Gibson Brands Forums

J vs J

E-minor7

Right Em, if i may call you that. Just a beautiful tone, both. It makes me want to work on my attack and finesse in order to extract that essence from my old guitars. Thanks for the clip.

Hey, lets all start signing our real names when we close.

Dave

I hear much clearer mids in the J200 strummed, whereas the 45 sounds more compressed - nasally. I love both sounds. The 200s I have tried have surprised me for their not being more powerful, but that does not seem to be the case here.

Capo'd and fingerpicked - the J45 sounds sweeter.

Of course this is all - to me.

Very nice demo. Those two guitars are definitely horses of a different color. We have a 1960 J-200 and 1942 J-50 in the house. I agree that what characterizes the J-200 are saturated mids which is what makes them the best strummers on the planet. And no, it is not a loud guitar.

I just happened to try both of these models out at a local GC less than a week ago.

It could be the video, or the guitars - but the J45 I got to try seemed more alive than this one (I kind of have a crush on it). It wasn't bright, so much as full with really good articulation across the strings... 'freakin' awesome' I think was the scientific term. Having said that the J 200 was phenomenal as well, full, big, awesome - but too big for me, sound and size. I do feel this video really did that one justice though.

I'd like to have both, but the order for me goes J45, Hummingbird, J185, then J200...

I own and love both. My ‘67 J45 is king for blues as it sounds big, dirty and agricultural. Less sweet than a lot of J45s, it has a real bark to it and all the clang, boom and steam in the right places.

My SJ200 just sounds like Home. I’ve been playing these for so long that an SJ200 sounds comforting, it’s the sound of songs being written, gigs being played, the sound of the guitar that’s in my lap whilst me and whichever pal I’m touring with are swapping songs and sharing a cheap bottle of wine in a hotel room at 3am whilst on the road.

Neither is better, each is perfect and both are very dearly loved and appreciated.

Archived