Gibson Brands Forums

Howdy from Austin!

Sam Y.

Howdy from Austin! I’m new to the forum, my name is Sam. I’ve played guitar since high school and am finding something new every time I pick up my instrument (around 17 years) and play. I recently picked up a 2016 Cherry colored Gibson Explorer and am having a lot of fun getting to know that instrument.

With the new year here I’m challenging myself to step outside my comfort zone and I want to do a few open mic nights here in Town.

With that being said for those of y’all who are a bit more adventurous what tips do you have for playing in public and breaking mental stage frights?

I look forward to hearing from everyone. Happy New Year!!!

Howdy from Austin! I’m new to the forum, my name is Sam. I’ve played guitar since high school and am finding something new every time I pick up my instrument (around 17 years) and play. I recently picked up a 2016 Cherry colored Gibson Explorer and am having a lot of fun getting to know that instrument.

With the new year here I’m challenging myself to step outside my comfort zone and I want to do a few open mic nights here in Town.

With that being said for those of y’all who are a bit more adventurous what tips do you have for playing in public and breaking mental stage frights?

I look forward to hearing from everyone. Happy New Year!!!

Hello Sam, nice to meet you... I used to live in Seguin. I played in a couple of weddings AGES ago, but now mostly play at home in my little music room.

As far as stage frights, I'm sure it's normal, but I would think that the more you play publicly, the more you would get used to it and the frights would lessen... Sounds good on paper :)

Cheers!

-Keith

Hi & welcome to the forum Sam.

Stage fright is normal and can be hard to overcome. Kieth is right on the money about it. You have to get up there and get on with it.

I used to be part of a core 'band' at jam session nights at a local pub. Like 'open mic' in most ways.

Lots of people turned up with guitars but few came forward to play. Only when last orders was called (closure) did they all find the courage to come forward. It was too late of course. We were breaking down by then.

It does get much easier. I suggest you determine to play an open mic night, and do it. It doesnt matter how nervous you are, just do it.

The ideal thing is to concentrate entirely on what you are doing and keep it simple. If you try to play anything challenging it will likely go wrong. Save your ambitious playing until you have more confidence. You will have more confidence pretty quickly. [thumbup]

Welcome aboard Sam from another Austin area earth stalker. I wish I could provide some cutting-edge insight into playing live/open mics, but I've only done so on a handful of occasions so I am sorely lacking in expertise on the subject. Good luck with your endeavor.

Archived