Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone buy from Dream Guitars in N.C.

jannusguy2

Never purchased anything from them. I did inquire about a guitar a few years back and they didn't seem interested in haggling of course the guitar market was better back then. I notice on their reverb shop listings that you can make an offer.

Trying to get a sense of their willingness to haggle on their prices listed on used instruments. I see "cash prices" vs "credit card prices" but wonder if they look at offers under the listed cash price. Grateful for any input from those in the know.

where they located I'm in SC and would like to check them out

Trying to get a sense of their willingness to haggle on their prices listed on used instruments. I see "cash prices" vs "credit card prices" but wonder if they look at offers under the listed cash price. Grateful for any input from those in the know.

I did an internet search and found who makes their guitars. I am not familiar with Dream Guitars, but do know of Wayne Henderson. If you can afford one of his guitars, don't haggle just buy it.

I did an internet search and found who makes their guitars. I am not familiar with Dream Guitars, but do know of Wayne Henderson. If you can afford one of his guitars, don't haggle just buy it.

Dream Guitars is a dealer in several high-end brands. I have my eye on something on their site but have not dealt with them before. Just trying to get a sense of their wiggle room on pricing from those who have dealt with them. I don't see myself ever being willing to spend what it would take to buy one of Wayne's guitars. Hell, I've spent too much already considering my skill level! :unsure:

Same for Preston Thompson...

Good luck man...

I’m going to Asheville for Memorial Day weekend. I may have to stop by that shop...

Dude!! My stomping grounds—let’s do an open mic (or two).

You’ll need an appt for Dream; it’s not a drop-by kind of showroom. Maybe you could also look up with Mr. Vintage Gibson, Gary Burnett, who lives around here somewhere.

Good luck man...

I’m going to Asheville for Memorial Day weekend. I may have to stop by that shop...

Leave the credit card at home Sal. They normally have some stellar vintage Gibson's in stock.😂

I did purchase a 1990 Martin HD-28 from Dream Guitars. It was in 2014.

The price was low (for a Martin HD-28) - below 1500USD. The condition was described as "good"

When the instrument came in my hands I was aghast...

It was this terrible smell of mold! The case was misshapen. From water.

I putted that case in the attic and never used it after...

The frets were protruding over the fretboard in a way I have never seen before.

The nut was terrible and below the nut there was padded some stick...

The tuners were... Well like tuners since 1990.

Lot of luthier's work was done by a friend of mine...

The smell diminished, but stands still (even now) though I sprayed the instrument several times inside with some Bill Blass "eau de Cologne"...

I wrote an e-mail to Dream Guitars to ask who was the previous owner.

Paul's answer was lubricous. He said that this was a guy who traded the instrument for some Taylor...

I suppose that the instrument was derelict in some basement for years and that cave was floated.

One year and a half after I got the guitar the top sagged and the luthier putted a "bridge doctor" inside.

He also installed a K&K Triniti Mini system in the guitar.

In this moment the instrument is in a new case, well humidified and in a good shape.

I call it "Old Christopher".

I just couldn't (and still can not!) believe that Dream Guitars sold me a musty Martin guitar...

I did purchase a 1990 Martin HD-28 from Dream Guitars. It was in 2014.

The price was low (for a Martin HD-28) - below 1500USD. The condition was described as "good"

When the instrument came in my hands I was aghast...

It was this terrible smell of mold! The case was misshapen. From water.

I putted that case in the attic and never used it after...

The frets were protruding over the fretboard in a way I have never seen before.

The nut was terrible and below the nut there was padded some stick...

The tuners were... Well like tuners since 1990.

Lot of luthier's work was done by a friend of mine...

The smell diminished, but stands still (even now) though I sprayed the instrument several times inside with some Bill Blass "eau de Cologne"...

I wrote an e-mail to Dream Guitars to ask who was the previous owner.

Paul's answer was lubricous. He said that this was a guy who traded the instrument for some Taylor...

I suppose that the instrument was derelict in some basement for years and that cave was floated.

One year and a half after I got the guitar the top sagged and the luthier putted a "bridge doctor" inside.

He also installed a K&K Triniti Mini system in the guitar.

In this moment the instrument is in a new case, well humidified and in a good shape.

I call it "Old Christopher".

I just couldn't (and still can not!) believe that Dream Guitars sold me a musty Martin guitar...

You had me at lubricous.

Is it possible something happened to the guitar in the journey to you?

You had me at lubricous.

Is it possible something happened to the guitar in the journey to you?

It was possible something to happen, but it DID NOT happen.

What happened was BEFORE that above mentioned site sold me that guitar.

There is no way all the frets to protrude 3mm above the fretboard, or that stick to poke under the ugly nut in the journey to me...

I even think that nut was plastic. I don't remember well because I forget bad things.

I have a wonderful friend master luthier and when I got some new instrument I send it right away to him and he fixes all the failures.

Have you ever go down into the wet basement of some 150 years old house?

If you did that, you must remember for sure the smell of mold. Traces of that smack still waft from the sound holemsp_unsure.gif

This can not happen during the flight from USA to Europe.

And the smell was NOT described by the vendor.

On the other hand I follow regulary Dream Guitar's youtube channel and I love the guitars they present.

And last, but not least I have to say out loud that my Martin HD-28 sounds mind blowing and is a dream guitar to play on. Nowmsp_biggrin.gif.

It was possible something to happen, but it DID NOT happen.

What happened was BEFORE that above mentioned site sold me that guitar.

There is no way all the frets to protrude 3mm above the fretboard, or that stick to poke under the ugly nut in the journey to me...

I even think that nut was plastic. I don't remember well because I forget bad things.

I have a wonderful friend master luthier and when I got some new instrument I send it right away to him and he fixes all the failures.

Have you ever go down into the wet basement of some 150 years old house?

If you did that, you must remember for sure the smell of mold. Traces of that smack still waft from the sound holemsp_unsure.gif

This can not happen during the flight from USA to Europe.

And the smell was NOT described by the vendor.

On the other hand I follow regulary Dream Guitar's youtube channel and I love the guitars they present.

And last, but not least I have to say out loud that my Martin HD-28 sounds mind blowing and is a dream guitar to play on. Nowmsp_biggrin.gif.

Here's a much better job at "Full Disclosure". This, from Elderly.

"VG-EC except needs some work (glue and cleat 2 top cracks, reglue bridge, reglue loose top braces, reseat and dress frets, restring and set up, etc. - sold AS-IS)"

So - Very Good to Excellent Condition.... on a 20 y/o Sherwood Virago, US made Gipsy Jazz acoustic. $1,250

So, I made a deal for this CS Martin I saw on the site. The deal included a 72 hour approval period. After I made the deal, I was cruising the web looking for similar guitars to see what they may have sold for, but really just faffing about. Lo and behold, I come across the very guitar I had just made the deal for when it was new as it was being offered by the dealer who had ordered it from the factory. So, this was a 2-year-old guitar in VG condition that was being offered by Dream Guitars for the original retail price. To be clear, I got 10% off of the asking price but, again, it was full "new" retail on a used guitar. Now, it turns out it was a consignment so the price may have been dictated by the owner and not the shop. Either way, I was reminded of every guitar that I have offered as a trade to a dealer being diminished in value, if not outright dissed, for being used. There's no way any dealer will give you what you think the value of your instrument is in any scenario. I understand that they have to make a living so don't get me wrong. But, when I saw that, it just hit me the wrong way and my sense of having gotten a decent deal went right out the window.

I let Paul know that I had come across some info about the instrument that had soured me on the deal and wished to cancel. He pushed back a little but I reminded him there was an approval period and I saw no sense in incurring shipping on a guitar I would likely be sending back anyway. So, that was the end of it.

So, just wondering, had you been in my shoes, how would you have reacted? BTW, I have another CS Martin waiting in the wings with similar specs that is new with warranty and 400.00 cheaper. That impacted my decision as well.

Regardless of the second deal awaiting I’d have reacted same way as you did

Told him to stick it. Politely of course

Things like that annoy me greatly. A bit of honesty at the beginning and you both probably would’ve liked the deal

Sad part is , he’ll get what he wanted but lying to the next guy

Good for you Jannus

I would do EXACTLY as you did.

I am surprised he didnt offer to sell for less....

I bought a new Hummingbird floor model (standard) from CME a year back. I sold it via consignment.... with the selling price being $400 more than my buying price new! So I came out down $50 bucks or so after commission.

So I don't fault him for listing it for what he thinks he could sell it for... In my case, I told my shop my cost on that Bird- and he suggested that they have a ton of foot traffic, and suggested the listing price he did. He was right.

But I am surprised when you discussed the deal after the fact he didnt knock $300 off or so...

Archived