Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Style Jazz

Bigbadjohn123

Not sure if guitars have to be genuine Gibson

Looked at a guitar yesterday

Vintage Electric Semi Acoustic Hollow Body 1970's Jazz Guitar Japan - $225 overall it's in great condition with very little buckle rash

from an antique shop

ES335 Style Sunburst. Sounds great, never seen a guitar add where it did not say

Sounds great

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/...457407598.html

It looks OK but on the frets, they were level from 12' th fret down there was just an inlaid metal frett denoting position that was flush to fingerboard except on the last 2 lower string

the frett was raised as normal never seen this before I was thinking are these the so-called fretless wonder frets.

I was wondering how you would bend a note it would be like playing violin

The guitar was totally out of tune and covered with dust you could tell not been played in many years

The headstock was also unusual as the top 1 inch had been sawn off square

Maybe it was to avoid a lawsuit since it was Gibson looking and they had to

truncate headstock to import.

The guitar seemed to play OK no buzzing and extremely low action never seen action this low before

the tremolo arm is missing looks like it would need one similar to a Fender Jaguar the long one. would be very hard to get a correct thread.

Missing knobs no problem easy to get

I know I can get this for a lot cheaper possibly $150 or maybe not as it's there collecting dust, and it might be a great find.

I was attracted to it as I love Japanese made guitars.

Having only ever played solid body guitar I was amazed at the sound

I looked in a big guitar shop today at the ES-335's did not see any fretless like this

I wish I had taken some close up pictures to post

Archived