Gibson Brands Forums

A Bird in the Hand

MorrisrownSal

My poor friend reminisces about his long-gone Hummingbird Vintage in another thread. I long for the one I sold as well.

I have tried to get along with replacements, but it hasn't worked out. I tried a Standard. I tried a Country Western Reissue. Nope. Which made me feel even dumber for selling her... to a forum member here (who also sold it).

I did take a chance on a 1999 Gibson Hummingbird Early 60s Reissue that was listed by Jon Garon on his site, just the end of last week. It was up for about 8 hours, and I bought it for probably a fair price. It arrived today.

The guitar is not pristine - it has some hairline cracks and crazing - some... and you have to hold it in the right light to see it. Also the action is a tad high, and I am very particular about how I like my guitars to play, so it will get a setup proper in a week or two. Maybe three. I think Jon Garon wanted me to be wowed by the guitar - it was strung with brand new Lifespan Mediums. At work it THUNDERED. When I got it home this evening, I took the mediums off and put on Gibson Masterbilt 80/20 lights; I wanted to head how she behaves in her native string. I also cleaned the board and polished her up in the process - examining details.

It is important to note that this is the heaviest of my guitars. It has no electronics, yet it is substantially heavier than my D18, J45, J50, and D15. This contrasts with my recollection that the Hummingbird Vintage was light as a feather. Anyways, She nevertheless sounds wonderful. I have a few days to return her, but I won't. She is miles ahead of my former Standard and CW. And with the light strings she is still the loudest of my guitars. She might be nasty, and she might be fat. But I dont think I'll be the guy to tell her that. I think she will be my Heavy-handed Hackensack Mama.

So... she is not the dainty air-light feather I expected; she is different, and I like! One last thing - real deal Guard. No flubber....

2yLYleTl.jpg

hXfGQPKl.jpg

8gt3Audl.jpg

97HhaGXl.jpg

jLWSUZtl.jpg

Hey - I really look forward to hear this one. And not least to follow the relationship.

The hue is beautiful - especially in the 2 upper pics; so is the rest.

Might have asked before, but is the guard engraved and do we see a black-ring rosette ? , , , , and is there some kind of cross on the lower bridge-wing !?

I like the fact that it's been played and wonder what exactly adds the weight.

Have you examined the inner circumstances and perhaps compared with the contemporary models ?

Don't think we ever had a Bird from this phase here before. Jinder's is significantly older. Only make things more thrilling.

Anyway, have fun and keep us posted.

My poor friend reminisces about his long-gone Hummingbird Vintage in another thread. I long for the one I sold as well.

I have tried to get along with replacements, but it hasn't worked out. I tried a Standard. I tried a Country Western Reissue. Nope. Which made me feel even dumber for selling her... to a forum member here (who also sold it).

I did take a chance on a 1999 Gibson Hummingbird Early 60s Reissue that was listed by Jon Garon on his site, just the end of last week. It was up for about 8 hours, and I bought it for probably a fair price. It arrived today.

The guitar is not pristine - it has some hairline cracks and crazing - some... and you have to hold it in the right light to see it. Also the action is a tad high, and I am very particular about how I like my guitars to play, so it will get a setup proper in a week or two. Maybe three. I think Jon Garon wanted me to be wowed by the guitar - it was strung with brand new Lifespan Mediums. At work it THUNDERED. When I got it home this evening, I took the mediums off and put on Gibson Masterbilt 80/20 lights; I wanted to head how she behaves in her native string. I also cleaned the board and polished her up in the process - examining details.

It is important to note that this is the heaviest of my guitars. It has no electronics, yet it is substantially heavier than my D18, J45, J50, and D15. This contrasts with my recollection that the Hummingbird Vintage was light as a feather. Anyways, She nevertheless sounds wonderful. I have a few days to return her, but I won't. She is miles ahead of my former Standard and CW. And with the light strings she is still the loudest of my guitars. She might be nasty, and she might be fat. But I dont think I'll be the guy to tell her that. I think she will be my Heavy-handed Hackensack Mama.

So... she is not the dainty air-light feather I expected; she is different, and I like! One last thing - real deal Guard. No flubber....

2yLYleTl.jpg

hXfGQPKl.jpg

8gt3Audl.jpg

97HhaGXl.jpg

jLWSUZtl.jpg

Well I'm going to say that it's really lovely, and agree with the others about the wonderful color in the finish. It fits right in with the crowd you have there!

Here is a close up of the rosette and guard, EM

rD3VHfSl.jpg

Looks engraved to me... Not much wear. I know the guitar has been PLAYED, as the fretboard has evidence. Yet the top has little evidence. Perhaps he was a fingerpicker.

Oh.. and Davef - you cut me deep.....

Oh, I am keeping the Bird. I'll try to get a recording up this weekend.

Just a bit of craic

You have been a bit flaky in the past ya know

I hope it's a beauty.

Figured out why it's heavy yet ?

Definitely mahogany ??

I can take it! Yes... I have been.

I will weigh the guitar so it's not in my head. Looks mahogany. I'll poke around inside with a mirror. I have already seen what appears to be a newer bridge plate.

Also... when I see used versions of this guitar on the web, they have Grover's. This has gold tulips. Gibson Deluxe. Th visual effect is stunning. This finish... the gold... the antique binding.

I went on Sweetwater's site. They sell Hummingbirds - Vintage and not... The Vintage weighs about 4lbs. The standards weight 4lbs 13 oz. I am guessing mine weighs close to the standards. The J45s show big differences as well. Vintage = 3lbs 10oz. Standard = 4lbs 8oz.

It's electric and never on :)

You would think the lack of a pipe on the stove would have been a dead giveaway.

Anyway a hearty congrats. And if there is anything I have learned, there are too many variables that come to together to make sound of a guitar come out to sweat grain count per inch, weight and such. Our 1960 J-200 weighs easily twice as much as any Bozeman-made version I have played. But there is not a version that has come out of Montana that we would trade it for.

Here is a close up of the rosette and guard, EM

Not sure this is engraved - I could be wrong. But definitely the black-ring-rosette. Have to check my same-period-Dove to see what they chose there.

Look forward to the first track.

Wise move to rewind to square 1 Masterbuilts 80/20 btw. - though hardly a soul nowadays probably knows if they were used back in 999.

A beauty in good hands.

Dear hummingbird, congrats on Sals, you found a great home, love the natural finish on walls. Let us hear Sals voice when you get the chance to record something.

Hahe he. . ^

Archived