Gibson Brands Forums

What Model 12 String is this? Real?

tomh8

Ill post the pics I have Im waiting on more from the seller. The pick guard is throwing me off. It seems to have some Hummingbird appointments (pick guard) and songwriter (back of body, headstock veneer, finish). Im just not sure what model it is? and if it is even legit Gibson?

Also, will a regular hummingbird case fit this? or is the headstock too long?

Thanks in advance

Thanks! How can you tell? I thought the pickguard looked a little off

I own a bunch of gibsons and 2 hummingbirds.

Everything about this guitar is a red flag the burst is not of gibson quality.

Gibson only does the Rosewood Veener on the 12 string songwriter guitars never on a 12 string hummingbird.

The Bridge shape does not match any gibson acoustic bridge style.

The Classic "Open Book" headstock isn't consistent with the Gibson design.

I love Gibson Montana acoustics and know enough about them to tell you this did not come out of Montana.

See the 12 string Songwriter here:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2018/Songwriter-12-String.aspx

See the Hummingbird 12 string here:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2018/Hummingbird-12-String.aspx

In my opinion this is a very good FAKE ... It has enough visual quality to decieve a guy who isn't immerse in Gibson Acoustics.

I am a collector of fine gibsons and know the montana product welll ... This won't fool me.

You did good in asking for an opinion

JC

What year is this listed to be, and what model was it listed to be? I could not match the color, the binding or the bridge to any current Gibson, and there is no label in the sound hole that I could detect. Without more hard facts and a serial number, I think this might well be a scam. I would almost bet you will not hear from the seller with these facts (Just my humble opinion).

This is fake without a shadow of a doubt. I own a Hummingbird 12 and this isn’t one!

Ways you can tell: bridge shape is wrong, there is a truss rod adjustment socket cap at the soundhole end of the neck, machineheads are wrong, the guitar has a “barn door” side mounted preamp, the back and sides are the wrong material and the neck heel has the wrong profile...definitely avoid!

Tom, not sure where you are in the world but my friend Glenn Sinnock is a guitar dealer and has a beautiful J185 12 string in stock which is well worth a look. Glenn is a top drawer operator, I’ve bought many guitars from him and in the last few years have bought from him exclusively. Best guitar buying experience out there-his website is www.glennsguitars.com

I should add I have no business interest or commercial affiliation with Glenn-he’s just a great guy with many wonderful instruments who I can’t help but recommend to other good people!

This is fake without a shadow of a doubt. I own a Hummingbird 12 and this isn’t one!

Ways you can tell: bridge shape is wrong, there is a truss rod adjustment socket cap at the soundhole end of the neck, machineheads are wrong, the guitar has a “barn door” side mounted preamp, the back and sides are the wrong material and the neck heel has the wrong profile...definitely avoid!

I think even the head stock shape alone would be enough to judge...

Archived