Gibson Brands Forums

New SG day, well, new to me.

Riffster

I guess third time is the charm, finally sold my 50th Anniversary SG since I never got used to the neck profile.

After playing my SG Futura I could not get used to that one either.

After spotting this guitar for a great price I decided to buy it and I am glad I did,

The guitar is very, very well put together. It even measures up to my Explorer.

Fat but comfortable neck profile, great woods, perfect bevels on the body/horns, fret work is perfect and I was really pleased that the funky looking fretboard wood was actually grime! it was the dirtiest fretboard I have ever seen. A good pass with micromesh pads left the fretboard and frets looking beautiful. A good pass with fret doctor and the fingerboard looks great. (did this after the pic I am posting)

It has the PCB electronics, smooth feeling pots, great taper and the values are great, 485K for the tone pots and 385k for the volume pots. The 490 T and R are staying too, good rocking pickups, I am just going to change the covers.

After a clean up and new strings I am digging this guitar.

I will make a bunch of changes but mostly cosmetic and one day I'll refinish it.

I am really happy with this one.

40047333852_8bb50f0fee_c.jpg

It is a 2013. Frankly, the more I looked at the 120th inlay in the 2014s the least I wanted one of those.

I already swapped some parts on this guitar, reflector knobs, nickel aluminum tailpiece, nickel bridge and tuners. The parts on this guitar will go on my Futura since they look better there.

I ordered cheap humbucker plates in order to remove the plastic covers on the pickups. I will install the plates so the pickups can have legs since the current legs are part of the black plastic cover, then I will cover them in nickel covers without holes.

I put an aluminum switch tip on the toggle and removed the poker chip.

I’m getting a pickguard for it as well.

Nice!

Traded my 50th SG for the amp I'm currently using, we chatted about the neck neither of us could get used to.

Oh, and the neck dive all Gibsons are known for.

My Explorer is one of the best put together Gibsons I've ever seen. We are in a parrallell universe we are.

Good luck with it, play it long time in good health!

rct

Thanks.

Yep, we are on the same frequency. This SG has that crisp growl that my Explorer has, mind you, my Explorer still rings better.

I am glad I gave the SG another chance because this is a good guitar. I still think SGs hang funny (as in wrong) but at under $500 all-in this SG will be a keeper.

I like playing SGs sitting down a lot better.

You know one more thing about this SG?

I was ready to use my trusty Stew-Mac fret end file since just about every guitar without binding benefits from a pass with that file but this guitar has great fret ends too. I am still going to round off the frets but the starting point is pretty good already.

Awesome Jorge, I really can’t wait to see what you do with the finish. Should look great with the pickguard and other hardware changes. The wood and bevels do look great and that’s cool that it’s got 24 frets

rct don't ya know the Bigsby fixes the neck dive [biggrin]

Awesome Jorge, I really can’t wait to see what you do with the finish. Should look great with the pickguard and other hardware changes. The wood and bevels do look great and that’s cool that it’s got 24 frets

rct don't ya know the Bigsby fixes the neck dive [biggrin]

I have a can of the same copper nitro I used on the V, this time though I will spray it with a can of inca silver I have then spray the copper on top of that, it should turn out great. This time though I will not clear coat it, so it'll be the equivalent of those satin nitro Gibsons.

For now I will make cosmetic changes and play it, not going to even consider a refinish until spring arrives. I have way too much going on to get into a painting job, I have now 3 guitars I want to paint. I may do a mass production and save time. The good thing is I enjoy it.

^^^

Oh yea, it arrived today. I already had my eye on one. Very good quality pickguard, looks fantastic on the guitar, I have not installed it though.

I actually suggested the guy that makes them that he should offer wide bevel cut, after all all he has to do is switch to a 60 degree bit but he did not seem to warm to the idea of buying another router bit, they can be pricey.

I also ordered a set of base plates for the pickups from China since they cost like $1.75 for a set but they screwed up and sent only one, another one is one the way.

I will remove the plastic covers but the legs for the screws are part of the plastic so base plates with legs must be screwed on, then I am covering the pickups with no-hole covers.

Apparently the plastic is too thick and does not allow to se the height of the pickups for optimal sound. they do sound muddy, if this does not fix it I have two good sets of pickups in my parts box.

A steal at the price. Congrats!

...Just proves that simple is most often the most elegant of all...
...I will spray it with a can of inca silver I have then spray the copper on top of that, it should turn out great....

I have now 3 guitars I want to paint.......The good thing is I enjoy it...

I'm glad you enjoy the finishing and I'm sure it will end up looking really nice but if it was MY guitar (and if I had the skill!) I'd be happy simply to give it a really shiny clear-coat of Nitro...

Looking forward to the 'After' pics......or even the 'In Progress' pics! My feeling is once the 'guard and p'up covers are on it should look superb!

Pip.

A steal at the price. Congrats!

I'm glad you enjoy the finishing and I'm sure it will end up looking really nice but if it was MY guitar (and if I had the skill!) I'd be happy simply to give it a really shiny clear-coat of Nitro...

Looking forward to the 'After' pics......or even the 'In Progress' pics! My feeling is once the 'guard and p'up covers are on it should look superb!

Pip.

Well, one of the reasons for the refinish is that I am going to shave the neck to my liking, the current profile is excellent but needs to be thinner for me, just like my Flying V.

Also, this guitar cannot simply get a coat of nitro as it would sink right into the mahogany grain, I would have to add wood filler and sanding sealer to get a surface that can be then finished in nitro. Only the maple neck does not need that stuff.

For now, I will play it as is after the cosmetic mods I am doing. The grain does look very pretty, it is set off by the black on the pickguard.

I was going to post a mock up but then that spoils the final result shot.

Archived