Gibson Brands Forums

Very good looking guitar

Buc McMaster

This is a beauty! Not Gibson but certainly a looker. A Gretsch Synchromatic 75 from the 1940s. Just wow! It's for sale at Jake's place, here if anyone is interested. I've made an offer, low I might add, and am considering upping my ante. But please feel free to step right up if it strikes your fancy......don't let me stop you! What a pick guard! And headstock! Really nice burst on it too........

fj7fDBk.jpg

That's a funky guitar, but it sounds more like a second-tier archtop (L-48 or L-50) than either a good flat-top or a quality archtop. The lead line sounds ok, but the strummed background is a bit muddy.

Not sure how easy it would be to play with the string tension on that extra-long scale.

Looks cool, but probably more of a novelty player than an all-around guitar.

That's a funky guitar.......

Yes it is. This is a guitar that appeals to me more for what it is than how it might sound. I think it would make a great open mic piece, rigged up lefty with that pick guard on the top. It's one of those cool stage guitars, to my thinking. Amplified with a pickup of some sort I'm sure a passable live tone could be dialed in. It's just so unusual......and pretty to boot!

Gretsch did (or still does) those Ranchers from a few years back. It reminds me of one those in looks and tone. A very cool look but right in archtop territory for my ears. Yes, the right pickup system could bring it in. Good luck with your offer Buc. Jake gets some pretty cool stuff through his hands!

Yes it is. This is a guitar that appeals to me more for what it is than how it might sound. I think it would make a great open mic piece, rigged up lefty with that pick guard on the top. It's one of those cool stage guitars, to my thinking. Amplified with a pickup of some sort I'm sure a passable live tone could be dialed in. It's just so unusual......and pretty to boot!

For that application, it would be pretty neat, assuming the price is right.

This is one you had better play before buying or make sure the store has a good return policy. I have never gotten a hold of one of these that I really fancied. Cool looking as all get out though. When it comes to Gretsch I much preferred the Folk Singer/Jimmie Rodgers model.

If I go into it knowing it will sound more like an arch top than a flat top, then I like the guitar. The old expectations syndrome. Very cool looking as well. If I were in the market I consider it if could get it for a good price. I was able to pick up a 1945 Epiphone Triumph for around $1500 after buying a case, so that would be my benchmark. Hope you end up with it, Buc!

I find it utterly fugly, starting with the pickguard and soundhole.

I kind of like those two features. I got this crazy looking Gretsch a few years back, and actually like it a lot. Same type of soundhole and pickguard, and then some...

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/acoustic/g5022cwfe-12-rancher-falcon-acoustic-electric-12-string-fishman-pickup-system-white

Lars

Archived