Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson Epiphone SG 'Neck Dive" Poll - Gibson Brands Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Epiphone SG 'Neck Dive" Poll

Poll: Gibson Epiphone SG 'Neck Dive" Poll (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Does your SG's neck dive when using a vinyl guitar strap?

1. Yes (10 votes [47.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

2. No (7 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. I don't care I love my SG (4 votes [19.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

View PostEpiSheriMan, on 31 January 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

Well I did say it was a 'sweeping statement', no? I thought it would get a rise out of a few peeps... [biggrin]

I was hoping to get more data from the poll but that didn't happen to prove my 'sweeping statement'. I am basing my opinion on reading all the various gutar forums on the issue and the fact that most players who say that they don't have the issue mostly use a wide leather straps and therefore don't feel neck dive. Yes we all know that all guitar woods are different and there are tuners and whammy barfactors that add weight to various parts of an SG but fundamentally the SG model is an unbalanced guitar design created by Gibson back in 1961. The thin lightwight body, heavy neck weight, freatboard length all help to contribute to this.

Are there expections? Of course, but I think that the percentage of SG's with neck dive are far higher than without.

Anyway its just one persons opinion right?

The average weight of a raw SG Standard body is 4.03 lbs, which is in the normal range for a Gibson SG-style guitar. Average weight of the neck is .98 lbs according to Gibson and thats the "routed" SG. MAYBE the small percent is sort of like a squeaky wheel. Seems to be, just saying....but you like the SG light did you say? LOL, hey mine has Grovers and doesnt do that. Try a black chrome pick-guard they are pretty heavy, wont even know the difference.

This post has been edited by Golden: 31 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

#22 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Nanook Rubs It
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

View PostFarnsbarns, on 31 January 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

I think you misread that. [lol]

Yeah I did. Its' funny though.

#23 User is offline   american cheez 

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

of all the SGs and other double cut guitars like the ibanez ar325, most of them had some neck dive but not all. i never understood how people get success from a wider rougher strap. all it ever did for me was bunch up my shirt in the back and left shoulder. i saw the youtube video where the guy filled the control cavity with shot to offset the weight bias. i thought it was the worst possible solution. jmo though, ymmv. i think it's a matter of pin placement, but i don't actually know one way or the other. neck dive wouldn't stop me from buying another one though. they're just too cool
yakuni tatanai

#24 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

I don' t have neck dive issue wih my Gibsons SG.
The most sensitive SG to neck dive is a '61 RI shape + heavy tuners , the most important and invisible parameter is the weight of the body

The Epi G400 body is made with light woods, the design is '61 RI inspired and tuners are hravy Groover many times.
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   tx-ogre 

• You Are What You Is
  • LocationOn The Bus (Phydeaux III)

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

I answered "I don't care," but I have never played either of my Gibson SGs (a 2004 SG Supreme and a 2007 '67 SG Special Reissue with P-90s GOW) with a nylon strap so I can't comment with personal experience. I only use quality leather straps.

#26 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:35 AM

View Postgsgbass, on 30 January 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

I use only leather straps, and usually the rougher suede leather bottom layer.

eggzzactly. they don't move..
/Ray

#27 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

The odds of you receiving a SG with neck dive seems rather slim. Just saying, course looking for very very lights SGs will increase the odds and probably more so with this model. The SG Jr is one of the models basically stripped down and light to begin with as the weights indicate. The Jr weight reduction comes not from special selected magical wood but reduction of hardware in the body area where it would add weight to the body end-reduce neck dive. They had one the other day at 5.5 lbs. The bodies are just a lot of the average 4lb bodies as are the necks.

https://www.sweetwat...AyABEgKlxPD_BwE
with

The front strap button placement does make a difference in such a situation since its placed in back of the balance point IF the wood neck is unusually heavy and the body unusually light. Which is why I suggest this is much rarer than people assume. The mid point is the 12th fret the guitar 40-inches - half way 12th fret.

This post has been edited by Golden: 01 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

#28 User is offline   EpiSheriMan 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

View PostGolden, on 01 February 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

The odds of you receiving a SG with neck dive seems rather slim. Just saying, course looking for very very lights SGs will increase the odds and probably more so with this model. The SG Jr is one of the models basically stripped down and light to begin with as the weights indicate. The Jr weight reduction comes not from special selected magical wood but reduction of hardware in the body area where it would add weight to the body end-reduce neck dive. They had one the other day at 5.5 lbs. The bodies are just a lot of the average 4lb bodies as are the necks.

https://www.sweetwat...AyABEgKlxPD_BwE
with

The front strap button placement does make a difference in such a situation since its placed in back of the balance point IF the wood neck is unusually heavy and the body unusually light. Which is why I suggest this is much rarer than people assume. The mid point is the 12th fret the guitar 40-inches - half way 12th fret.

Thanks Golden. That all makes sense regarding hardware.

Mine is 6 lb 6 oz so unless I just had bad luck I'd say it's not just the light 5.5 lb juniors that suffer from the dreaded 'dive'...

#-o
'63 Gibson Country & Western
'64 Gibson J-50
'79 Gibson Les Paul KM
'97 Epiphone Sheraton II VS - Assembled in USA
'18 Gibson SG Junior

#29 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

6.6 wow, you may not need a strap it probably floats. So did you name this sg "neck dive"? And photos of neck dive? I kinda like P-90s ....maybe they put your strap button slightly out of tolerance. I only seen "one" with neck dive back in 99-Standard with a stock ABR nice SG too. Didnt stop anyone from playing it. I guess once in a blue moon, one must slip through. :)

That must be one of the rare light mahogany bodies under average at 3.6 lbs married to a slightly heavier neck. Rare animal in the kingdom. They usually sound great as you see most of these rare animals ALSO sound very good. :) Did you say you had a photo?

This post has been edited by Golden: 01 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

#30 User is offline   EpiSheriMan 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:54 AM

View PostGolden, on 01 February 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

6.6 wow, you may not need a strap it probably floats. So did you name this sg "neck dive"? And photos of neck dive?

Hahaaaa, thats very funny Golden and thanks for saying that I am one of the unlucky ones with the dreaded condition!!! It makes me feel so much better.... ](*,) Anyway, I'm sticking with my opinion that SG's, especially the Jnr's, are going to be predominately neck divers, and that I am not alone.... [rolleyes]

'll try and figure out how to post a photo although I'm not sure that its going to help explain why mine has neck dive [tongue]
'64 Gibson J-50
'79 Gibson Les Paul KM
'18 Gibson SG Junior

#31 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:17 AM

View PostEpiSheriMan, on 02 February 2018 - 04:54 AM, said:

I'm sticking with my opinion..... and that I am not alone

'll try and figure out how to post a photo

Thumps-up....thats OK ....me too, try the phone camera sometimes they work.

This post has been edited by Golden: 02 February 2018 - 05:18 AM

#32 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:54 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:22 AM

Dilly Dilly!!!

#34 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

Who cares about a bit of neck dive? It doesn't dive when you're playing it, and it doesnt dive when you're sat down. So either sit down or play it. :mellow:
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#35 User is offline   EpiSheriMan 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

View PostGolden, on 02 February 2018 - 05:17 AM, said:

Thumps-up....thats OK ....me too, try the phone camera sometimes they work.

Thats the easy part.... [scared]
'64 Gibson J-50
'79 Gibson Les Paul KM
'18 Gibson SG Junior

#36 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

A wide leather strap with suede back worked for me when I had an SG. I don't remember it having any neck dive even before getting the new strap but I haven't had that guitar in years.

#37 User is offline   Riffster 

• Since 1969
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

If your guitar has neck dive and do not like gripping straps that will bunch up your shirt this is what I did:

A mutli-tool holster with belt loop and velcro that attaches to the strap on the back of the guitar. I put a 1/2 led ingot in it and that's all you need, if the guitar has extreme neck dive and you are using a super slick strap maybe an additional 1/4 pound or 1/2 will be needed. Adding one pound will make any guitar balance like an Explorer.

You can also just leave a multi-tool in the holster instead of the led if the tool is heavy enough.

The nice thing about this is there is no modification to the guitar and can be transferred to others, a slick strap will work and not grab your shirt.

I had to do this because I have nerve problems stemming all the way from my neck and just that effort to be propping up the neck with my hand was bothering me a lot.

Posted Image
Struck by the arrow of weakness on the guilded path to forgiveness

#38 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:14 PM

The best solution, is to play any SG (or any other guitar, for that matter) BEFORE you buy it! I now have
5 Gibson SG's, and NONE of them have the dreaded "neck dive!" I bought all (but 1) from my favorite dealer,
and got to "cheery pick" the best one, out of the 4 or 5 they had in stock, at the time. The one I did by,
on-line, from Sweetwater, a 2018 SG Jr., was the heaviest of the 4 they showed. Luckily, it also had a nice
dark fingerboard, and lovely grain, in the body! So...try, before you buy! [biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

#39 User is offline   cody78 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:33 AM

Like CB, none of my SG's have suffered from neck dive either (I own a couple of the same SG's as him - Gibson SG Custom Kirk Douglas and an SG Original). I've never owned an Epi SG so can't comment on them, but I have an Epiphone Thunderbird bass in my collection which does neck dive a little bit. Doesn't bother me at all and I think it's a really nice bass - used it on some recordings recently and sounded great.

This post has been edited by cody78: 12 February 2018 - 03:33 AM

#40 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

I might add, that none of the other SG examples, from which I picked the one I liked most,
of each model, suffered from "neck dive," either! That would be about 18 or so, other SG
examples, in total. So...??? :-k

CB

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users