Gibson Brands Forums

To wrap or not to wrap, that is the question....

Dave1963

I went through all this when I got my LP and eventually decided to wrap the strings and drop the tailpiece all the way down. I believe I got a bit of a slinkier feel and more sustain. What s the thought process on my newly acquired ES335? My LP is on 9's, but I am leaving 10's on the ES,as I prefer the tone from the 10's.

I just top wrap. It's more of a habit since the sixties.

I seem to recall it makes strings slinkier. It also provides a wider rest for the palm. It the string ends poke or scratches you, you can add an extra string ball before you string the guitar. I don't do it anymore with EB; just make sure the ends are poking down when you bend the string around the stop tail.

I just top wrap. It's more of a habit since the sixties.

I seem to recall it makes strings slinkier. It also provides a wider rest for the palm. It the string ends poke or scratches you, you can add an extra string ball before you string the guitar. I don't do it anymore with EB; just make sure the ends are poking down when you bend the string around the stop tail.

I have the extra ball ends on the LP, so I will do the same with the ES, it just makes sense to keep them the same.

I also wrap all my tune-o-matic-bridge guitars and lower the stopbar. It definately feels somewhat easier to bend (depending on the angle, the strings would go over the bridge) and I also notice (quite subtile) changes in tone. My bandmates would pretend to never notice anything, but I'm sure the sound has a subtile amount of more depth and sustain... But, nevermind could be voodoo as well [biggrin]

A quick uodate: The B string slips out of its slot on the bridge when bending strings hard. It doesn't matter as it doesn't affect tuning at all, just the occasional "ping" when it goes back in. I can't make the break angle any more steep as the stop piece is as low as it goes. Still going to leave as is.

Not sure where we will be venturing to. I want to see more than just London.

There are some very nice parts of our little country, to be sure. Some of the villages not too far from London are very picturesque.

Archived