Gibson Brands Forums

Epi SST Classic - Strings?

SSTClassicPlay

Newbie to the forum here.

I recently acquired an Epiphone SST Classic with the 1.75? nut. I need to put new strings on it and was wondering if anyone out there who owns this model could provide some suggestions for strings? I picked up a set of D'Addario Hards to try on it. I haven't put them on yet, but plan to this weekend. I love the feel of the guitar and am looking forward to many hours of enjoyment with it.

I think the strings you chose should be fine. I do not own that particular model, but I use similar higher tension strings on my classical guitar.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thanks for the confirmation!

I'm anxious to give them a try. The strings on the guitar now are definitely worn out! I may do some experimenting. The SST is a different animal that I'm not yet used to. Since the action is so low, I think string selection is going to be important.

After you change them, as with nylon strings, you’ll have to keep retuning them or some of them for at least a week until they stretch out and stay tuned. Then, keep them on as long as you can. Unlike steel strings, nylon strings can stay on for an exceptionally long time before needing to change them. Enjoy!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived