Gibson Brands Forums

Filing Nut Slots

MorrisrownSal

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are plenty of nut slot issues out there. Many are overlooked, but strings coming out of slots is pretty obvious. In that case the question would be is there enough room to deepen the slot without causing buzz. Hopefully you’ll have the room you need.

BTW I bought a set of nut files from StewMac years ago. For me it was a good economic buy - because of the number of guitars I deal with. With the cost issues you mentioned seems like a reasonable purchase for you.

Sal, a good way to check if there is room to cut a slot deeper is to press down the string at full tension right between the second and third fret. While doing so, tap the string right next to (but not straight above) the first fret. If there is a clicking sound, you have clearance, but if you get a thud sound the slot is too low. This is a good trick to use, if the string is so close that you can't see if there is a gap or not.

Lars

This is the nut of the J45 in question:

1DmylPxl.jpg

This is the nut on my J50:

JnbKS8Tl.jpg

This is the nut on my D18:

7sNnyKel.jpg

Looking closely, I dont think there is a lot of room to file the J45 nut slots (I am concerned with the low A, D, and G). The strings kind of sit on top, where they sit in nice grooves on the other two guitars. Maybe Russo's used a short nut.Of course if I brought it down they would do whatever I wanted to address it. Or at least I think they would. The action IS low as I like it... its just the occasionally resonant sound I don't like, nor the string popping out if played hard.

As an aside I dont like seeing the lacquer seem to delaminate where it meets the nut on my J50, but thats another story, and one I am not sure is worth fixing.

If the strings are the height you like at the first fret, you can just put some back draft on the slots and get that look

Like Dave says. Just ramp the back of the slots slightly, leaving the string height where it is. This will let the string bear at a single point on the nut, rather than bearing on the full thickness of the nut. The ramps will keep the strings in place. Your other nuts look like they are done this way.

You can do this easily with your nice new files.

Sal Said: "I recently had my guys (Russo's) make a new nut for my J45, and do a setup where the action is just how I like it."

Now seeing the picture, take it back and have them cut you a new nut. The one they have installed is too low, that is why the slots are where they are. You cut them any lower, and your action will change. IMO, they should to it for free as what they gave you is not correct.

Now seeing the picture, take it back and have them cut you a new nut. The one they have installed is too low, that is why the slots are where they are. You cut them any lower, and your action will change. IMO, they should to it for free as what they gave you is not correct.

When you have a good working relationship with a shop, you probably don't want to ask them to do anything for free. If they offer to do it, that's fine, but if you ever expect to go back to the shop in the future, I wouldn't burn bridges over a job like this.

When you have a good working relationship with a shop, you probably don't want to ask them to do anything for free. If they offer to do it, that's fine, but if you ever expect to go back to the shop in the future, I wouldn't burn bridges over a job like this.

That’s my thoughts.

Sals already let us know that he has a good relationship with the shop and has said they’d fix it free

Angry customer approach rarely does any good.

You don’t want them spitting on your steak when ya send it back

This:

LLlLKU0.jpg

One half to three quarters of string diameter...........perfect. That nut does indeed need either adjusting or replacement, Sal. It's hard to tell in the photo if there's enough room to slot the nut just a little deeper and maintain sufficient string height over the first fret. In either case, a guitar with strings that pop out of the nut might as well be a broom........get it fixed.

This is the nut of the J45 in question:

1DmylPxl.jpg

This is the nut on my J50:

JnbKS8Tl.jpg

This is the nut on my D18:

7sNnyKel.jpg

Looking closely, I dont think there is a lot of room to file the J45 nut slots (I am concerned with the low A, D, and G). The strings kind of sit on top, where they sit in nice grooves on the other two guitars. Maybe Russo's used a short nut.Of course if I brought it down they would do whatever I wanted to address it. Or at least I think they would. The action IS low as I like it... its just the occasionally resonant sound I don't like, nor the string popping out if played hard.

As an aside I dont like seeing the lacquer seem to delaminate where it meets the nut on my J50, but thats another story, and one I am not sure is worth fixing.

I personally wouldn’t be happy with that nut, Sal. Looks like any serious bending would pop a string out of there. I’m a bit picky about but depth as I do quite a bit of looping and lead playing live, so if I can’t bend it, i need someone to mend it. It’s all down to personal preference of course though! I’m very tempted to buy nut files myself and start making my own nuts.

So to speak.

I personally wouldn’t be happy with that nut, Sal. Looks like any serious bending would pop a string out of there. I’m a bit picky about but depth as I do quite a bit of looping and lead playing live, so if I can’t bend it, i need someone to mend it. It’s all down to personal preference of course though! I’m very tempted to buy nut files myself and start making my own nuts.

So to speak.

I for one , and I’m sure I’m not alone , would like to see pictures of your nuts if you decide to have a go

Huh? They failed to provide what was paid for (assuming Sal paid for the nut replacement). That is an improper job and it needs to be fixed by the shop. Why would you pay them again?

That’s my thoughts.

Sals already let us know that he has a good relationship with the shop and has said they’d fix it free

Angry customer approach rarely does any good.

You don’t want them spitting on your steak when ya send it back

Who said anything angry? They failed to provide the service paid for and should make it right without additional charge. He should take it back rather than trying to fix their mistake.

Thanks for weighing in gents. The shop is aces. Scott would swap it out in a heartbeat if I want. I have a great relationship there, and I think they also think of me as a good client moneywise, and hopefully they think I'm a nice guy too.

When those files come I may try to gently de-ping and groove two of the slots.

RB, don't mind that I have tinkered with your guitar... it sounds fantastic, and weirdly has a thinner neck than my J50. It's like an electric neck. This is a gigantic plus for my long gigs. And the 45 with its look, playability, and trouble free pickup will serve me well.

Or I could swap the j50 and j45 for a Bird...

(Kidding! I think...)

Actually my J50 is just me. And my D18 is also going nowhere... CFM signed it too. :)

https://imgur.com/LJKWuPm

The Stew Mac files came. I used them to ever so slightly adjust and smoothen the A, D, and G slots.

Fantastic. Ping gone. Strings seated. and the DR Sunbeams make me believe I can play anything in the world on this guitar right now.

Big endorsement of those files. I don't know if i ever will use them again, but they are nice to have. I suppose they can always be sold as well.

Archived