Gibson Brands Forums

The guitar dater does not find any guitar with my serial number.

JAF

My Epiphone LP Special II Black/Ebony looks authentic. It has every detail it should so i don't doubt its a real one.

However the guitar dater project does not find the serial valid which is: SI07050145

From what i could gather myself is that it should be made in Samic Indonesia, May 1th, 2007. However i don't think that is correct. It could be that 07 = 2017?

The seller didn't have the receipt any more but he said it was bought at 4sound Moss(Stordahl Musikk), Norway

Here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/2XzVF

JAF,

There is a certain period of time for Asian and Indonesian Epiphones where the Guitar Dater Project has no reliable records.

The reality is that the serial numbering system from certain countries and date groups is just too haphazard.

Judging by both the model markings and the overall condition, I would say that its safe to assume that that guitar was made in 2007.

I just don't see how somebody could but that much wear and dust on a one-year old guitar.

I hope this helps!

[tongue]

I took images with a 16mpix system camera with flash. Could the level of detail with that camera delude you?

They are beautifully clear photographs, JAF.

And they reveal details of age and wear that simply do not support the hypothesis that yours is a 2017 model, rather than a 2007.

For one thing, all minor corrosion, dust, and wear in the screw heads aside, the more modern editions of that guitar have a blank truss rod cover.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Special-II.aspx

Does the age matter?

It won't affect value, in that the Special II is a student-level, fairly low-dollar guitar in the first place.

Great guitar, don't get me wrong, but you're never going to fetch too many Euros or Krone for one.

:mellow:

No it doesn't matter. Actually my 2015 g400 pro which i bought new myself, does also show same signs of dust although not the wear as much. Actually the wear is nearly impossible to see with the naked eye in normal light so if it is a 2007 model, it is in very good condition. I will keep it, as it sounds great. Just wanted to know the year and he said he had it for a few months, but guess he didn't bought it at a store in 2017 as he said.

I'm sure that the previous owner bought it a few months ago, but I am guessing that he bought it used, and not brand new.

I have been wrong before, don't get me wrong, but I suspect he bought it used.

I love it when a guitar turns out to be a keeper.

I owned a couple of Epiphone Strat bodies, an S300 in the 1980's (bought used in Germany) and later on, a new FAT 310 which I acquired in Hawaii.

Both sounded great, and they stayed in tune!!

[tongue]

I think it sounds great, so it doesnt really matter if its 11 years old. This just proves even a cheap Epiphone can endure some time.

Take a listen yourself, but bare in it is less than two years since i first started playing guitar.

Also, the number stamped on a neck plate for a bolt-on neck is unreliable, because those plates can be easily swapped out. Only a serial number stamped into the guitar itself, or on a factory sticker should be relied upon.

Archived