Gibson Brands Forums

Blue Chip pick suggestion

EddieNYC

I have a J-45 and a Hummingbird and have been trying the Blue Chip TD 35 and 40 picks for the past week or so and can’t decide between them. I really like how fluid they are coming off of the strings and the sound. Part of me likes the 35 on the HB because everything sparkles a little more, and the 40 more on the J-45 because of less string rattle on the low strings (i’m Sure i’m Not describing this correctly). I’m playing mostly jadon Aldean, Eric Church, and Kenny Chesney music if that helps. The 40 sounds fuller on both guitars for sure but less bright.

Any perspectives on these picks for these guitars?

Thanks!

Mike

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't find mine.......

I have one, but I never use it because it's too sticky and I was afraid I would get addicted to them and they're too damned expensive.

Your thread made me look for it, and I've forgotten where I put it.

I have a birthday coming up.....

I’ve got to ask, and I mean no disrespect whatsoever in doing so, but what is it about Blue Chip picks that makes them so expensive and justifies the outlay?

I’ve used the yellow Dunlop Tortex picks for close to 20yrs, I’ve never found a pick I like better and they’re tactile, toneful and inexpensive. Over here in the UK, Blue Chip picks are £40 a piece. Obviously they’re a different kettle of fish, but I could buy 100 Tortex picks for that...what is it that makes the difference in build quality and price accordingly?

...what is it that makes the difference in build quality and price accordingly?

Very (very!) subjective, pick choice is......like string choice. Blue Chip for me has the feel, response and sound I want to hear from my guitar.

The high price is due to the cost of the material, something from DuPont. Of all the picks out there this one works to ALL of my expectations of a guitar pick.

Warm rather than bright. Smooth attack, never harsh nor brittle. Very good tactility, to the grip and string aftack. Absolutely no wear......none behind years of service.....this still amazes me.

If one tends to lose track of things like guitar picks, dropping $30 on such a thing may well seem crazy. I do understand. Also that every player has different

expectations and their own way of meeting them. Cool.

I’ve got to ask, and I mean no disrespect whatsoever in doing so, but what is it about Blue Chip picks that makes them so expensive and justifies the outlay?

I’ve used the yellow Dunlop Tortex picks for close to 20yrs, I’ve never found a pick I like better and they’re tactile, toneful and inexpensive. Over here in the UK, Blue Chip picks are £40 a piece. Obviously they’re a different kettle of fish, but I could buy 100 Tortex picks for that...what is it that makes the difference in build quality and price accordingly?

The Tortex picks are the best cheap picks I've found if you like the feel and tone of high end picks such as the Blue Chip and Red Bear, but don't want to pay the price. As Buc says, the Blue Chip (I have a TFR 50 he gave me a few years ago) has a thick, warm tone that's hard to beat if you have the right guitar for it.

Well Mike I have three TD-35's. I also have numerous other picks as we all do. I like the quality of the Blue Chip. On of the main reasons I like it is it doesn't have that clackity pick noise you hear with many other picks. I also have both a J-45 and a Hummingbird and love the sound of the Blue Chip with both. Not dull, not harsh, just right. You also want to keep track of where you put them, not a good thing to lose a pick of that price.

The question of can you justify the price? Well compared to the cost of most of the guitars we play it's a pretty small price. And if you like them you're not going to keep reminding yourself how much you paid for that pick while you're enjoying the music it produces from your guitar. We can only justify our purchases to ourselves, it really doesn't matter what others think. I fell you'll be happy with either of those picks on your Gibsons...I know I sure do. Good luck!

I have a TD-40 tri point pick which I bought about 3 years ago.

I had used Gibson Tri picks (medium & heavy depending on string tension) for 30 years before then.

The Blue Chip TD-40 is about 25% better than the Gibson ones IMO. I dont use the Blue Chip pick anymore and have never used picks on acoustic guitars (only thumbpicks).

Over the last 3 years I have spent a fortune on all kinds of picks. The Blue Chips are indeed good, but so are many others.

For an acoustic guitar, the pick is the tone control knob.

Blue Chip Picks are made from a proprietary material, not plastic. Benefits are - less effort to hold, free's the wrist.... and less pick click with clean tone. There are endless options for shape and thickness, R/L bevel or no bevel. Example, order a TD40, at checkout in special instructions ask for 42 thickness.

I like variety & own guitars from several diff makers. These are the picks I use for tone control:

I5JM3UC.jpg

FZ, any size you wish starting at 35... 35 = 35/1000" or .89mm

vs typical plastic, the BC will sound a tad stronger and brighter in my experience. The more rounded tip models vs Tear Drop (TD) will also effect tone. I found the TD35 to be too thin and bright, a tad so for the TD40, thus my 42. I use the 53 for my huge sounding Collings CJ, softens it up a bit. Many options but imo 40 is a good place to start, browse their site:

http://shop.bluechippick.net/categories/TD/

I got one of these a few years back, the TD40. I has really helped me thanks to their stickyness. I had a BIG problem with the pick slipping between my fingers, changing the angle of attack and tone, as I worked my way through a song. The heavier the strumming, the more problems I had. I read about these, and gave one a try. It has done wonders for me! These picks tend to develop just the right amount of stickyness from the heat of my fingers not to slip. I've had it for about four years now, with no wear showing. When looked at it this way, $25 is cheap. However, should I misplace one every week or so, I would probably think differently. I have always used one of the rounded sides of my picks, even the ones like the TD40 designed with a pointier end. Gives me a mellower tone and more pick area to grip, and the TD40 also has much less pick noice than any other ones I've ever used..

I also got a TD35 not so long ago. For me this one sounds slightly better on guitars with light strings. I tend to put 13s on my Martins, so they get the TD40. My Gibsons get 12s, so they get the TD35. Call me crazy, but I need all the help I can get, so I like them!

Lars

I thought it was ridiculous too but caved, tried them and love them. I’ve wanted to love the yellow tortex for years but no matter what I do to it it keeps slipping. Now i’m Rotating between the two BCs trying to figure out which one sounds better, and i’ll throw the Gibson tortoise cell into the rotation too. They stick to the fingers and glide off the strings.

I tried the Clayton version of them before and had the opposite problem. There is zero wiggle from the start and it kept taking so much to get the pick how i’d like. It was glue and it just felt way to weird for me when i’d Use them. The closest I got to a solution was really scraping them up, or using some sports tape on it.

I really like the Gibson tortoise cell picks that I keep a great grip on too.

Now i’m feeling really high maintenance......

Re: 'stickiness'

I've stated before that makers claims of 'they stick to your fingers' are untrue.

But plenty of you find that they do.

Perhaps its my oily skin, but no picks adhere to my fingers. I can and do drop all of them. V-picks, Blue Chip, Gravity and others.

Here, Vinnie Smith suggests that we should wash our picks regularly...

http://v-picks.com/pick-does-not-stick-to-your-fingers-well-anymore/

Washing picks (or hands) makes no difference to me. Nor does newness. I've just received 3 Psycho picks from Vinnie, and none of them stick at all.

They are good

You should all buy one

Not everyone will benefit from them.

I've acquired picks from every brand I have heard of (excepting Redbear). I've had custom picks made to order, and have designed & made a few of my own. Almost no brands make picks that will suit everyone. Timbertones comes the closest.

1516990554[/url]' post='1912720']

For an acoustic guitar, the pick is the tone control knob.

Blue Chip Picks are made from a proprietary material, not plastic. Benefits are - less effort to hold, free's the wrist.... and less pick click with clean tone. There are endless options for shape and thickness, R/L bevel or no bevel. Example, order a TD40, at checkout in special instructions ask for 42 thickness.

I like variety & own guitars from several diff makers. These are the picks I use for tone control:

I5JM3UC.jpg

For some reason I was expecting them to be blue... Or Gold. At 75 cent each, instead of 75 dollars, I'll stick to Dunlop Ultex.

If you can get enough people to pay that price for a guitar pick, your Company becomes a "Blue Chip" Company on the New York Stock Exchange.

I'm working on a $ 700.00 guitar cord right now.

It's gonna be green.

Like money....

Just pick out a rock and carve it to a pick shape. It is the same thickness as a V-pick Psycho.

I have a bunch of stone picks, and some diamond files to re-shape them. But make one from solid? Someone here did. It may have been Bence? It takes an age without all the right kit. Anyway stone tends to be quieter than plastics and suits jazz (neck pickup used clean) better.

BTW, I revisited the last pick review I posted and noticed I had not answered your question (about reshaping). I will do, but need to use a photo or two. Sorry bout that.

MikeCT (OP of this thread)

I hope you have been able to glean some insight from members who actually own and use BlueChip picks. As you know BlueChips are not sticky, they're just much easier to grip and lessen the wrist tension, which is an invaluable benefit. best

MikeCT (OP of this thread)

I hope you have been able to glean some insight from members who actually own and use BlueChip picks. As you know BlueChips are not sticky, they're just much easier to grip and lessen the wrist tension, which is an invaluable benefit. best

I know - not sticky at all but not slippery at all either.

Archived