Gibson Brands Forums

Blue Chip pick suggestion

EddieNYC

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an angle that I'm not sure has been discussed. Unless you can afford 20 of them (~$800 US or so) the stress of keeping track of a single pick just isn't worth it. A pick's a pick, you put it in your pocket, you put it down, you bang it on the table, you leave it places.

I like the bluechip, it sounds different, softer than my fender heavy tortoishell, i believe it does offer a better grip (a few songs i just play better with it) but the stress of keeping track of 1 pick is just not worth it. At a min. you spend 20 mins a day speeding around to all your past locations looking for it, at a max - you go for several agonizing days searching all the places repeatedly wondering where the hell it went, not really wanting to play guitar because you can't find your favorite pick blah bah dee blah blah. And then it turns up, in the middle of the floor, of the freakin room you work in, day in and day out wtf (happened twice).

I just ordered a tin of Gibson Heavy picks for $21 US... comes with 72 of them I believe. Now that's a number i don't mind decorating my house with. Maybe too much, if there's anyone that has a tin of mediums and wants to swap half of them send me a message, variety in bulk is even better. Mine are supposed to be hear end June, will report back how I like them then.

To give them props though - I do like the bluechip pick, i give them a thumbs up, but stress of any type bothers me... when i can order a pile of them i'll be back, until then my every day driver will be something i can afford in bulk.

Is investigating homemade picks of any value, does anybody have stories on successful homemade pick attempts - I've heard stories of folks using wood and stone, but not sure how I feel about that?

Regardless, Happy Friday,

Keep picking... in bulk ; )

.....the stress of keeping track of a single pick just isn't worth it.

Really? More urgent things to stress over than a guitar pick. There are only three places my pick ever is......in the strings on a break, on the corner of the desk with the tuner & capo when the guitar is bagged.......or in my hand.......always know right where it is. You can do it! And relax! [flapper]

Some thumb picks I should've thrown away but I've never lost one. Finally quit trying new ones after settling in with a Blue Chip JD.

if i didn't have a habit of misplacing things, the blue chip would be in the conversation if not my pick of choice. Is the thumb pick for the banjo, or do you use one on the six string?

if i didn't have a habit of misplacing things, the blue chip would be in the conversation if not my pick of choice. Is the thumb pick for the banjo, or do you use one on the six string?

Folks use the JD thumbpick on both banjo and guitar ... guitar only for me.

Archived