Gibson Brands Forums

The Eagle (Hummingbird) Has Landed!

rindcorp

I just picked up this sweet HB on ebay and I am in love! It's always a gamble buying a guitar without playing, but I scored on this one. I'd been playing the HB's at the local Guitar Centers and was really digging them. Tried the torrified version and was underwhelmed. I was actually considering a Martin D-45 (I currently have a D-28 Marquis). But this one was the right price, so I went for it. What an amazing insrument! Another forum member commented that if you can find the right HB, they are sublime - I believe I've found one. This might be the best acoustic I've ever played - the tone is amazing. It's a 2000 (40th anniversary of the HB - coincidentally my Martin is a 175th anniversary). I guess it won some award that year - from Wiki: "In 2000 the Gibson Hummingbird was the winner of Acoustic Guitar's Player's Choice Award for the Dreadnought Category".

The guitar was filthy when I opened the case and I had to spend some time cleaning it up. It looked like a cat had been living in the case (found a bird feather?). I had a moment of terror when I saw some white crusted residue on the soundhole which I thought was mold! My luthier checked it out and said it was finishing compound and gently sanded it away. Put new strings on and now it sings!

I have to give thanks for this forum - the knowledge and experience of other members has been immensely helpful. It's great to have a resource like this when you need to know something about an instrument. I'm attaching a pic (sorry about the mess; I'm moving soon).

Back to playing... :)

Tonypost-88187-041432800 1516572724_thumb.jpg

Congratulations, rindcorp - glad to hear you found the right Birdy. Something very special about that.

Hope you'll enjoy each others company for many hours to come.

Look forward to hear more - which strings you choose, why, , , and how it sounds if it's possible to set up a demo.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . ~ Fly lightly ~

Congratulations, rindcorp - glad to hear you found the right Birdy. Something very special about that.

Hope you'll enjoy each others company for many hours to come.

Look forward to hear more - which strings you choose, why, , , and how it sounds if it's possible to set up a demo.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . ~ Fly lightly ~

I liked the strings that were on it - though they were a bit dead. I had my luthier gauge them and they matched what Gibson recommends for this guitar (can't recall exactly but a lighter gauge). My luthier gave me elixer's when he serviced my Martin and I did not like them so I went with something else. They're phosphor bronze, but I don't know the brand. I did notice the guitar sounded better strummed with a softer pick (I typically use a firmer one). The guitar has great tone, and I played something in drop D (fingerpicked - Dear Prudence) and it sounded so full and loud - really resonates. I don't have a good mic so it would be tough to demo it. I'll work on that... Thanks for the comments!

Congratulations!!!!! Enjoy the shocking moment and many to follow of (In my opinion) the "Mystic" sounds of "Hummingbird"! The finest sounding acoustic I have ever played ! Enjoy!

I'm feeling it! I've played a lot of nice acoustics - this one is special!

Congrats Rind... We sometimes ask ourselves the question " if I could only have ONE?" And variations like "the deserted island "or "my house were on fire" conundrums. In reading this thread, I suddenly realized I never SERIOUSLY considered those types of questions because they were too hypothetical, So, I actually gave the question some serious though: ignored the fact it would never happen and ... Came to the conclusion it is my H'Bird that would come with me! We hold on to guitars we love, and I truly love my other two - so it's a tough call. And, I would be very happy with either of the other two. But the H'Bird is just simply the best.So, Congrats! I'm sure your is too! Jim

Archived