Southern right after New Year's - they had this pretty mid '60s 3/4 size LG (ladder braced) on consignment. I didn't even know they made these! They also had a MK-35 which I never got to play before, and a Chet Atkins. Was at Fuller's last weekend and they had this banner J-45 which we enjoyed playing as well. Thanks to geelinus for the tip on how to insert an image link.

25594403978_f9e6ed5910_z.jpgIMG_7913

25734047628_0ce9d60d5b.jpgIMG_7917

Gibson first used that form factor in the mid 30s on the L-00 3/4. They made a very small number -- I have heard a bit over 30, but I think there were more. These were x-braced. Then in about 1942 Gibson introduced the Kalamazoo SPORT MODEL -- same from factor but ladder braced.

Then in the late 50s they introduced the LG 3/4 -- Woody Guthrie bought one of those for Arlo. They were ladder braced. Gibson later reissued that guitar as the Arlo Guthrie model. It was ladder braced because Arlo insisted for historically accuracy.

There is an 35 L-00 3/4 and a Kalamazoo Sport Model on the two sides of this picture.

Zoos.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Gibson first used that form factor in the mid 30s on the L-00 3/4. They made a very small number -- I have heard a bit over 30, but I think there were more. These were x-braced. Then in about 1942 Gibson introduced the Kalamazoo SPORT MODEL -- same from factor but ladder braced.

Then in the late 50s they introduced the LG 3/4 -- Woody Guthrie bought one of those for Arlo. They were ladder braced. Gibson later reissued that guitar as the Arlo Guthrie model. It was ladder braced because Arlo insisted for historically accuracy.

There is an 35 L-00 3/4 and a Kalamazoo Sport Model on the two sides of this picture.

Best,

-Tom

Tom, when you say "form factor" - do you mean they used the same mold, or just the same general size and proportions? When we saw the guitar, it made me think of a cherry burst L-00 more than an LG-1 that had been shrunken. Thanks for the history lesson.

Tom, when you say "form factor" - do you mean they used the same mold, or just the same general size and proportions? When we saw the guitar, it made me think of a cherry burst L-00 more than an LG-1 that had been shrunken. Thanks for the history lesson.

I believe they could have all been made with the same mold. A lot of stuff could be different -- tuners, bracing, wood thickness, neck contour, bridge, bridgeplate, finish, etc. -- but I believe the shape is the same.

Best,

-Tom

Archived