Gibson Brands Forums

70/71 EB-0 slot head tuners

I recently acquired a 71 "slot head" EB-0 bass husk. I have sourced all the parts except the schaller m4-C classic tuners with the long post and hole. Schaller no longer makes them.

Of course if anyone has a set they're looking to get rid of, please lmk. Otherwise, has anyone installed traditional m4 type tuners on this headstock with success? Obviously the posts aren't long enough to reach the bushings on the inner part of the headstock, but can you still install and use regular tuners?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll answer my own question. I was able to use some Gotoh tuners without any modification. They have fat 11.8mm or 7/16 posts which practically thread into the existing hole. I didn't use the gotoh bushings that came with because there is no room to spare to open up the existing hole.

Even better, I popped the old bushings in the center post out and the new posts perfectly rest into the hole about 1/16" as if they were meant to be. I was also able to string them up properly.

I can't post a pic for some reason, but for future reference this is an option. I chose "Cosmo black" (black chrome) and I can honestly say they look way better than the originals.

Archived