Gibson Brands Forums

HP Dip Switches

drew365

Here's a breakdown of what the controls do.

DIP 1: Neck pickup can be split (true single) or tapped (P-90 type tone)

DIP 2: Bridge pickup can be split (true single) or tapped (P-90 type tone)

DIP 3: Neck pickup treble bleed circuit (On or off)

DIP 4: Bridge pickup treble bleed circuit (On or off)

DIP 5: Transient suppression circuit (Spike control) for recording

Neck Volume: Pull for Split or tap (depending on DIP 1)

Bridge Volume: Pull for Split or tap (depending on DIP 2)

Neck tone: Pull for neck pickup phase reversal

Bridge Tone: Pull for Full bypass (Bridge only in humbucking mode with disabled controls)

• Upvote 2

Right the description on the SG doesnt go into great detail...

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/DIP-Split-and-Tap-2017-Gibson-Les-Paul-Pickups.aspx

On selected HP models, there is also the added DIP switch (5 on/off sliders) within the body’s rear cavity that offers huge further flexibility.
Edited by Golden

Guest Farnsbarns

On my Strat I added a small switch my the volume pot to switch my bridge hum to a single. A DIP Switch is just another way of doing it.

No, the dip switches affect what the push/pulls do as opposed to being an alternative.

Thanks for the info. The dip switches do far more than I realized. The '18 HP's might be the best guitar Gibson has made in a long time. Personally, I wish they had gone with a medium fret wire for the SG instead of the "low profile". That's pretty much the only negative on the whole guitar for me.

I see this is very similar to (I'd call it essentially the same thing to) what Fender did in the 2014-15 Fender American Deluxe Strat Plus. It has a series of about 5 (circuit) cards that are interchangeable in a small compartment in the back. The card emulate different wiring combos. Additionally the cards have DIP switches on them, further offering seemingly endless combos for tone. And this whole thing is passive.

Pretty impressive as far as I'm concerned. Not too surprisingly, it was bashed by the Fender community (read that as forums)as being anything from stupid to gimmicky. In fact "gimmicky" became the most common descriptor for it. Go figure. "They" talk about rewiring different combos all day long, then when Fender doe that (and more) for them, they bash it. Fender promptly dropped that feature after that model. I bought one brand new for a ridiculous $850 and it is a really great American Strat. If you don't want to fuss with the cards and related features, just leave the original card in the slot and it is just like a regular Strat.

Once again, the fickle buying public doesn't know a good thing when it hits them right between the eyes. I expect no better reception to the new Gibson version.

I see this is very similar to (I'd call it essentially the same thing to) what Fender did in the 2014-15 Fender American Deluxe Strat Plus. It has a series of about 5 (circuit) cards that are interchangeable in a small compartment in the back. The card emulate different wiring combos. Additionally the cards have DIP switches on them, further offering seemingly endless combos for tone. And this whole thing is passive.

Pretty impressive as far as I'm concerned. Not too surprisingly, it was bashed by the Fender community (read that as forums)as being anything from stupid to gimmicky. In fact "gimmicky" became the most common descriptor for it. Go figure. "They" talk about rewiring different combos all day long, then when Fender doe that (and more) for them, they bash it. Fender promptly dropped that feature after that model. I bought one brand new for a ridiculous $850 and it is a really great American Strat. If you don't want to fuss with the cards and related features, just leave the original card in the slot and it is just like a regular Strat.

Once again, the fickle buying public doesn't know a good thing when it hits them right between the eyes. I expect no better reception to the new Gibson version.

Most guitar forums are slanted towards a "vintage is king" mentality. It was a Fender Custom Shop Clapton in Daphne Blue that taught me I wasn't a vintage guy. I loved everything about that guitar except playing it. I hated the vintage tuners, saddles, fret wire. I finally forced myself to pass it on to someone that would play it, at a large profit I might add. Now I know better and the HP series is looking pretty good.

Too much for a simple soul like me [mellow]

Unfortunately, when it comes to guitars simple is always better. No one guitar does the handful of things guitars do, that's why there are Fenders and Gibsons.

rct

• Upvote 1

Yeah once Henry and the Firebird X fell in love - the SG and LP were destined for more tweaking, the HP line etc. That said I havent seen them in person ..probably just out for 2018.

http://beta.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-gibson-brands-guitar-henry-juszkiewicz-20170618-htmlstory.html

Edited by Golden

• 1 month later...

So the sliders seem to be adjusted by removing the control plate instead of from the top?

1uVGhoR.jpg

for the SG much less control. no out of phase, no choice of the active coil.

the switches turn off and on a treble bleed for each pick up on vol pot.

or simple switch the type of coil split. or tap.

Les Paul gives you twice the control because of the 4 push Pull pots

8FnRHRj.jpg

just take a back plate off follow the directions on the plate

off position = a function

on postion = a different function

My head hurts just reading this thread...

it's actually extremely nice, I have the 2016 HP Les Paul.

all you have to do is ask yourself 4 questions.

and Gibson's intention is to make your guitar have features that you like when you activate the push pull pot. then you can change it back if you dont like it.

1. do you like a complete single coil bridge or do you like it as coil tap maintaining a little bit of a humbucker tone. I choose complete single coil, slide the switch.

2. do you want a treble bleed on the bridge to maintain treble during volume rolloff, I chose yes slide the switch.

3 do you like a complete single coil Neck or do you like it coil tap maintaining a little bit of a humbucker tone. I choose complete single coil, slide the switch.

4. do you want a treble bleed on the neck to maintain treble during volume rolloff, I chose yes slide the switch.

transient suppresion is useless no choice required off unless you are recording artist

on the Les Paul you also bonus get out of phase when you use the push pull vol

and you can switch the dominant (inner - outer) coil when split, when you use the push pull volume

really quite fun and easy

it's actually extremely nice, I have the 2016 HP Les Paul.

all you have to do is ask yourself 4 questions.

and Gibson's intention is to make your guitar have features that you like when you activate the push pull pot. then you can change it back if you dont like it.

1. do you like a complete single coil bridge or do you like it as coil tap maintaining a little bit of a humbucker tone. I choose complete single coil, slide the switch.

2. do you want a treble bleed on the bridge to maintain treble during volume rolloff, I chose yes slide the switch.

3 do you like a complete single coil Neck or do you like it coil tap maintaining a little bit of a humbucker tone. I choose complete single coil, slide the switch.

4. do you want a treble bleed on the neck to maintain treble during volume rolloff, I chose yes slide the switch.

transient suppresion is useless no choice required off unless you are recording artist

on the Les Paul you also bonus get out of phase when you use the push pull vol

and you can switch the dominant (inner - outer) coil when split, when you use the push pull volume

really quite fun and easy

on the Les Paul you also bonus get out of phase when you use the push pull TONE

and you can switch the dominant (inner - outer) coil when split, when you use the push pull TONE

these functions are actually on the tone pots, to help avoid confusion, coil splitting is on the volume pots

cheers

• 3 years later...

FWIW , this is the internals of a SG Standard 2018 HP-II, showing the DIP switch.

As the original owner of the guitar removed the label explaining the DIP switches, this thread has been very useful to me.

Note the high quality braided screening on the wire to the jack socket...  but total absence of any screening in the control cavity!

I wonder what the extra routing on the right was earmarked for...  maybe they didn't bother reprogramming the CNC for another model.

149840491_20211208_010824-Copy.thumb.jpg.1ecdcbaec3641058ebacec19d07421a9.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have a 2018 Gibson HP SG, Cobalt Fade, with the 5 way dip switch, and none of them are turned on. It has the push pull volume knobs, and I'm not sure which switches to turn on. Also the pickup selector is different, meaning the bridge pickup is only on when the switch is down. If it's in the middle or top position, only the neck pickup is on. I would like to have both pickups on when it's in the middle position. Is that set by the dip switch box? If so what number(s)? It says "CTS 206-5 T537 below the switches if that means anything. 

Thanks!

13 hours ago, GDaveW63 said:

I have a 2018 Gibson HP SG, Cobalt Fade, with the 5 way dip switch, and none of them are turned on. It has the push pull volume knobs, and I'm not sure which switches to turn on. Also the pickup selector is different, meaning the bridge pickup is only on when the switch is down. If it's in the middle or top position, only the neck pickup is on. I would like to have both pickups on when it's in the middle position. Is that set by the dip switch box? If so what number(s)? It says "CTS 206-5 T537 below the switches if that means anything. 

Thanks!

Have you seen MartyF's post explaining the what the dip switches do? Post #4 in this thread. None of them 'turn on' the bridge PU for middle position.

I'm not familiar with the model but AFAIK the middle position should use both PUs. Are you positive they arent?

On 1/22/2018 at 10:05 AM, Guest Farnsbarns said:

No, the dip switches affect what the push/pulls do as opposed to being an alternative.

The DIP Switches affect the Push/Pull in how the circuit is wired. There are tons of combinations you can do. But a switch is a switch. Its either open (off) or closed (on). No matter if we call it a DIP Switch, a toggle switch, or a push/pull switch, ect.

Like the light switch at your house it makes or breaks the circuit, nothing more nothing less, it's just how you wire it and what it goes to. You can get fancy and have a 3 way switch, or a 4 way switch, so you can turn lights on from one end, or the other of a hall way, or other room. 

And since the DIP (Dual Inline Package) Switch is in the control cavity you have to leave the cover off for easy access or stop, and take the cover off to change a setting. A push/pull is right there on top and can be done one the fly.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper