Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson Epiphone SG 'Neck Dive" Poll - Gibson Brands Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Epiphone SG 'Neck Dive" Poll

Poll: Gibson Epiphone SG 'Neck Dive" Poll (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Does your SG's neck dive when using a vinyl guitar strap?

1. Yes (12 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. No (10 votes [37.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

3. I don't care I love my SG (5 votes [18.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !
  • Group: All Access

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

View Post212West, on 11 February 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

Thick, Leather strap
shoulder side natural, not silked
what you see is what it is

Guitar is long gone but the strap remains.
Some things you know to keep,
however after owning the SG Custom
I've never encountered another such diver

Posted Image

SG Custom ? Where ? [biggrin]
Posted Image

#42 User is offline   Riffster 

• Since 1969
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

View Postcharlie brown, on 12 February 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

I might add, that none of the other SG examples, from which I picked the one I liked most,
of each model, suffered from "neck dive," either! That would be about 18 or so, other SG
examples, in total. So...??? :-k

CB

Did you strap them on?

SG dive to several degrees, in my experience just about all of them do and a lot has to do with where you wear the guitar, if you strap'em high there is less run on the strap and the neck dive will be less. If the guitar is strapped very low that can help with neck dive as well. In between it gets tricky.

The new SG I bought has a slight neck dive, now, many would not consider this particular case a neck dive but I do. No way i could use a seat belt strap with it.
Struck by the arrow of weakness on the guilded path to forgiveness

#43 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

View PostRiffster, on 13 February 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

Did you strap them on?

SG dive to several degrees, in my experience just about all of them do and a lot has to do with where you wear the guitar, if you strap'em high there is less run on the strap and the neck dive will be less. If the guitar is strapped very low that can help with neck dive as well. In between it gets tricky.

The new SG I bought has a slight neck dive, now, many would not consider this particular case a neck dive but I do. No way i could use a seat belt strap with it.

Of course...I always do that, to see how balanced they are, in a standing playing position. :D

CB

#44 User is offline   AngelDeVille 

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:41 AM

Posted Image
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600...

#45 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:52 AM

This thing must do a Full Gainer With A Half Twist.

Posted Image

#46 User is offline   'Scales 

• Lurking at the threshold
  • Locationpeace

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:07 AM

View PostFZ Fan, on 22 February 2018 - 03:52 AM, said:

This thing must do a Full Gainer With A Half Twist.

Posted Image

[love] I think I could just about forgive it. [blush]
we had longer ways to go, but no matter, the road is life.

#47 User is offline   JAF 

• LocationNorway

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

My Epi SG - G400 Pro does not neck dive. Not sure if the strap locks is original but they were on the guitar when i bought it. However, I don't use the original nylon strap. I use an Ernie Ball nylon strap.

Attached File(s)

Guitars: 2015 Epiphone G-400 Pro, 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Special II Ebony, 2008 Ibanez Xiphos XPT700FX, 2009 Ibanez Exotic Wood C30ASERGL
Amps: 2015 Laney Ironheart IRT Studio, 2018 Laney IRT 212 2x12 Black Cab.
Pedals: 2018 Fender The Bends Compressor, Visiual Sound Angry Fuzz Distortion/Octaver, Boss TU-3 Pedal Tuner

#48 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostJAF, on 23 February 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

My Epi SG - G400 Pro does not neck dive. Not sure if the strap locks is original but they were on the guitar when i bought it. However, I don't use the original nylon strap. I use an Ernie Ball nylon strap.

An Epiphone G400 without neck dive, IN-CRE-DI-BLE , your Epi will become collector ... [biggrin]

:lol:
Posted Image

#49 User is offline   JAF 

• LocationNorway

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:26 AM

View PostRevolution Six, on 23 February 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

An Epiphone G400 without neck dive, IN-CRE-DI-BLE , your Epi will become collector ... [biggrin]

:lol:

Is this statement even close to reality? I mean, my XPT700 dives like an eagle/firebird, so it was quite refreshing to play a guitar that doesn't.

This post has been edited by JAF: 24 February 2018 - 03:27 AM

Guitars: 2015 Epiphone G-400 Pro, 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Special II Ebony, 2008 Ibanez Xiphos XPT700FX, 2009 Ibanez Exotic Wood C30ASERGL
Amps: 2015 Laney Ironheart IRT Studio, 2018 Laney IRT 212 2x12 Black Cab.
Pedals: 2018 Fender The Bends Compressor, Visiual Sound Angry Fuzz Distortion/Octaver, Boss TU-3 Pedal Tuner

#50 User is offline   eldorado2001 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Wth is the problem here? Good grief, a guitar is played using both hands. Just don't let go of the damn thing and it will be fine. Is SG neck dive a deal breaker? Do you play it or do you just walk around with it hanging loose? I guarantee that if I let go of the neck of any of my SGs it will head for the floor, so I don't let go of it. If you let go of the forearm stock of a rifle or shotgun the barrel will dive, too. Do you shoot with one hand?

#51 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

^-- Put the crappy seat belt straps away, and use a better strap (suede, brushed leather) Problem solved...
/Ray

#52 User is offline   01GT eibach 

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:37 AM

I have had my 1979 Gibson SG Standard since 1982, and played the proverbial crap out of it for decades. Additionally, I have played A LOT of Gibson SGs. Not until this thread have I even vaguely knew that "neck dive" was even an issue for some people's SGs. It certainly is not at all an issue with my '79 (and I do use a light non-leather guitar strap with it) ... maybe because it was made in Kalamazoo?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by 01GT eibach: 01 April 2018 - 02:39 AM

#53 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

I have 2 Les Paul DC's that came with strap buttons on the horn, which didn't dive, but I did what a lot of people used to do and I moved the buttons to the base of the neck where SG's have them mounted. Now they have a little neck dive, but the position feels better with what seems like more freedom of movement. I also have 2 Epi 61 SG Specials with the 61 thin taper D profile neck, typical on the Epi G400 models, they also dive a little. But the ease of access all the way to the 22 fret makes it worth it. With my right arm resting on the body and my left on the neck, 99% of the time I have contact with the guitar. I used to use oversized extra wide leather Bass straps. But now just use Ernie Ball seat belt straps, easier to move around when I'm getting animated. Almost all of my guitars have the old Kluson style of tuners that helps keep the weight of the head stock down.

I just recently sold my Gibson SG-X with 24 frets which had the newer style large tapered butt joint, which allows the strap button position to be farther forward creating a little better balance, even with having the heavy stock cast Grover style tuners it had zero neck dive.

So basically I wear my guitars low and I like the nylon straps that can slide easily when you need to reposition. :)

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 02 April 2018 - 03:35 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image Posted Image

#54 User is offline   Pin 

• Thread Killer
  • LocationSouthend, Essex

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:18 AM

View PostJAF, on 24 February 2018 - 02:26 AM, said:

Is this statement even close to reality? I mean, my XPT700 dives like an eagle/firebird, so it was quite refreshing to play a guitar that doesn't.

Not with me it isn't JAF. My Epiphone SG-400 dives like Billy-Oh even with "grippy" straps.

In fact it was so bad that I placed lead fishing weights (about 3 ozs) inside the control cavity which hardly makes a difference to the weight of the guitar but completely stopped the diving. The weights do not move they are fixed to the bottom opposite corner of the cavity to the neck.

Result = complete satisfactory solution to a problem which irritated the hell out of me.
GUITARS: 1978 Gibson Les Paul 25 / 50; Gibson ES345 1959 Reissue; 1974 Yamaha AE12 jazz box; Yamaha SG2000: Fender "Roland Ready" Strat; Epiphone Les Paul '56; Epiphone SG400; HK Steinberger copy; Cimar Classical.
AMPS & EFFECTS: Various effects, synths and Mesa Maverick 1 x 12.

#55 User is offline   old guy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

I use a wide leather strap that is not sewn, just a straight piece of leather with a ruff rawhide underneath side, and that eliminated most of the dive on my SG's. I find that Epi G400's are way worse with neck dive than their Gibson counterparts.

#56 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:04 AM

View Postold guy, on 04 April 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

I use a wide leather strap that is not sewn, just a straight piece of leather with a ruff rawhide underneath side, and that eliminated most of the dive on my SG's. I find that Epi G400's are way worse with neck dive than their Gibson counterparts.

+ 1000
Posted Image

#57 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

If you have a Gibson or Epiphone SG with the 61 slim taper neck you may have a little neck dive. The Epiphone G400's use the 61 slim taper neck (not including the Epiphone SG's with bolt on's). The Gibson 61 slim taper neck was replaced by the newer longer neck joint that changes the strap button geometry moving it farther forward providing better balance. The 61 slim taper neck SG's are effected by the hardware you have installed, Humbuckers weigh more than P-90's and how many you have installed, Grover style cast weigh more than Kluson style and tremolo's also add a lot of weight. So basically what I am saying here is if you like the 61 neck joint, versus the bulkier new neck joint, the "Neck Dive" will be effected by the weight distribution of your hardware. A lot depends on how often or easy you need to reach for fret 22 and stretch it to the elusive 5th E or beyond.....[thumbup]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

there has been a bit of variation on the neck joint and button placement over the years.

If you have a 61 neck joint with 3 Humbuckers and a tremolo you won't have neck dive.

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 05 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users