Gibson Brands Forums

Blue Chip pick suggestion

EddieNYC

I was very kindly send a Blue Chip pick by a fellow former which arrived today, and I’m frankly astounded at how good this pick feels and sounds. So warm sounding and has such a buttery feel across the strings. I spent an hour with my 2001 Epi EL-00 and couldn’t stop playing-I wrote a song within twenty mins and couldn’t put it down...I’m a convert!

I’m looking forward to seeing how it wears...or doesn’t. I can definitely see some more of these coming into my life.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do hope someone on this forum gets commission. $35 for a pick is over the top - but evidently easier to justify than a new guitar.

I started out showing her a $4500 H bird i was thinking of ordering, and after she came down off the roof - the $35 pick didn't sound that bad... so i ordered 2 (a TD 45 and TAD 50). They've shipped, and can't wait for them to arrive - I'm hoping for a Jinder like experience!

....and I’m frankly astounded at how good this pick feels and sounds.

It does indeed. Nothing else like it as far as I'm concerned.

$35 for a pick is over the top......

But only if you lose that $35 pick. It will never wear out, which makes it an excellent investment if you don't lose it!

Hi all - got my blue chip picks yesterday (a TD 45 and TAD 50 - TAD for 3 string slide). I feel I notice a difference, but it doesn't hit you over the head as much as I thought it would. At first blush I feel an understated benefit to tone is how easy they are to hold and keep a grip on.

Regardless - here's a (non-Gibby) comparison of the TD45 and a Fender Heavy Tortoiseshell Pick (my regular go to). This is played on a non gibby mahongany dread, recorded straight into my iPhone with garage band than uploaded to soundclound. Apologies for background noise etc... i'm learning - but hope it's informative. Pick Comparison

FYI - I play a little something with one then other, and then repeat for 3 different types of strumming. If there's any guesses to which is which, or comments to differences, I'll post which pick played first than second later today / tomorrow morning... if not i'll humbly crawl back to my rock till i think of something else to bother you all with ; )

happy sunday - go pats

I bought a TAD40 and a TPR45 after reading the thread and hearing them exhalted to heaven on UMGF.

They are definitely great picks. I got mine last week, and really enjoy them. I won’t gig with them though.

By the way, if these picks merit an “A”, my black plastic gibson heavy picks are an “A-“, and they cost $20 for a tin of 40.

I don’t regret the purchase, as they are nice and I will use them at home.

I also like the COOL Heavy picks. By the way... they cost a buck.

I bought a TAD40 and a TPR45 after reading the thread and hearing them exhalted to heaven on UMGF.

They are definitely great picks. I got mine last week, and really enjoy them. I won’t gig with them though.

By the way, if these picks merit an “A”, my black plastic gibson heavy picks are an “A-“, and they cost $20 for a tin of 40.

I don’t regret the purchase, as they are nice and I will use them at home.

I also like the COOL Heavy picks. By the way... they cost a buck.

Hey ThemiSal - How come you wouldn't gig with them?

I wouldnt gig with them because I would be bummed if I lost one.... Yup.

Nice picks. For me I might pay $10 bucks for them again - not $35 though.

Again - no knock on the picks - just the value to me. I really like them.

I just also really like these:

mvGYrQrl.jpg?1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gibson-guitar-pick-tin--50-standard-picks/h68010000002000

https://www.elderly.com/cool-picks-pure-cell-100-celluloid-flatpick-102400.htm

I like ‘having’ a blue chip pick

But it wouldn’t ruin my life if I never had one

The gibson picks for some reason I can’t fathom really nice picks

I like the larger tri cornered ones rather than those little uns

Sometimes I like a thick pick and sometimes I reach for my little herco gold picks

Sometimes fingers

But the blue chip pick won’t make anyone fantastic. They’re just a plectrum

Most of the times the song chooses the plectrum rather than me

I agree with FZ fan, $35 for an improved playing experience is a short price to pay. Now that I have a couple, I'd say these are nice, glad I have them - but not sure if they're nicer than some of the other selections out there for shorter money. T-Sal has me interested in the Gibson Heavy. When I lose these in a week or so, i'll let you know if I like them enough to order again.

I agree with FZ fan, $35 for an improved playing experience is a short price to pay. Now that I have a couple, I'd say these are nice, glad I have them - but not sure if they're nicer than some of the other selections out there for shorter money. T-Sal has me interested in the Gibson Heavy. When I lose these in a week or so, i'll let you know if I like them enough to order again.

Pick up a couple of Gibson heavy picks. As Sal says they’re good also. And only pence

$35.00 guitar picks, $100+ capos...where would the world of commerce be without dedicate hobbyists looking for the next accessory (says the guy who just ordered a $46 glass slide) :rolleyes: .

And to think I used to use a lipstick tube cover as a slide, and buy single replacement strings to make a set last longer.

As a reality check, I only paid $50 (+$10 for the cardboard case) for my 1948-1950 J-45 just over 50 years ago. But it was pretty well-used for a guitar that was less than 20 years old.

And to think I used to use a lipstick tube cover as a slide, and buy single replacement strings to make a set last longer.

As a reality check, I only paid $50 (+$10 for the cardboard case) for my 1948-1950 J-45 just over 50 years ago. But it was pretty well-used for a guitar that was less than 20 years old.

Yeah. I got my first guitar when I sold the PA from my first band that had dissolved (I was the singer and owned that piece of equipment). Sold it back to the store I bought it from, and I don't remember the conversation or the dollar amount, but it went something like "How much will you give me?" "$200 and this used guitar." "How much without the guitar?" "$200." So I took the guitar. It was a Harmony Sovereign H1260; wish I still had it!

I got both the TD 45 and TAD 50 (TAD 50 for slide). I just sent the TAD 50 back today, to replace it with the TAD 40.

I noticed the TAD 50 sounded muffled compared to the big triangle med fender pick I had been using, and the TD 45 sounded a bit brighter... or louder than the TAD 50. Hoping going for the TAD 40 continues the trend and I get the great pick you are all talking about. Will report back when it comes in.

I do think the feel of the pick is better - but didn't get the sound I was hoping for.

Hey Folks - I saw this dead horse on the side of the road and felt a need to beat it. I just got my replacement pick (a TAD 40 in place of a TAD 60). My assessment is the TAD 40 still muffles the sound of the guitar compared to a Fender Heavy. From what everyone else is saying, I guess I just hear things different than everyone else (probably why I sound so darn good to myself!)

Anyways - I'm keeping it until I get a nice guitar to see if something transforms, but just ordered a case of Gibson Heavy Black for now.

Archived