Gibson Brands Forums

Blue Chip pick suggestion

EddieNYC

So here is their return policy that I posted below. My question is, so lets say it takes 4 days to get to the purchaser. You obviously have to pick and strum your guitar with it to find out if you like it or not. Say you take 15 days, or so to try it out. If you ship it back, and that takes 4 day or so. Now you make the required 30 day return time limit, but it is gonna have wear marks on it. So how can the even make this offer?

Returns Policy

We are pleased to offer a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason, we will refund your full purchase price.

The thirty day period begins on the day we ship your pick and picks that are returned must be in "as new" condition.

You should expect to receive your resolution within two weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in most cases you will receive a refund/replacement more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper, the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it, and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request.

I guess that’s the other thing with these picks, there won’t be wear unless you’re physically trying to bend it all over the place. There are people all over Acoustic Guitar Forum that say they are still great years into owning them. I guess i’ll find out.

I bet if you tried it you’d know within 10 mins whether it was worth the hype or not for you. For me, what the material does (grip and glide) and how the speed bevel works were eye opening.

Mike

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Understand. But they have to wear. Maybe not in a few months or half a year, but something like an unknown mystery material being scrapped up and down on a metal strings (depending on how much you play) is gonna get wear eventually. $35 and one is $75.

They really don’t wear.

I don’t know what they’re made of but I can’t see why one wouldn’t last someone indefinitely

They are particularly suited to bluegrass fast picking. So if that’s not your thing then they may not be something worth looking at

And if you’re happy with the ultex , tortex or whatever then again why bother looking at anything else

Buc McMaster’s videos are a demo of what they sound like. Good for his kinda strumming / picking

Good thick tone given from them

But they have to wear.

Uh......no......they don't. Every other pick I've ever tried (except Red Bear!) eventually gets a knife-edge on it from scrubbing the strings. I have a pretty heavy string attack with any pick and the Blue Chips I own still look brand new after just over three years. As I mentioned before, if you're the type that loses little stuff like guitar picks, dropping $35 on one doesn't make much sense..........but if you hang on to them the price is of much less concern. I still have the dozen or so I've purchased.......I do like to experiment with shapes and tip designs. And I find that my ear changes from time to time.........sometimes the TP pointy tip sounds better than the TPR rounded one. That may have something to do with different string sets on different guitars.

I’m going to be reckless and try one when I have some money to spare.

I tend to keep my picks in my pockets and scatter them all over the place when looking for keys or change, so I’ll have to change my ways a bit!

That is impressive. 3 years and no wear. I may try one out. I want to try the TAD1R in 35 but they don't make it. It comes in a 40. 40 is the max I would do.I looked on Red Bears site and they only had 2 picks at the time to buy and they were really thick.

They will make it for you. Call them and tell them or when you buy it online just tell them you want it in 35 (comment box). They were doing to do that for me with a TP 35 but I decided to stick with a TD style. I’d call and just make sure it’s a normal return policy still, but they’ll make it. And it was going to ship the same day too so no wait.

Mike

I've owned a couple of mine for 6-7yrs, good as new. Anytime you want to have one re-buffed/shined or re-beveled.... just send it in and they will return, only cost is postage.

When ordering on-line, at checkout in the special instructions, order for a TAD1R - specify you want it at 35, 37, 39, 57, etc. Just rec'd my custom SR55 last week.

Value? There is no substitute for a pick that frees your wrist from the tension required to hold a plastic pick.

Very (very!) subjective, pick choice is......like string choice. Blue Chip for me has the feel, response and sound I want to hear from my guitar.

The high price is due to the cost of the material, something from DuPont. Of all the picks out there this one works to ALL of my expectations of a guitar pick.

Warm rather than bright. Smooth attack, never harsh nor brittle. Very good tactility, to the grip and string aftack. Absolutely no wear......none behind years of service.....this still amazes me.

If one tends to lose track of things like guitar picks, dropping $30 on such a thing may well seem crazy. I do understand. Also that every player has different

expectations and their own way of meeting them. Cool.

I have a TD35 and a TD35RB and agree with everything Buc said above. How the pick glides through the strings while flatpicking has to be my favorite part though.

Before these I played with a medium celluloid and with the BCs i’m Going back and forth between the .89 and 1.00s. The thicker strums/glides better. It’s really weird!

Now I have a couple of days left to decide if I keep the TD 35 and 40 or just stick with the same for each guitar.

I wouldn’t pass judgement in expense... glass houses and all on my property.

Maybe one day I will try these expensive picks. In the meantime, several cheap options work great for me. COOL Heavy picks are outstanding, and cost a buck. And Gibson Heavy Black picks are also amazing. I spent $20 for a tin of those at Christmas. Dunlop Primetones are right behind.

YMMV

I called them yesterday about 5 minutes after they closed (damn time zones), but e-mailed them and asked it they could make the one in the thickness or in my case thinness I want. Have not heard back yet.

I’d just call them. There were very good about returning emails so they may just be jammed with something. They’ll pick up.

What do folks here think about speed bevels?

For any that aren't familiar, this is what it looks like

tad100__52233.1303330559.220.220.jpg?c=2

Yes it replicates pick wear. Obviously left handed players need the bevels running the opposite way from the one shown.

Do you find it makes a difference?

(I dont expect it to be noticed if you are strumming)

I just got the e-mail back from Blue Chip and they can do it, but it would be custom, so it would not have a return policy.

Decisions?

What about trying the closest stock size to what you want to see if you even like it first? If you do and still want the custom size then exchange it for your custom size. You don’t pay shipping again on exchanges (aside from you mailing it back).

I’d mention that with this material you may actually like something thicker than your normally use. I played with 60 and 73s only before I bought these and now I find miyself playing with the BC 40 (1.0 mm) more than the BC 35 (.88 or .89mm). I never would have expected that.

Mike

The bevel (L or R) is for speed and/or clean note finess. The round bevel (RB) is good for strumming. I often turn the right bevel TD point to the side when I want to switch to a chordial rhythm part and then turn the point back to the strings for arpeggio. I have a TD43 RB, seldom gets much action.

The heavy picks like the 60-100 are almost always used by bluegrass shredders, loudest diddle diddle volume contest with the banjo twangers. hee haw

I've been thinking you're all crazy considering $35+ for a pick... but lately I've been playing a lot of slide guitar, strumming really hard and have a hard time holding the grip on my pick.

Is that a reason to look at one of these, or is it purely tone... any suggestions on how to improve grip?

Thanks for any input.

Just looking at the BC pick site... how do you pick the option you want? Is it you strictly should get the shape and size I like today - or do they have recommendations based on playing styles etc...

Besides their selection, I didn't see anything to help guide you through the selection process.

Just looking at the BC pick site... how do you pick the option you want? Is it you strictly should get the shape and size I like today - or do they have recommendations based on playing styles etc...

Besides their selection, I didn't see anything to help guide you through the selection process.

Because these picks are so expensive, you may want to experiment with cheap picks to find a shape, size, and thickness that works for you before buying Blue Chips. The cheap picks won't be a perfect analogue, but may give you an idea of shapes and sizes you like or dislike. They do have scaled photos or drawings of each pick, so you can compare with what you are using now or what you experiment with.

Pick choice is about as personal as you get. What works for me might well not work for you.

billroy, BC Picks does not offer recommendations because words have different meanings, stairway to heaven.

For playing mostly rhythm, you might want a more rounded tip, many options.

For playing lead, you might want a TD teardrop tip.

Thickness, thinner will make it more bright and the thicker will make it less bright.

Road goes on forever....

Archived