Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Neck Sizes

83 Capri 347

I searched this topic and could not find a tread describing Les Paul neck sizes. I am looking to purchase another Les Paul after playing the new 2018 Tribute. The Tribute has the exact neck that I am looking for but I want some up stream from that model.

So I am having trouble deciphering which models have the larger 50's neck and which have the 60's slim taper neck.

The LP I'm looking for would be a Standard style Honeyburst gloss or satin, very dark rosewood fretboard, slim taper neck (would love a compound radius but not a deal breaker). Would like it to have weight relief, not too concerned about pickups.

Any help in IDing the model that fits this description would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please all jump in and contribute regarding this, I feel they are making wider necks now. I believe they are wider and flatter on the back. You'll know the fat necks easy to distinguish from the 60s slim taper. I like the slim taper myself because I have small hands. I can play he fat necks also. Between 2008 to early 2011 the "Standards" made had the asymmetrical type necks also. I'm 62 and have been playing since I was around 17. I feel they are pushing fat necks on us right now from all brands.

Bear in mind the 2018 Standard T has Ultra-Modern weight relief (or was it the 2017?). I haven't played one, but it's a lot of weight relief.

My 2017 Standard weighs in at 8.4 pounds with ultra modern weight relief and it has the slim taper neck. I think the Classics also have a slim taper neck, 9 hole weight relief, plain top. That sounds like the one you want. My 2017 Tribute with the 9 hole weight relief weighs right at 9 pounds. The Traditionals have a 50's neck with a plain top and no weight relief. A Studio also has the ultra modern weight relief with a slim taper neck but not a burst top.

Hope that helps.

My 2017 Standard weighs in at 8.4 pounds with ultra modern weight relief and it has the slim taper neck. I think the Classics also have a slim taper neck, 9 hole weight relief, plain top. That sounds like the one you want. My 2017 Tribute with the 9 hole weight relief weighs right at 9 pounds. The Traditionals have a 50's neck with a plain top and no weight relief. A Studio also has the ultra modern weight relief with a slim taper neck but not a burst top.

Hope that helps.

Yes that info does helps for sure, thanks!

Archived