Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul studio

mkl

No I don't have much experience, Have an acoustic and can play the basic cords and strum patterns, but electric is new to me. I don't want something that is difficult to play and will discourage my playing. I understand that it takes practice and time, but ease of playing makes it more fun. So I suppose I should see if theres a fender forum to ask questions about them, but it looks like a lot of you have those too. I don't really know values of used stuff and am limited on funds so don't want to get screwed. This is the other one

post-89643-033123200 1516968661_thumb.jpg MX16750950

Agreed. I often wonder how many players give it up because they started on something really crappy.

A Les Paul Studio is a very good starter guitar.. They are built in the same place by the same people who make the Standards and the like, its just Studios don't have some of the more fancy stuff like binding..

BUT they are still fairly expensive compared to what you can get for much less money.. Theres some really nice Epiphones for example or a Mexican Tele.... Also rather than just a studio you should look at the Tribute Studio or one of the LP Faded guitars which are even cheaper than a studio and still really nice guitars. Dont let the prices fool you, you can get some real nice guitars for a great price these days (and it wasn't always like that).

Sort of depends on what sort of music you like and what you want too play.. And how much money you are prepared to lay out and where you live in the world.

Also one thing to know that I don't think a lot of people get about guitars.. When ever you buy a guitar, second hand or new, it is rarely set up how you want it and people either learn to do it themselves (its not that hard) or get a luthier or guitar tech to do it and its worth it, it can make all the difference between a nice playing guitar or not.. For easier playing you generally want a nice low action (strings as close as they can be to the fretboard without causing any buzzing)...

The other thing to know is that all electric guitars can feel and sound slightly different as most of them are hand finished so each has a slightly different set up so you can take say 10 Les Pauls, all same model and made at the same time and each will feel just that bit different.. Also something I wasn't aware of for a long time is that you get VERY different neck profiles.. Gibsons generally have either fat 50s necks or slim 60s necks which can also make a HUGE difference to how it feels to play (where as some people don't care and can play either quite happily).

Well I hope some of that babble helps and good luck on your search [thumbup] Come back and let us know what you end up with.

This tele Made in Mexico.

Ensenada Plant (Fender), Mexico

in 2016 or 2017

Production Number: 750950

Just a guess, should be looking at some where around 300/400 used depending on condition. Good news looks like it has a hard shell case.

This tele Made in Mexico.

Ensenada Plant (Fender), Mexico

in 2016 or 2017

Production Number: 750950

Just a guess, should be looking at some where around 300/400 used depending on condition. Good news looks like it has a hard shell case.

Thanks

Anybody know anything about Michael Kelly Guitars

I've never heard of them and some on Ebay go high and some go really cheap, so it makes it look like you really better know what you're looking at. Does anyone here play one?

One of my local guitars stores carry these ones, there basically Samick made guitars out of South Korea.

Epiphone used to have theirs built there, but they have moved to there own plant in China now.

I find the Epiphone ones are better built and higher end ones use Gibson pick ups.

For the money I would get an Epiphone, and here is mine I got at GC for 299.00.

26232099_10155793703846327_7470930181264448995_o.jpg?oh=449f7900fd8a9b6988c0212e43e8d299&oe=5AE2D143

26233627_10155793703866327_192832150919870187_o.jpg?oh=18b6d936209f3da69e65acfccac25c85&oe=5ADCD1CB

3 hours is a haul and a half...

if you were able to tho, it would be a pretty good experience if you were "cash in hand" ready to purchase.

if you have any friends that play and have some experience, may be worth taking them along.

but, yea 3 hours,, ouch....

So this is what I ended up with. The Gibson went for more than I thought it should. It was a little beat up and then you guys said that the Seymour Duncan pick ups weren't OEM. This cost me $250 with case and strap it was made in Mexico 2012-14 and is the Stratocaster Blacktop. Anyway do you think I got hurt or a fair deal. Looks good without any scratches and rosewood neck. It's no Gibson but it's a start. I'd put a picture but I keep getting an error file to big.

Well I think Gibson only give you 500k to upload..

What most of us do is upload the pics to an image hosting site like https://imgur.com/ once uploaded to there use the BB Code link it gives you and copy that directly in to your post.

Like this :)

Y5oXxDS.jpg

So this is what I ended up with. The Gibson went for more than I thought it should. It was a little beat up and then you guys said that the Seymour Duncan pick ups weren't OEM. This cost me $250 with case and strap it was made in Mexico 2012-14 and is the Stratocaster Blacktop. Anyway do you think I got hurt or a fair deal. Looks good without any scratches and rosewood neck. It's no Gibson but it's a start.

ZKweC49.jpg

• 2 months later...

So as most know that have been replying to this thread I bought a fender strat and have been playing it some but also have an acoustic that I play a little more. Have really been hoping to get my 8 year old grandson playing and have been taking lessons and really bought the strat for him when he gets a little older. I noticed on this strat that there seems to be an issue with the High E string on the 1st and 2nd fret where it just sounds muted when played. All other strings are fine and the frets 3, 4, 5 ect seem to be fine. Is there something that might be out of adjustment?

So as most know that have been replying to this thread I bought a fender strat and have been playing it some but also have an acoustic that I play a little more. Have really been hoping to get my 8 year old grandson playing and have been taking lessons and really bought the strat for him when he gets a little older. I noticed on this strat that there seems to be an issue with the High E string on the 1st and 2nd fret where it just sounds muted when played. All other strings are fine and the frets 3, 4, 5 ect seem to be fine. Is there something that might be out of adjustment?

It sounds like the strings are too low. If the other strings are fine, try raising the bridge on those two strings a little bit and see if it goes away. If you don't feel confident doing that, take it to someone. The nut could also be cut a bit too low or the neck could need some adjustment. It's good to learn how to do this yourself and there's lots of videos online. A minor adjustment like that shouldn't cost too much if you take it to a luthier.

To go with what MichealT added, you might want to invest in a set of feeler gauges - bought mine at Lowes. They don't cost much, but to figure out if your truss rod needs adjustment or how high the bridge should be according to factory spec, these prove a highly valued tool. I know some like to deviate away from the spec, but I like to keep everything factory. That's just me though... Many videos show how to adjust the truss rod using a capo and feeler gauge set - helps to know that a guitar's neck can be made to be straight. As well, the string height adjustments can be taught online as well via video or article. Many of these share the same information. But generally, I tend to have the situation where low frets (1, 2, etc.) are buzzing, this is either a high fret or string height adjustment. It could also be a truss rod issue, so that's why you want to set up the guitar to spec first, then see what "noises" you encounter. I don't see this being too out of the question, because the lower frets are pretty commonly "used" to play as many of the "standard" chords incorporate using these first few frets.

Overall, try to get guitar set up to spec either by your own accord or a trusted technician/luthier. From there, you can evaluate whether or not your frets are not level or was a symptom of improper truss rod/bridge height (or saddle height) setup - or worse a warped neck, God forbid! Good news on a LP, it is easy to look at string height and truss rod stuff because you have a solid one-piece bridge. Only 2 places you can adjust it. You have to expect that the bridge that came with the guitar was properly radiused... In my case, I play with Nighthawks where each string is individually saddled, and you eventually need to get a radiusing tool to get the most optimal play-ability. But, if there are any more questions, people here have many good ideas where to go from here.

Archived