Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP R9

ninopc4

Hi!

Can anyone help with authenticity of a guitar that is being offered to me.

Its a Les Paul 59 Reissue Tobacco. The serial number is R9 60675. Don't know what it means if the serial has an R9. Or should I just treat this serial as 960675?

Its a custom shop guitar too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Can anyone help with authenticity of a guitar that is being offered to me.

Its a Les Paul 59 Reissue Tobacco. The serial number is R9 60675. Don't know what it means if the serial has an R9. Or should I just treat this serial as 960675?

Its a custom shop guitar too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The only people I call is the 1 800 Toll free number for Gibson.

My Gibsons both have serial numbers not available on the internet, and the internet says if your serial number isn't online, phone Gibson.

You could call them from all over the world, I've called them at least twice, and they have educated me on my Gibsons/confirmed what their records say my guitar is.

Add in whatever you need to dial out/your international calling code if you're not dialing from within the US, then +1 for North America and then it's:

1-800-444-2766

an example, my 1996 was actually sold to me as an 1983, and my 2005 was confirmed as the correct year and colour, but wasn't relic'd and so I found out an owner before me modded it/then I found it was upgraded with MusiCap capacitors; Gibson let me know what I had and what I didn't have.

post-92020-007424000 1525780811_thumb.jpg

-that's actually why I'm here, to see how this community feels about MusiCap capacitors.

I like my guitar, I guess, is this an upgrade or a fail?

I mean, it sounds great (because it's a Gibson) but what is it doing to my tone?

Edited by LWAG

Sort-of.

Gibson used an 'R' prefix for some of the re-issue instruments for a while and 2016 was within that group.

Your guitar is, therefore, a 2016 1959 re-issue, instrument #0675 of the '59 reissues made that year.

Hope this helps.

Pip.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...