Gibson Brands Forums

thoughts on J 185s

uncle fester

Folks - Snowed in today, so apologies for the ramblings. Regardless - I got a chance to play a hummingbird pro (mahogany) and J45 mahogany cut away yesterday in my search for a cut away guitar. They also had a traditional J45 mahogany and Hummingbird (Rosewood) to compare. What I decided was, at least in the guitars i played a cut away really affects sound - and doesn't compare when played next to traditional models.

Having realized that - I think I'm barking up the wrong tree looking at a cut away dread.

They also had an SJ 200 traditional there... awesome to play, but toooooooo big for me, size sound etc... That leads me to think maybe a J 185ec is the way to go for my cut away (then down the road look at J45s and Hummingbird for a traditional guitar - those guitars really were freakin' beautiful!).

Finding a J185 to try seems to be the problem. I'm hoping it's a good all around guitar to play, expecting it to be bright - but hope for good articulation across the strings (if that makes sense). Generally I want to play any style of music across it... this will be my mix it up guitar (includes blues, blues rock, little bit of funk, old timer blues). I'm not expecting it to replace my traditional dread, but compliment.

Anybody have opinions on the J 185 as an all around guitar?

I think a J-185 could be a great all-round guitar. I would recommend trying one out first if you can find one. They sound quite different from all the other Gibson models I have played, seems you either love them or hate them. I personally love mine and if I had it as my one and only I'd be perfectly happy.

The J185 standard is a smaller Jumbo body with maple like the standard J200. Very comfortable with the small waist plus it’s a short scale instead of a long scale like the J200. All of my statements are in reference to the modern standard versions because we all know you can get about any combination of tone woods and scale lengths with the custom short run lots. I like the one that I got enough to sell off my J200 standard. Very nice guitar with the maple

sound. You’ll not get the J45 hog sound, it’s a lot quieter as most maples are. Of course in the right hands (not mine) you can do anything with any guitar. It’s in the fingers.

I agree with you the 200's are much too big for me as well, but I have never seen a j185 out in the shops, only on the internet and that is seldom.

I wonder why that is? I have never came across a J 185 here in the OKC area. Kinda of a hard find im guessing.

I adore J185s and can’t quite work out why I’ve never owned one.

I’ve recorded with and written with several though and they’re a smaller, slightly more focused sounding take on an SJ200. I love my SJ200 and have written, recorded and toured with them for donkeys’ years, but a J185 is, in effect, a better all-rounder than an SJ200.

I’d say if you were planning to own just one guitar, a J185 is a really good choice. You might WANT other guitars in time, but a good J185 is the kind of guitar that would be the only one you NEED.

Never tried the cutaway version. I do have a 2015 limited run J185 that I hardly touch. Why I'm not sure. It's too nice to take out gigging and I always seem to fall back to my SJ anyway as my go to.

Certainly a nice guitar however and much more comfortable than a J200.

Gibson only seem to make the J185 every so often. Not sure when it was last in the regular production lineup.

I'm sure you will get the right one for you, but just to inject some food for the thought.

I have a J200, I'm not a big dude (5' 7" 160lbs) I've had the J200 for 2 years now, prior to that a Taylor GS since 2005 which is a pretty big guitar as well.

Maybe I just got used to the size, but I don't find it to be a problem. And the way a J200 resonates against your body when you get em going, is some thing to behold.

The hunt is half the fun tho.. best of luck!

My natural finish 2012 J-185, if necessary, would be my one acoustic keeper.

The size & scale are a wonderful combo, and if you get a good one, the bass response will be full & rich while maintaining excellent note separation across the board. They can vary a lot, so if you try one that doesn't immediately float your boat, try another when the opportunity arises.

Note: I'm referencing a standard J-185. Haven't played the cutaway version.

Best of luck in your quest!

Thank you all, definitely food for thought. I guess it comes down to - do I wait until I can get a chance to try one (either one shows up around here, or travel to a shop that has one, might take awhile) or jump without looking and go the mail order route.

The high praise from this group of folks lends me towards taking a chance and get something in my hands sooner rather than later. J 185 this one has got my eye on reverb. I appreciate any input if there's any major red flags anyone sees?

With the exception of wishing it was 15 yrs older, and it feeling like it's just a little too expensive, this one seems to fit the bill. 'Slim taper neck - has me concerned, that's something I wish I could try first.

I'm not sure what is a fair price for one of those. It does have some stunning maple on it. Do you really need a cutaway.If not I would stick to a standard J-185. You could probably get one for a reasonable price and if it's not your cup of tea you can move it along without losing too much if anything.

perhaps having a specific model in mind isnt the way to go, just keep trying various models out and when you play a real and truly great one that speaks to you, just buy it, forget what its name is

Non-cutaway models will always hold their value better than cutaways. Plus that example has “barn door” electronics cut into the side which will be obsolete in 5yrs if they’re not already.

There’s nothing wrong with it per se, and the maple back and neck have some stunning figuring, but I would always buy non cutaway given the choice.

Again thanks all. If it was cut away vs not - I agree with you, I would go with the non cut away. My problem is I want a cut away in my stable.

Jinder mentioned the 'barn door electronics'. I haven't even focused in that direction - was figuring it came with what it does. Are there thoughts on what I should look at for the types of electronics as well?

If you are looking for a tone that is quite different from the mahogany Birds you were looking at, it's a nice short scale maple guitar. I will admit I had a hard time getting along with mine (2016) shortly after buying it, and was thinking about selling it. That was soon remedied with a proper setup (always a huge difference, especially on new guitars). Now I play it almost daily.

That being said, if there was a fire and I could only save one guitar, it would still be the Bird.

Archived