Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Century 1966 - Strings

Sheilsoft

Hi folks,

Recently bought the excellent Century 1966 archtop guitar. What a superb guitar... now my favourite from my little collection.

I now need to buy some new strings, but looking at the range of gauges pre-strung on purchase... D’Addario 11, 14, 19(wound), 30, 41,52, this set is not available.

The closest set I can find is the D’Addario EXL115W, 11, 14, 21(wound), 28,38,49 set... a slightly heavier 3rd string and lighter bottom 3, which may require action adjustment.

Anyone know anything closer?

Don’t understand why Epiphone sell a guitar set up for a string set that isn’t available.

Rgds,

Howard

Thanks... I was trying to avoid going down that route, but looks like the only way to get a close match.

Rgds,

Howard

One other thing would be to check for an L-5 string set. Gibson discontinued them back around 2013 I think but you might be able to find a few sets on Ebay. There's at least one in the EU: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-L-5-cordiera-per-chitarra-elettrica-SEG-900L/332507037645?hash=item4d6af6bfcd:g:6tgAAOSwaSZaTHWr

Eventually you'll have to build your own or find something else that works.

Hi folks,

Recently bought the excellent Century 1966 archtop guitar. What a superb guitar... now my favourite from my little collection.

I now need to buy some new strings, but looking at the range of gauges pre-strung on purchase... D’Addario 11, 14, 19(wound), 30, 41,52, this set is not available.

The closest set I can find is the D’Addario EXL115W, 11, 14, 21(wound), 28,38,49 set... a slightly heavier 3rd string and lighter bottom 3, which may require action adjustment.

Anyone know anything closer?

Don’t understand why Epiphone sell a guitar set up for a string set that isn’t available.

Rgds,

Howard

https://www.stringjoy.com/categories/strings/electric-guitar-strings/6-string-electric/

you're welcome

Johnny

Maybe take a look at Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing strings. Excellent strings, a little more pricey, though. You can build sets. Didn't see .19Ws, but they have .18Ws. A couple of pro Jazz players recommended them for my Zephyr Blues Deluxe, loved them.

• 3 years later...

I think I'm way out of date on this thread but I have been using  Ernie Ball 11- 48 power slinky on my inspired by 1966 Century... they sound good, they hold their tuning . No intonation or adjustment needed after initial set up, great guitar challenges you to play in  different way, very expressive