Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old Gibson Guitar Need information to date and model

#1 User is offline   R101 

• Group: All Access

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

Hello Everyone,
I am a new poster, Just registered yesterday. Looks like this forum will furnish a lot of information.
I am looking for some information on my old Gibson guitar. I have had it over 50 years. I believe it may be the L-50. Someone at a guitar repair service suggested it could be this model. He thought it was a 1935 model. I will try to post a photo. If I can't, I'll post it later when I learn how as this is all new to me. I think the photo loaded.
Any information would be greatly appreciated
r101

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   JimR56 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

It does appear that it might be an L-50, but it's hard to be certain from the one photo. The "script" logo on the headstock does point to a prewar date.

Here's a webpage where you might be able to confirm what you have. Scroll down the page about three quarters of the way, and you'll see the specs for the various lower-budget acoustic archtops that Gibson was producing at the time. Pay attention to measurements, wood types, etc. http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson2.html

Does your guitar have any numbers stamped inside? You can shine a light through the f-holes and search around inside.

Here's a page where you can find details about serial numbers and factory order numbers: http://www.guitarhq....son.html#serial

This post has been edited by JimR56: 19 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users