Gibson Brands Forums

SG with chunky neck

golfnut

So I'm just wondering what my best option is for a chunky neck on an SG. In the past I've owned a Custom Shop Nocaster, Les Paul R7 and a Martin HD-28V all had very big chunky necks. Now that I'm older the really big necks fatigue the hands a bit so now I have more moderately sized but still fairly chunky necks with a Wildwood 52 thin skin Telecaster, Martin D-28 Authentic 1941. D-18 Authentic 1939.

So I'd like to add an SG to this collection. Don't want to spend more than 1k give or take and it must have a more full profile. I know this is uncommon for the SG but I've heard they're out there. Classic 57's would be a plus.

I've owned a couple SG Fadeds that had necks that were....I don't want to say chunky but definitely round and full in a pleasing way. I don't recall the years, maybe one was a 2004, another a 2008. At the same time I had an SG Standard (translucent red, neck binding, chrome covers, etc) and it didn't have the same shape.

Those fadeds were/are the best guitar Gibson has ever made for the buck, imo. And I'm not drawn to many solid bodies so that's a bold statement.

I think you will have to play them to know for sure.

The problem you will most likely have is the consistency in which Gibson necks are shaped. (or, absence of consistency)

Of course the specs for 50s style, verses 60 slim taper, neck profiles are probably a key factor to the averages you'll find.

It's been my experience, that they will vary from "just a little" to "holy crap, that's a lot different" from one model to the next, in the same product offering.

I have two SGs, one a classic from 2005, another a standard from 2015. even tho both are supposed to have to 50s profile, the Classic neck feels not quite as beefy.

with my Les Paul standards (2 as well), one has the 50s profile, the other a 60s slim taper, I would think in that comparison, you would like the 60s neck, as it feels quite a bit thinner. So perhaps at least, "start" there...

I believe it was a 2005 model.

Giant neck, high frets, unlike my HD-28V.

I also had a faded TV Yellow SG Special which which had a pretty stout neck, I think that was 2007 and it had lower fret wire.

If you look at the Gibson factory guitar videos you see that the necks get the final shaping by hand which is why they're all over the place. You really need to try the guitar out before buying if at all possible.

One will just fit you like a glove, the rest won't.

I believe it was a 2005 model.

Giant neck, high frets, unlike my HD-28V.

I also had a faded TV Yellow SG Special which which had a pretty stout neck, I think that was 2007 and it had lower fret wire.

If you look at the Gibson factory guitar videos you see that the necks get the final shaping by hand which is why they're all over the place. You really need to try the guitar out before buying if at all possible.

One will just fit you like a glove, the rest won't.

now ya see, this is where Gibson gets quirky. I have a Classic from the same year, neck is thinner in feel to my 2012 standard

Yes, they pretty much changed it per model such as the 70s tribute, 50 tribute, and 60s Tribute also. Some are pretty healthy though and some just play exceptional and better than others of the same model also. I really prefer playing them in person but I suppose if you have to then you have to take a shot at roulette lol. I dont know but I cant imagine for example thinking the guitar is really cool only to realize after playing for a spell you dont like the neck be it thin or thick. I think most in general just agree that its an imperative point in playing along with playability. As a general rule its never been known Gibson hasn't built really really good entry level guitars. The studio, faded are no different. Today theres a wider variety though so that becomes a point.

Hi

being fair these are my terminologies.. others *have* used them, noone's defined them afaik; please see pic for what i mean.

I have 2011 SG Melody Maker which has what I call a '90s neck'.. medium-small and regular-fat. The frets are small Gibson. wish I owned a SG Standard with that neck.

I got the slim taper on the SG Tribute ("Gothic Hotrod"), don't like it, it has huge frets*, been thinking about refretting it to Gibson small frets (or Fender vintage pre-radiused ones and sand them down a bit with a radius block).

x4lkko.png

This is an interesting thread! [thumbup]

For most of my life necks were shrouded in mystery and mostly still are.. rarely do we see YT reviews give us a 360 look at the neck, which is as dumb as a bag of bricks that they don't do that, as its essential information to buying online.

I wish there was a trusted resource on necks and neck shapes.. flip couldn't Gibson do it for the community?

If you know of one with 360 examples.. please lmk with a link :)

*saying that.. I have a slim taper on the Scroll Custom and really like it, but the frets have worn down a bit there to near flat/just below half way.

About 12/13 they really started experimenting with the neck profiles and neck joints bodies as you know, on the SG before the 12/13 period the RI used the 60 profile and era neck joint/body, the standard and special used the same later 60 joint and profile-50. I dont know I like the later joint better without the batwing guard as they introduced in the 12-13 time frame and is on todays standard. So to me first off theres a profile difference in both the 60 and 60 profile and not very similar imho, then the joint and older body style were married. To me the SG 60 also doesnt feel as thin as the LP or ES 60 profiles. The largest neck I played on both SG and LP since then -both were maple necks and on the LPJ and SGJ. Those are rather large. That said im playing a 60 tribute SG 2013 and while I wouldnt say its as large as those SGJs its very similar to the past Standards pre-2012.

So I'm just wondering what my best option is for a chunky neck on an SG. In the past I've owned a Custom Shop Nocaster, Les Paul R7 and a Martin HD-28V all had very big chunky necks. Now that I'm older the really big necks fatigue the hands a bit so now I have more moderately sized but still fairly chunky necks with a Wildwood 52 thin skin Telecaster, Martin D-28 Authentic 1941. D-18 Authentic 1939.

So I'd like to add an SG to this collection. Don't want to spend more than 1k give or take and it must have a more full profile. I know this is uncommon for the SG but I've heard they're out there. Classic 57's would be a plus.

The 2016 SG Faded T has the 50s style neck. Apparently Gibson had some overstocks because new ones popped at various dealers at the end of 2017. You might still be able to find one.

Archived