• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blue Chip pick suggestion

#21 User is offline   MikeCT 

• Group: All Access
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

View PostFZ Fan, on 27 January 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

I tried the Clayton version of them before and had the opposite problem. There is zero wiggle from the start and it kept taking so much to get the pick how iíd like. It was glue and it just felt way to weird for me when iíd Use them. The closest I got to a solution was really scraping them up, or using some sports tape on it.

I really like the Gibson tortoise cell picks that I keep a great grip on too.

Now iím feeling really high maintenance......

This post has been edited by MikeCT: 27 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

2017 Gibson J-45 Standard
2017 Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard

#22 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

Re: 'stickiness'

I've stated before that makers claims of 'they stick to your fingers' are untrue.

But plenty of you find that they do.

Perhaps its my oily skin, but no picks adhere to my fingers. I can and do drop all of them. V-picks, Blue Chip, Gravity and others.
Here, Vinnie Smith suggests that we should wash our picks regularly...

http://v-picks.com/p...s-well-anymore/

Washing picks (or hands) makes no difference to me. Nor does newness. I've just received 3 Psycho picks from Vinnie, and none of them stick at all.
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#23 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 26 January 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

They are good

You should all buy one

Not everyone will benefit from them.

I've acquired picks from every brand I have heard of (excepting Redbear). I've had custom picks made to order, and have designed & made a few of my own. Almost no brands make picks that will suit everyone. Timbertones comes the closest.
my band BLOWN OUT

#24 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

View Postmerciful-evans, on 27 January 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

Re: 'stickiness'

I've stated before that makers claims of 'they stick to your fingers' are untrue.

But plenty of you find that they do.

Perhaps its my oily skin, but no picks adhere to my fingers. I can and do drop all of them. V-picks, Blue Chip, Gravity and others.
Here, Vinnie Smith suggests that we should wash our picks regularly...

http://v-picks.com/p...s-well-anymore/

Washing picks (or hands) makes no difference to me. Nor does newness. I've just received 3 Psycho picks from Vinnie, and none of them stick at all.

#25 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

Just pick out a rock and carve it to a pick shape. It is the same thickness as a V-pick Psycho.

#26 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

• Member At Large
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

Tarrr said:

1516990554[/url]' post='1912720']
For an acoustic guitar, the pick is the tone control knob.

Blue Chip Picks are made from a proprietary material, not plastic. Benefits are - less effort to hold, free's the wrist.... and less pick click with clean tone. There are endless options for shape and thickness, R/L bevel or no bevel. Example, order a TD40, at checkout in special instructions ask for 42 thickness.

I like variety & own guitars from several diff makers. These are the picks I use for tone control:

Posted Image

For some reason I was expecting them to be blue... Or Gold. At 75 cent each, instead of 75 dollars, I'll stick to Dunlop Ultex.

SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013

#27 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

If you can get enough people to pay that price for a guitar pick, your Company becomes a "Blue Chip" Company on the New York Stock Exchange.

I'm working on a $ 700.00 guitar cord right now.

It's gonna be green.

Like money....

#28 User is offline   MikeCT 

• LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

Itís a $5 or $9 experiment is the way I thought of it. $4+ shipping to me plus however I want to ship it back. The $35 is 100% refundable within a month. It worked because because I didnít end up returning anything!

Mike

#29 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• upstanding member
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

View PostFZ Fan, on 27 January 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

Just pick out a rock and carve it to a pick shape. It is the same thickness as a V-pick Psycho.

I have a bunch of stone picks, and some diamond files to re-shape them. But make one from solid? Someone here did. It may have been Bence? It takes an age without all the right kit. Anyway stone tends to be quieter than plastics and suits jazz (neck pickup used clean) better.

BTW, I revisited the last pick review I posted and noticed I had not answered your question (about reshaping). I will do, but need to use a photo or two. Sorry bout that.
my band BLOWN OUT

#30 User is offline   Tarrr 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

MikeCT (OP of this thread)

I hope you have been able to glean some insight from members who actually own and use BlueChip picks. As you know BlueChips are not sticky, they're just much easier to grip and lessen the wrist tension, which is an invaluable benefit. best

#31 User is offline   MikeCT 

• LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

View PostTarrr, on 28 January 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

MikeCT (OP of this thread)

I hope you have been able to glean some insight from members who actually own and use BlueChip picks. As you know BlueChips are not sticky, they're just much easier to grip and lessen the wrist tension, which is an invaluable benefit. best

I know - not sticky at all but not slippery at all either.

#32 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

View PostMikeCT, on 28 January 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

It's a $5 or $9 experiment is the way I thought of it. $4+ shipping to me plus however I want to ship it back. The $35 is 100% refundable within a month. It worked because because I didn't end up returning anything!

Mike

So here is their return policy that I posted below. My question is, so lets say it takes 4 days to get to the purchaser. You obviously have to pick and strum your guitar with it to find out if you like it or not. Say you take 15 days, or so to try it out. If you ship it back, and that takes 4 day or so. Now you make the required 30 day return time limit, but it is gonna have wear marks on it. So how can the even make this offer?

Returns Policy

We are pleased to offer a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason, we will refund your full purchase price.

The thirty day period begins on the day we ship your pick and picks that are returned must be in "as new" condition.

You should expect to receive your resolution within two weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in most cases you will receive a refund/replacement more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper, the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it, and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request.

This post has been edited by FZ Fan: 28 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

#33 User is offline   MikeCT 

• LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

View PostFZ Fan, on 28 January 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

So here is their return policy that I posted below. My question is, so lets say it takes 4 days to get to the purchaser. You obviously have to pick and strum your guitar with it to find out if you like it or not. Say you take 15 days, or so to try it out. If you ship it back, and that takes 4 day or so. Now you make the required 30 day return time limit, but it is gonna have wear marks on it. So how can the even make this offer?

Returns Policy

We are pleased to offer a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason, we will refund your full purchase price.

The thirty day period begins on the day we ship your pick and picks that are returned must be in "as new" condition.

You should expect to receive your resolution within two weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in most cases you will receive a refund/replacement more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper, the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it, and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request.

I guess thatís the other thing with these picks, there wonít be wear unless youíre physically trying to bend it all over the place. There are people all over Acoustic Guitar Forum that say they are still great years into owning them. I guess iíll find out.

I bet if you tried it youíd know within 10 mins whether it was worth the hype or not for you. For me, what the material does (grip and glide) and how the speed bevel works were eye opening.

Mike

This post has been edited by MikeCT: 29 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

#34 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:27 AM

View PostMikeCT, on 28 January 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

I guess that's the other thing with these picks, there won't be wear unless you're physically trying to bend it all over the place. There are people all over Acoustic Guitar Forum that say they are still great years into owning them. I guess i'll find out.

I bet if you tried it you'd know within 10 mins whether it was worth the hype or not for you. For me, what the material does (grip and glide) and how the speed bevel works were eye opening.

Mike

Understand. But they have to wear. Maybe not in a few months or half a year, but something like an unknown mystery material being scrapped up and down on a metal strings (depending on how much you play) is gonna get wear eventually. $35 and one is $75.

#35 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:31 AM

View PostFZ Fan, on 29 January 2018 - 05:27 AM, said:

Understand. But they have to wear. Maybe not in a few months or half a year, but something like an unknown mystery material being scrapped up and down on a metal strings (depending on how much you play) is gonna get wear eventually. $35 and one is $75.

They really donít wear.
I donít know what theyíre made of but I canít see why one wouldnít last someone indefinitely

They are particularly suited to bluegrass fast picking. So if thatís not your thing then they may not be something worth looking at
And if youíre happy with the ultex , tortex or whatever then again why bother looking at anything else

Buc McMasterís videos are a demo of what they sound like. Good for his kinda strumming / picking

Good thick tone given from them

#36 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:58 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 29 January 2018 - 05:31 AM, said:

They really don't wear.
I don't know what they're made of but I can't see why one wouldn't last someone indefinitely

They are particularly suited to bluegrass fast picking. So if that's not your thing then they may not be something worth looking at
And if you're happy with the ultex , tortex or whatever then again why bother looking at anything else

Buc McMaster's videos are a demo of what they sound like. Good for his kinda strumming / picking

Good thick tone given from them

How long have you had the current one you are using? I assume you play everyday. I play pretty much every day for about 3 hours on average.

#37 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• Follow your joy, grasshopper.
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:12 AM

View PostFZ Fan, on 29 January 2018 - 05:27 AM, said:

But they have to wear.

Uh......no......they don't. Every other pick I've ever tried (except Red Bear!) eventually gets a knife-edge on it from scrubbing the strings. I have a pretty heavy string attack with any pick and the Blue Chips I own still look brand new after just over three years. As I mentioned before, if you're the type that loses little stuff like guitar picks, dropping $35 on one doesn't make much sense..........but if you hang on to them the price is of much less concern. I still have the dozen or so I've purchased.......I do like to experiment with shapes and tip designs. And I find that my ear changes from time to time.........sometimes the TP pointy tip sounds better than the TPR rounded one. That may have something to do with different string sets on different guitars.

This post has been edited by Buc McMaster: 29 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

J35 - J45 Vintage
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been.

#38 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:32 AM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 29 January 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:

Uh......no......they don't. Every other pick I've ever tried (except Red Bear!) eventually gets a knife-edge on it from scrubbing the strings. I have a pretty heavy string attack with any pick and the Blue Chips I own still look brand new after just over three years. As I mentioned before, if you're the type that loses little stuff like guitar picks, dropping $35 on one doesn't make much sense..........but if you hang on to them the price is of much less concern. I still have the dozen or so I've purchased.......I do like to experiment with shapes and tip designs. And I find that my ear changes from time to time.........sometimes the TP pointy tip sounds better than the TPR rounded one. That may have something to do with different string sets on different guitars.

That is impressive. 3 years and no wear. I may try one out. I want to try the TAD1R in 35 but they don't make it. It comes in a 40. 40 is the max I would do.I looked on Red Bears site and they only had 2 picks at the time to buy and they were really thick.

This post has been edited by FZ Fan: 29 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

#39 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

Iíve a red bear pick and itís not as good as the blue chip

Itís tiny , which doesnít suit me

And clacks on the strings

#40 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

Iím going to be reckless and try one when I have some money to spare.

I tend to keep my picks in my pockets and scatter them all over the place when looking for keys or change, so Iíll have to change my ways a bit!
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2015 Custom Shop Advanced Jumbo Maple (Ltd to 65)
2014 Custom Shop J180 Everly (Ltd to 65)
2005 Custom Shop Hummingbird 12 String (Ltd to 12)
1990 Hummingbird (Fullerplast and Paddle neck joint. Yuck...My favourite 6 string ever!)
1967 J45
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster
1998 Fender Strat Plus

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic