Gibson Brands Forums

Hi! Introducing me and my 2015 Hummingbird

jdiggitydog

HI from Victoria, British Columbia. I recently acquired a Hummingbird (2015 Standard, I guess). I've always liked the tone of these, and I got this one for a great deal. I've traditionally been an electric player, but I've graduated, in mid-life, to acoustic only. I play jazz on my Hummingbird believe it or not. I like the string to string balance and midrange of the instrument for chord melody. I realize that it has a lot of shimmer and overtones for jazz, but I do it anyway even if I'm the only one.

Anyway, I thought I'd explore this forum and see what all I can learn after playing the guitar since I was a little boy in 1976.

Cheers

Welcome aboard. The hummingbird is a very nice guitar, I played one at GC and thought about getting one. msp_thumbup.gif

Well they are huge. This is a point worth considering. But the tone is pretty huge, too. I certainly think they have a unique tone, and maybe that's the main thing.

It also helps that I have a few hummingbird feeders to watch while I play--ha.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay. I have never played a Hummingbird, but have always heard good things about them.

I intended to buy a J45. The one I tried sounded amazing--lots of bass--and I've always liked the look and vibe of J45s. But this Hummingbird stopped me in my tracks. Not as bass-rich as the J45 was, but there is a real magic that seems to come from the combination of short scale and huge body.

Welcome to the forums JdiggityDog.

Good see a Canadian here. Your post made me realise I'd never played a Hummingbird. Well, maybe I should.

Thanks! My part of Canada is particularly lovely. I quite like your part of the UK as well (my family is from the UK--the case for many Canadians in the Victoria area).

I absolutely think the Hummingbird is worth going out of your way to try. The look is perhaps an acquired taste (I didn't used to like the look years ago, but now I just dig that they're unique), but the tone -- at least on this one and any that I've played, actually -- is almost hypnotizing.

It's fun for me to try to get used to it after years spent playing archtops.

Hummingbirds in British Columbia? [omg]

Global warming I s'pose [wink]

They've always been here as far back as I can remember. I'm from southern Vancouver Island. It's very similar weather in Victoria to Portsmouth. I think a shade warmer, actually. I have hummingbirds all year round. In fact, I just filled my feeders today. Sort of annoying, but overall worth it--ha.

They've always been here as far back as I can remember. I'm from southern Vancouver Island. It's very similar weather in Victoria to Portsmouth. I think a shade warmer, actually. I have hummingbirds all year round. In fact, I just filled my feeders today. Sort of annoying, but overall worth it--ha.

Wow. I had no idea they are found so far north. I've only glimpsed wild hummingbirds a couple of times; in the Caribbean.

Anyway, Jazz on a flat top. That'unusual. I have experimented with jazz on nylon string guitars.

Wow. I had no idea they are found so far north. I've only glimpsed wild hummingbirds a couple of times; in the Caribbean.

Anyway, Jazz on a flat top. That'unusual. I have experimented with jazz on nylon string guitars.

Particularly, jazz on a super large flat top is weird. But sometimes it's nice to try something no one else is doing. In a weird way, a Hummingbird's tone kind of works. There's a warmth and balance, I guess.

I was amused to learn that the guitar on Miles Davis' In a Silent Way is actually a Hummingbird with a pickup in it. That's not the type of music I'm attempting, of course, but it offers some interesting trivia.

Hummingbirds in British Columbia? [omg]

Not intending to belabour this hummingbird thing at all (lol), but it just happens that I snapped this photo today when home for lunch. It's my 2015 Standard Hummingbird with an actual hummingbird hovering at the feeder outside the window. I'm not sure of the specs on the actual hummingBIRD, but I suspect it's a 2017 "standard." Cheers!

Hope this photo works. I've never before tried to insert a image into a forum post.

nx5i1e.jpg[/img]

Archived