Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul studio

mkl

So I'm kind of new to this and I want to find out what I need to find the value of a Les Paul studio

mkl,

It's simple.

Post a photo of the guitar, and provide the serial number.

From that serial number we may divine the year of manufacture, and from the photo we can discern the model, and overall condition.

After that, a quick visit to the Blue Book of Guitar Valuations, tempered by some regional pricing on the internet, and bingo-bingo, you have a really good ballpark price for your used Les Paul Studio.

Can you describe in general terms where you live?

THat'll help with the regional pricing trends.

:)

Okay, enough with the funny answer...

Just like with diamonds, Guitars have the four C's,

Condition

Corrosion

Color

Case.

You need to look at the condition and if there is corrosion to deal with, this includes scratchy pot and poor electrical components.

Then there is what color is it? Rare colors could be worth more, or they could be rare because there ugly. A flametop is worth more then a say a black one.

Gold or black hardware is worth a bit more then chrome per say.

Then there is case, does it have a case? No case, well a used case could run 100-200 bucks, and new one up to 300.

All of this effects the price, and without being able to really put our hands on it, it is very hard to come to a price on it.

It would be my first Gibson and I'm a beginner so I don't want to over pay when I could use the money for a better one. It does have a hard case and it's going to be at an auction so not sure if I'll get to hear it. #002380674

post-89643-086820700 1516881690_thumb.jpg

post-89643-058456200 1516881917_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Be careful...

Some people will try to up the price and hype it up, because they are selling a "Gibson". We can spot these a mile away, but a novice buyer, maybe not.

It would appear this one may have been modified (pickups don't look stock) and that is not a Gibson case (Studios usually come with gig bags)

With the cost of brand new tribute models coming in at ~ a grand, educate yourself first. would you rather a new guitar, out of the box, or a used one for the same/similar price???

for example: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Tribute&sb=score&params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJCcmFuZCI6WyJHaWJzb24iXX19

Go to eBay, and look for "completed" listings of the same model (you have to have an ebay account and login to use this) eg: "Gibson Les Paul Studio"

This will show you the Les Paul Studio auctions final selling price.

Compare what you see on eBay, to what you see brand new from the link above.

THIS is the ball park your dancing in price wise from one verses the other.

Now you at least have an idea of fair market value of a used LP studio, verses buying a new Tribute (similar to a studio) from "somewhere" else.

good luck, and let us know how the story ends.

I would look at a bunch, theres various renditions of the same basic package from faded, tribute, LPJ etc to gloss finish and upward with tops electonics etc also the ohsc becomes a factor in pricing them. Some are slighly less expensive simply because they come with a bag and not a case. If your looking for a good playing and sounding faded, tribute, LPJ etc you'll find a nice LP in the $500. range. But, as you see if you need a ohsc or other appointments then so to the price becomes a factor. They come with both 50 and 60 necks, various pick-ups and so forth so playing them imho is a way to avoid future regrets

Do you get to inspect it before the auction? I'd want a look at it (fretboard, neck joint etc.) before bidding.

I think I see a Seymour Duncan logo on the neck pickup, so they're not stock. Not that Duncans are bad. Are the original pickups included?

I'd probably look at a new Tribute first, myself. In fact, I did, and got a 2017 for 600 bucks on clearance sale,,and I don't just love it, I'm IN love with it! And the 2018 Tribute looks great, and it's $1k (here at least).

On the other hand, maybe you have an opportunity to snag a great guitar for cheap here. But I wouldn't buy a guitar unless I could have a look at it first.

Thanks guys. I would have never known all the info I've got here. Great forum already. The only info I have on it is what I have shown here. I'm looking at it like you are and won't actually see it for another week. Maybe I should be asking that, since I'm a beginner should I even be considering this guitar unless I could just pick it up for a couple of hundred bucks.

I took a quick look at "completed/sold" auctions on ebay,

prices are all over the map, averages tend to range from ~500 to 800 USD.

I would ask for more photos tho. like the back of the neck, where the neck and headstock meet - make sure it's not a head stock break/repair. The front doesn't show it, but it wont always.

some photos of the frets (behind the strings) on the first 3 or 4 frets, and possibly the cavity were the volume/tone controls are. If the pickups were replaced like they seem to be (Seymour Duncans by the looks) you'd want to make sure the solder job wasn't a train wreck.

some photos of the back of the body too, just to see the over all condition would be good.

Mkl: this is one helluva forum - it's like a 24-7 hotline if you need to ask something.

If you get to look at it before bidding:

HEADSTOCK: does it look like it's been repaired?

BACK OF NECK: check for cracks.

NECK JOINT: same.

BRIDGE: same.

FRETBOARD: Uh... Same.

What kind of guitar are you looking for, btw?

I'm going to stick my neck out here a bit and say this is a post raid guitar,(Rosewood board) most likely a weight relieved one and the pick ups and the case are not stock.

Being a solid color, I would look for signs of re-paint on the neck, this could be from a headstock repair.

500 would be my absolute top price and only if I could send it back for a refund If it's turd.

Thanks guys. I would have never known all the info I've got here. Great forum already. The only info I have on it is what I have shown here. I'm looking at it like you are and won't actually see it for another week. Maybe I should be asking that, since I'm a beginner should I even be considering this guitar unless I could just pick it up for a couple of hundred bucks.

Heres the thing, some of these have 50s necks others 60s profile, slightly different pick-ups, and last of all inlay finish etc. Either way you can find these or the one your looking at for a relative price as I showed you. But when we talk, neck etc, its really up to you. Welcome anyway and at least now you know you have multiple choice options. I like the faded because I like the fact you can finish them by hand and remove the "faded" spots and just redo them with stain and tru oil. Consequently when you bang it up you can just touch it up. And they can be bought 4-5 hundred IF you look around.

The guitar in question, by that serial number anyway, was built in Nashville, Tennessee on January 23rd, 2008.

This according to the usual guitar dater project filter.

Worth, by the standard Blue Book valuation metrics, $600 in the condition I saw in those photos.

Dicey to buy it at auction without getting to hold it and play it.

The aftermarket Seymour Duncan pickups might be really boss, and they might be wired-in incorrectly.

And, like all the other posters have pointed out, there are a lot of variables and other damage to look out for.

Ya never know.

:unsure:

Mkl: this is one helluva forum - it's like a 24-7 hotline if you need to ask something.

If you get to look at it before bidding:

HEADSTOCK: does it look like it's been repaired?

BACK OF NECK: check for cracks.

NECK JOINT: same.

BRIDGE: same.

FRETBOARD: Uh... Same.

What kind of guitar are you looking for, btw?

Just looking for a starter guitar that has good sound and not difficult to play that will last a few years. Not embarrassed to take it somewhere to jam with others. Also looking at a road worn 50's Fender Telecaster, but always liked Gibsons looks so most likely will stick with the Gibson. There is also a couple of amps that I'm not sure would be the better or what they're worth. One is a Fender Champion 100 amp and the other is a Behringer Vampire Amp.

When you say 'starter', I think of those $100 kits with the amp and lead, but have you actually played many guitars? - apologies if you have, but if not a Les Paul is quite different to play (angles n stuff) than something like a fender and all the normal flat top electrics. I'd certainly have a look at the Tele as well, cos if your a starter player then you may find one much easier to play and therefore fun than the other. Again, if you have some experience apologies for this basic observation.

Just looking for a starter guitar that has good sound and not difficult to play that will last a few years. Not embarrassed to take it somewhere to jam with others. Also looking at a road worn 50's Fender Telecaster, but always liked Gibsons looks so most likely will stick with the Gibson. There is also a couple of amps that I'm not sure would be the better or what they're worth. One is a Fender Champion 100 amp and the other is a Behringer Vampire Amp.

I would not go much past 500 either, and I'd be skeptical the pickups were done properly, and also, what they are. Duncan makes many different kinds, and some are great, some, are not for every one's ear.

IMHO,, if you can swing it financially, look at a new LP Tribute. Those are very good values. They are what the studios used to be in my eye.

A USA Made LP with out the $3,000 price tag, you will want to procure a proper case, gig bags don't cut it.

No I don't have much experience, Have an acoustic and can play the basic cords and strum patterns, but electric is new to me. I don't want something that is difficult to play and will discourage my playing. I understand that it takes practice and time, but ease of playing makes it more fun. So I suppose I should see if theres a fender forum to ask questions about them, but it looks like a lot of you have those too. I don't really know values of used stuff and am limited on funds so don't want to get screwed. This is the other one

post-89643-033123200 1516968661_thumb.jpg MX16750950

Yeah, I pretty much go back and forth with Fender so thats really up to you. The amps theres a few out here that are inexpensive non tube and decent and well priced used if you can find them, like the Boss Katana 50, Roland etc. Or for a bit more a tube platform Egnator, Vox, Fender, Marshall etc all make small 112 combos various output in a competitive price range. Its up to you but look around and consider your own situation, you need to meet two points one as you say playing out, the other is home in which for various reason may require a different platform with headphones etc. Or something else to play through.

So in short for example you can do all the above with one amp- Katana 50 and for little investment and when your tired of it- no problem selling it imho. So depending on situation from a pragmatic view, you can still play through a completely usable very nice sounding set-up. Up to you and your ears.

you can ask fender question here.

plenty of us have Fenders...

For that telecaster, we'd need to know more about it.

where is it made (Mexico, USA, an earlire 80s / 90s Japan made?)

Do you have a serial #?

you have to be a bit more careful going into these purchases, because Fenders are pretty easy to disassemble, or build, and slap a fender decal on the neck.

The serial # is one way to authenticate what you are looking at. More detailed photos too, the one attached isn't much help for further identifications.

Are these eBay auctions or sth else?

It's all about what you want to spend. You can get used Tributes and Studios, as people have said, for 500-800. New Tributes can be gotten for 800 or 900. I own one and absolutely love it. The good thing about Gibson guitars is that they'll hold their value pretty well if you don't trash them. So, if you buy the Studio for 500, you can sell it for 500. If someone is a beginner and ask me for a guitar recommendation, I'll recommend a decent used guitar because you never know if they'll stick with it. Gibson Studios and Tributes are fine guitars. Made in Mexico (MIM) Fenders are fine guitars. There's some nice Epiphone Les Pauls and some nice Squier Stratocasters and Telecasters as well. It's all about how much you want to spend.

Archived