Gibson Brands Forums

Dot vs. Traditional

Pat in the hat

Newbie here. Just picked up my 2017 es 335 in light burst yesterday. Brought it home to check the action after an initial neck adjustment. Taking it back today for final set up. While shopping, I was curious about what the difference is between the dot and the traditional other than the fretboard. There is a noticeable price difference. Mine is traditional.

The new block type 335 models are awesome! The new Dot, however, is a downgrade from the old Dot. It has... dang... no binding anymore. That's kind of pitiful. The Dot also has a little different neck, I think. The new one is described as a modified c. Some of the more expensive 335's have more of a slim taper or 60's type neck. My 2011 Dot has binding and kind of a modified c or 60/30 neck. Good luck with yours! [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Gads, I wish there were one set of descriptions for Gibson neck profiles...

Of my three 335's (one each 1990/2000) have the "slim taper" neck and the 2017 block has a "rounded C".

I always "thought" that the dot had a slim taper, everything else was beefier.

Gads, I wish there were one set of descriptions for Gibson neck profiles...

Of my three 335's (one each 1990/2000) have the "slim taper" neck and the 2017 block has a "rounded C".

I always "thought" that the dot had a slim taper, everything else was beefier.

I'd like a Source too where I can look up a Gibson Guitar by Ser.# & get the information re; Specs. If it exists, somebody please post it!

Thanks,

Lars

• 2 months later...

Archived