Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Know Why Gibson Is using Hybrid Gauge strings now ?

Bluesy69

Hey Guy's my new 2018 Les Paul Traditional is on the way and I noticed in Gibson's description of that guitar and many others that their using 9 & 10 hybrids.

In other words three strings are 9 gauge and three strings are 10 gauge....Does anyone know the reason behind this decision.

I normally use Ernie Ball 9's, but as long as there is no buzzing, and the action is good, I don't think I would mess with the strings until they needed to be changed when the time comes.

I just thought it was a bit odd that they were doing this and I was wondering if anyone knew why....is there benefits to it, or are they just experimenting? Please let me know if you know.

Thanks.

Edited by Bluesy69

I think they are doing it cos they are awesome.. (I didn't actually know they had switched too Hybrids).

For me anyway you get the slightly fatter strings for rhythm work and the slightly lighter strings for high bending lead work... Best of both worlds in my view.

Ive been using the Ernie Ball Hybrid Slkinkies for the last year or so.. LOVE them.

Edited by Rabs
  • Upvote 2

I think they are doing it cos they are awesome.. (I didn't actually know they had switched too Hybrids).

For me anyway you get the slightly fatter strings for rhythm work and the slightly lighter strings for high bending lead work... Best of both worlds in my view.

Ive been using the Ernie Ball Hybrid Slkinkies for the last year or so.. LOVE them.

Yes to all of the above. I read about certain players using light strings so I tried 9's and even 8's. The thinner low strings sounded weak and thin (no pun intended). The hybrid 9-46's are the best of both worlds, for me. Solid tone and good feel.

They got a good deal on a few pallets of some string manufacturers overstock? Henry read part of an article on the internet about hybrid stings? Some goof in production ordered a bunch of hybrid sets by accident? They are getting rid of old stocks of strings?

My question is do they cut the nuts for the hybrid string gauge.

my only guess at such shenanigans is to attempt to create some more of a "balanced" tension set out of the box

I tried D'Addario's NYXLs, It was said once you tried them, you'll never go back.. Guess what, I went back to regular XL110s..

Maybe I just aint cool enough..

I think both of my 2017 Les Pauls came with 9-46 strings. I can't remember what the manual said they were. The first thing I did with each was change the strings to my preferred Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (9-42) on each. I did try Ernie Ball 10's on them and it didn't click with me since I've played the Super Slinkies for 30+ years. They're just what I'm used to.

My question is do they cut the nuts for the hybrid string gauge.

I would hope so. It's pretty basic stuff

I've been wondering about this. What I have read from various luthier sources seems to vary bit. Some say the slots should be the exact width as the string thickness, others say slightly bigger. I don't know which is true or if both could be correct.

If you have the patience to look through the specs of various guitars on the Gibson website you'll see that on some guitars they are exact, others they are wider than the strings to various degrees. I don't know what is correct and I don't even know if the specs from the website are correct, it wouldn't surprise me if they got that wrong.

Black Dog: I changed the hybrid set on my Tribute to regular 10s with no problems. I looked up the specs on Gibson.com, and they were cut to facilitate regular tens. They list the width of the slots. If I remember correctly, the slot widths on my 2017 V were the same (it also came with a hybrid set, only I like it on that one).

So basically, if the width listed is the same as the one listed for the 2017 Tribute T, and you want to go regular 10s, you'll be fine.

Black Dog: I changed the hybrid set on my Tribute to regular 10s with no problems. I looked up the specs on Gibson.com, and they were cut to facilitate regular tens. They list the width of the slots. If I remember correctly, the slot widths on my 2017 V were the same (it also came with a hybrid set, only I like it on that one).

So basically, if the width listed is the same as the one listed for the 2017 Tribute T, and you want to go regular 10s, you'll be fine.

Hi Pinch. The specs I see for the '17 Tribute T say the nut is cut to the exact string dimensions for 9-46's. The bridge slots are cut wider for some reason. I like the 9-46's, don't want to change.

http://www.gibson.co...ul-Tribute.aspx

Nut Style: Nut Material: Tektoid Width: 1.695" Slots: E: 0.046"

A: 0.036"

D: 0.026"

G: 0.016"

B: 0.011"

e: 0.009"

For the bridge:

Dimensions of String Slots E: 0.058" A: 0.048" D: 0.038" G: 0.028" B: 0.019'' e: 0.014"

Then this guitar has 9-46 strings but the nut is cut wider:

http://www.gibson.co...-Fort-Knox.aspx

So if these specs are all correct, then it seems like the nut can be cut a little wider. I'm sure somebody here knows.

Edited by Black Dog

• 3 years later...