Gibson Brands Forums: Musicians Still Getting No Respect from Airlines - Gibson Brands Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Musicians Still Getting No Respect from Airlines Kindle-ing

#21 User is offline   Jeffytune 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

#22 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

View PostJeffytune, on 10 January 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

It ain't just United, and it ain't just Taylors. It's the reason I now carry a bullet-proof carbon fiber guitar when I fly. Or I ship one of my good ones if I'm on a multi-month assignment.

I'll never check another wood guitar.

#23 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

View Postj45nick, on 10 January 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

It ain't just United, and it ain't just Taylors. It's the reason I now carry a bullet-proof carbon fiber guitar when I fly. Or I ship one of my good ones if I'm on a multi-month assignment.

I'll never check another wood guitar.

How do you ship the guitar, Nick?

By ship? Otherwise, it goes by airline, right? I ask because being a sailor, you might actually 'boat' the guitar to your destination.

I was shipping guitars regularly to ..me for a while there after giving up smokes, but I sat down one day and figured my extreme good fortune with Fedex and others was due to run out! And the very last delivery, the driver said he delivered my goods and I wasn't home so he returned to base - except I worked all day from the time they said it was 'out for delivery' on my computer near the front door and I heard or saw every vehicle that came down the street......no Fedex.

(They make Hiscox cases for violins, violas and all kinds of things - and a custom case could easily be ordered for a $200,000 instrument!)

For the newer people here, I will again post a link to the Hiscox Cases Survival Stories page:

https://www.hiscoxca...rvival-stories/

But I tell you, I have a better Hiscox Case survival story....a mate's wife sat on his Hiscox Pro II case and she is, to be as kind as possible, a couch breaker! [biggrin] Then my mate checked the guitar in a lathery sweat of fear and...all fine... I saw all this as I was eating one of her home made cakes..... [mellow] None of this is true of course, sorry, sorry to the wife, mate.

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 10 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

#24 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

View Postfortyearspickn, on 10 January 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

Yeah. This is clearly a case of "she said / he said ". That's why we have lawyers, judges and juries. I would guess, in a case like this, the airline will stonewall but finally settle. Juries tend to be biased against "business" , especially certain industries.And if the musician is hot, the airlines might as well forget stonewalling and settle up quick. Ironically, the airlines insurance company's lawyers don't actually have a dog in this fight. They're probably not employees of the insurance company, are on retainer and know the insurance company will just increase the airlines premiums if they lose. So, yeah. There is no personal responsibility anymore.

I agree with you completely. I do think though that if it did in fact get to court, the insurance peoples would just march in a handful of orchestra types from a few cities. If they are anything like the orchestra types I know, and the care taken with their instruments, she is going to lose. Probably really hard for her to find a lawyer to take it on, they know this stuff too.

rct

#25 User is offline   PrairieSchooner 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationKansas prairie

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

My one airline/guitar story: was heading to a gig in Minneapolis c. 1980 or so. Back then, they encouraged you to just take your instrument to the plane and talk the attendants into putting it in the coat closet; wouldn't work today, but that was a long time ago. Anyway, just my luck, I got a stickler for detail who was insisting that I check it. We were "discussing" it when the pilots boarded. The Captain says, "What's in the case?" "Martin D-28," I said. "That's a nice guitar," he says. "Better let it ride up here in the cockpit with me." He handed it to me at the end of the flight; I always wondered if he looked at it or maybe even played it.

On the way home, in the coat closet with no problems.

This post has been edited by PrairieSchooner: 11 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

And then there are the times when the wolves are silent and the moon is howling. - George Carlin

#26 User is offline   Boyd 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNew Jersey Pine Barrens

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

Took my 2008 J-50 in a Hiscox case to Athens in 2014. At the ticket counter I asked if I needed to check it and they said it should be no problem to put it in the coat closet. Boarding the plane they put it there and were very nice. Changed to Aegean Airlines in London on a crowded flight so they made me check it at the gate. No problems on arrival. Coming home, same thing, too crowded on the flight to London and I had to check it. But I just decided to check it all the way through to Newark because it was sort of a pain carrying it and my other stuff around between flights in London. Got back to Newark, everything was just fine. And I was flying on United.

Ironically, after going all these thousands of miles, the next day back home I knocked over a chair that hit the J-50 and did major cosmetic damage. So apparently I'm more of a risk to my guitars than United. [crying]

This post has been edited by Boyd: 11 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

1965 Gibson J-50 ADJ
1974 GIbson J-50 Deluxe
2008 Gibson J-50 Modern Classic

#27 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

View PostBluesKing777, on 10 January 2018 - 09:17 PM, said:

How do you ship the guitar, Nick?
BluesKing777.

Generally by FedEx, alternatively by UPS, and usually by ground. I won't ship them overseas due to the rosewood risk and other potential CITES issues. Don't want to take the chance, since one has a combination of ivory, ebony, and Brazilian rosewood!

The difference is that the guitars are in their normal cases, and the case is then packed inside the foam-fitted original cardboard Gibson (or other) factory shipping box. I have about a half dozen of those original shipping boxes, most with fitted rigid foam packing. A dreadnought case is pretty much the same size whether it's a J-45 or a D-28, so you don't need a different shipping box for each guitar.

I last shipped one of my guitars this way for work purposes a few years ago, when I had a four-month job in San Francisco. Shipped my L-OO Legend, but was a nervous wreck while it was in transit. Now I mostly just carry the carbon guitar. There's rarely time to play that much on these jobs, so the guitar is just a way of keeping my head straight.

#28 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

View Postj45nick, on 11 January 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

There's rarely time to play that much on these jobs, so the guitar is just a way of keeping my head straight.

So you aren't shipping them to play them at the destination?

rct

#29 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

View Postrct, on 11 January 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

So you aren't shipping them to play them at the destination?

rct

To play for myself, maybe with friends, but not to play out. Playing, even 15 minutes a day, helps me remember what's important. Life is short, and getting shorter every day.

#30 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

View Postj45nick, on 11 January 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

Generally by FedEx, alternatively by UPS, and usually by ground. I won't ship them overseas due to the rosewood risk and other potential CITES issues. Don't want to take the chance, since one has a combination of ivory, ebony, and Brazilian rosewood!

The difference is that the guitars are in their normal cases, and the case is then packed inside the foam-fitted original cardboard Gibson (or other) factory shipping box. I have about a half dozen of those original shipping boxes, most with fitted rigid foam packing. A dreadnought case is pretty much the same size whether it's a J-45 or a D-28, so you don't need a different shipping box for each guitar.

I last shipped one of my guitars this way for work purposes a few years ago, when I had a four-month job in San Francisco. Shipped my L-OO Legend, but was a nervous wreck while it was in transit. Now I mostly just carry the carbon guitar. There's rarely time to play that much on these jobs, so the guitar is just a way of keeping my head straight.

Luck's a fortune!

I got one of my Hiscox delivered and I kept the box - so I can put a guitar (OM/000size) in a Hiscox and then in the shipping box packed with the original peanuts - only way I would do it now. But I would buy, rent, borrow when I got there if I could!

No Hiscox case, no go! Bad enough with one of those cases doing their best for you..

Now, some photos of the day I died on my doorstep 3 times....and then I had to wait for the item to acclimatise before opening the box! [cursing] Don't think I did.

Fudex delivered my 59 Gibson LG3 in this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 11 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

#31 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

• Member At Large
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:44 AM

Interesting - those marks, on 3 different sides, at 3 different angles and locations - look like they were all made by the same device.
Wonder if someone at Fuddex intentionally kept mistreating this box, or if they were just having a bad day. Week. Month... Year?
Companies interested in actual 'Total Quality Management' would have a field day with this pix.
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013

#32 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

And...the box, and guitar, are from a place that remains nameless, but I have been a multiple customer and their other boxes have been so pristine that a few I keep in the garage have the spiders fighting over them.

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 12 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

#33 User is offline   jt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:27 AM

A lot more information has surfaced about this incident, including this statement by the owner that she was unable to purchase a seat for her viola de gamba:

“Alitalia claims that ‘Our representatives at check-in in Rio airport advised to buy an extra seat to guarantee the safe carriage of the instrument but this solution was not accepted by you.’ This is NOT TRUE. What happened was the opposite: when I asked to take the instrument inside the cabin, they told me that the plane was full and even if I wanted, I could NOT buy an extra seat. And they told me not to worry, the instrument would be carried BY HAND into the plane."

Check out the images here. To cause that sort of damage, the airline dropped the instrument from a significant height.

Like Nick, when I can, I travel with a carbon guitar. But, I also give talks and play gigs where I need a real guitar, most often my went-to-WWII Banner SJ. Early this summer, I'll be giving talks and playing gigs with the guitar in Berlin, London, norther UK, Dublin, and Prague. On international flights, I put the gutiar in a Calton case with padded cover (with backpack straps!). Domestically, I usually use the lighter Hiscox case.

Yeah, there's some risk. I almost always get the guitar on board. And, of course, I travel with both a CITES instrument passport (in the process of renewing it now) and a copy of the US regulations that mandate that airlines let me take the guitar on board (if there's room). Most important is a polite, friendly attitude.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

View Postjt, on 15 January 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

A lot more information has surfaced about this incident, including this statement by the owner that she was unable to purchase a seat for her viola de gamba:

“Alitalia claims that ‘Our representatives at check-in in Rio airport advised to buy an extra seat to guarantee the safe carriage of the instrument but this solution was not accepted by you.’ This is NOT TRUE. What happened was the opposite: when I asked to take the instrument inside the cabin, they told me that the plane was full and even if I wanted, I could NOT buy an extra seat. And they told me not to worry, the instrument would be carried BY HAND into the plane."

Check out the images here. To cause that sort of damage, the airline dropped the instrument from a significant height.

Like Nick, when I can, I travel with a carbon guitar. But, I also give talks and play gigs where I need a real guitar, most often my went-to-WWII Banner SJ. Early this summer, I'll be giving talks and playing gigs with the guitar in Berlin, London, norther UK, Dublin, and Prague. On international flights, I put the gutiar in a Calton case with padded cover (with backpack straps!). Domestically, I usually use the lighter Hiscox case.

Yeah, there's some risk. I almost always get the guitar on board. And, of course, I travel with both a CITES instrument passport (in the process of renewing it now) and a copy of the US regulations that mandate that airlines let me take the guitar on board (if there's room). Most important is a polite, friendly attitude.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Where’s the gig in Dublin john ?

#35 User is offline   jt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 15 January 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

Where’s the gig in Dublin john ?

At Some Neck Guitars, mid-May.

#36 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

View Postjt, on 15 January 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

At Some Neck Guitars, mid-May.

Cool

I’ll keep it in mind.

Go easy on the Guinness

#37 User is offline   jt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 15 January 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

Cool

I’ll keep it in mind.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted.

View Postblindboygrunt, on 15 January 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

Go easy on the Guinness

What's the fun in that? A few years back, I spent a summer in Dublin, teaching at Trinity College. It's a wonderful city.

#38 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

View Postjt, on 15 January 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Thanks! I'll keep you posted.

What's the fun in that? A few years back, I spent a summer in Dublin, teaching at Trinity College. It's a wonderful city.

Ah so you’re well aware of what’s going to happen then !!

#39 User is offline   jt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 15 January 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

Indeed, and that's why I'm so excited about returning to Dublin!

#40 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 15 January 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

Guinness gives you wind when you drink it, and a headache the next morning.

Or so I've been told.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users