Gibson Brands Forums

2011 Les Paul Custom Shop fretboard

gdx65

Hi,

I have a 2011 Les Paul CS 1958 and someone told me that Les Pauls (even CS and Gibson other models) produced around 2011 period may not have a true rosewood fretboard due to the CITES issues around that period before and after 2011. Thus GIbson used laminated fretboards and the only way to see it is to remove the nut...

It looks like also Gibson support is not really able to answer on this one as they do not know or cannot tell from the serial numbers... Anyone on this matter?

I am sure the fretboard on my R8 is rosewood but I sent an email to GIbson support with the serial from LP just for curiosity...

Guest Farnsbarns

If it's a CS 58 RI it's definitely rose wood (Indian rosewood). It may, however, be two pieces laminated. What's the serial? If it's early in 2011 it's not likely but if it's late 11 it might be. It's generally considered that 2012 was the year of the laminated fretboard.

If it's a CS 58 RI it's definitely rose wood (Indian rosewood). It may, however, be two pieces laminated. What's the serial? If it's early in 2011 it's not likely but if it's late 11 it might be. It's generally considered that 2012 was the year of the laminated fretboard.

By the way I just got an answer from Gibson customer support (serial is 811447)

----------------------- Reply from Gibson support ----------------------

Yes, this guitar should have rosewood fingerboard.

Best regards,

Marcelo

Customer Service Europe

Gibson Brands, Inc.

00800-44427661

service.europe@gibson.com

www.gibson.com

Guest Farnsbarns

It will definitely have a rosewood fretboard. The question they haven't answered (and that may be because you didn't ask AFAIK) is whether that's a single piece or laminated. The laminated boards were obviously still rosewood. It's a long serial so appears to be late 11 and may well be laminated.

It will definitely have a rosewood fretboard. The question they haven't answered (and that may be because you didn't ask AFAIK) is whether that's a single piece or laminated. The laminated boards were obviously still rosewood. It's a long serial so appears to be late 11 and may well be laminated.

Yes probably they do not even know or the EU support does not bother to ask in the USA. Laminated or not it does not really matter to me, the guitar sounds very good.However, such details are always nice to know and it is sad Gibson does not have a proper Q&A in place. Very easy to have such info from production line linked to serial numbers of the units produced.

Archived